Proposal: FLA-PHI

HockeyRulez

Panthers hockey since 1993
Nov 11, 2010
The Sunshine State
Florida trades one of their few dmen who's good defensively for another offensive dman when they already have a guy like Yandle (as well as Ekblad) to provide offense and run the PP?

Dubious at best imo
It’s likely we are going to lose Hoffman and maybe even Dadonov. If you watch the Panthers you know how big of a loss that is so if Ghost can qb and contribute on the PP he fills a big need imo. He’s responsible defensively as well; just needs a change of scenery

Reactions: lancer247

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
It’s likely we are going to lose Hoffman and maybe even Dadonov. If you watch the Panthers you know how big of a loss that is so if Ghost can qb and contribute on the PP he fills a big need imo. He’s responsible defensively as well; just needs a change of scenery

I admit I don't watch the Panthers much but I don't buy it. Ghost would fill a different role than those guys, and even if you feel he's a competent defender, he's still a downgrade from Weegar on a team that can struggle defensively

Anyway, agree to disagree I guess.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany

and then again aslong Yandle is in Florida, he will be PP QB and for the 2nd Unite we have new player and other. This trade made only sense, before we sign 2 complete new Lines.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Is Ghost a RHD? I see the value both sides and I would hope Zito has a clear view on Ghost’s ability to rebound; as others said, he fills a similar role to Yands rho

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I'd do it in a New York minute. Weeger is a good defenseman without the knee issues that Gostisbehere has had. Coach Vigneault and Gostisbehere did not get off to a good start last year , and the fact that he's been bandied around the league will not make him very willing to show up put in a stellar effort to remain on this team.

HockeyRulez

Nov 11, 2010
The Sunshine State
To me it boils down to three things:

It seems to me that Florida is not willing to commit long term to Weegar.

I think Ghost would have a chance to be more impactful on the scoresheet.

Florida has been looking for a dman to play with Ekblad for a long time. This deal brings a hometown boy back and allows the panthers to move on from Weegar.

Reactions: Tripod

HockeyRulez

Nov 11, 2010
The Sunshine State
Not a fan of this. Weegar trending up and Ghost trending down.
Ghost is gonna be at least a million more than Weegar and we ship out decent defense for more offense/PPQB when we still have Yandle.
I feel like the risk of signing Weegar is greater than Ghost.

I think Weegar is asking for more than 4mil/yr and for more than 3 years.

If Weegar accepted the kind of deal you’re suggesting I think it would’ve been signed by now tbh.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I feel like the risk of signing Weegar is greater than Ghost.

I think Weegar is asking for more than 4mil/yr and for more than 3 years.

If Weegar accepted the kind of deal you’re suggesting I think it would’ve been signed by now tbh.

Do we need Ghost or Weegar more though?

Weegar's term will depend on security now or possibly more money in a year or two.
I think he will prefer 1-2 years so it lines up when the cap goes up and fans are back in the stands.
He'll be 29 if two year deal and likely earn a new deal at $5 million+ if he can produce 30ish pts and be a consistent top 4 D. Similar to Brodie's deal.

If he locks up long term now, he takes the chance of losing millions as this may be his last big payday.
A 4-5 year deal takes him to around 31-32 years old and could be under $4 mil per with covid prices.
With his limited resume, seems his path will be free agency asap and chase a bigger deal at 27/28 years old.
Someone may give him a 5 year deal @ $5 to 5.5 million if he stays healthy.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I'm not a fan of trading Ghost in just about any deal.

But if AV is gonna continue to not utilize him properly, this is probably a deal I do and figure out the ED later.

That said, most of the risk resides with Florida, so if Zito had any interest in this deal and was smart, he'd get some sort of additional asset out of it.

HockeyRulez

Nov 11, 2010
The Sunshine State
I'm not a fan of trading Ghost in just about any deal.

But if AV is gonna continue to not utilize him properly, this is probably a deal I do and figure out the ED later.

That said, most of the risk resides with Florida, so if Zito had any interest in this deal and was smart, he'd get some sort of additional asset out of it.
By all means throw in a mid round pick lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad