Confirmed Trade: [FLA/PHI] Claude Giroux (@50%), Connor Bunnaman, German Rubtsov, 2024 5th for Owen Tippett, 2024 1st round pick, 2023 3rd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Yep, he had the balls and it's a good sign.

Sometimes you loose sometimes you win but America wouldn't have been discovered if some human didn't have the balls to take risks...

Here in MTL we were stuck with a gm that didn't want to risk sacrifice his late 1st rd choices to address his team needs, when it was near contention.

At the end of the day the team never won anything and all of those late 1st Rd picks became busts...
Yeah that’s pretty much how I felt. Look at where drafting had gotten us…nowhere. So might as well do trades and reclamation projects. So far that’s actually worked better. Drafts are so overrated here. Like yeah of course they’re important but they’re way overblown it’s just one part of the team building process.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Great post. And 100% accurate, IMO.

Moral of the story. Usually at around Christmas, some teams start to have visions of Stanley Cups dancing in their head, and subsequently overpay for playoff rentals. It's always been that way. If it works, they're hailed as geniuses, if not, they're mocked on HfBoards.
Oates was cooked and ouillette busted. Giroux won that round and is still playing and tippet is panning out . Very different scenarios

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Yeah that’s pretty much how I felt. Look at where drafting had gotten us…nowhere. So might as well do trades and reclamation projects. So far that’s actually worked better. Drafts are so overrated here. Like yeah of course they’re important but they’re way overblown it’s just one part of the team building process.
And statistically, late 1st rd picks, passed the 25th, have like 50% chance of becoming a regular NHL player (300+ games). But by regular it means the majority will end up being 3-4th liners/3rd pair defensemen.

And like 10-20% chance of becoming a star player...

So for teams that are in win now mode, better to invest those assets in furthering their chances of winning it all now than in playing lotterie for the future..

Because at the end of the day, drafts picks in those range are expensive lotterie tickets. As you have more than 50% chance to draft a player that will not even be worth the 1st you're investing to draft him...

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Oates was cooked and ouillette busted. Giroux won that round and is still playing and tippet is panning out . Very different scenarios
My post was meant as a general statement. But yeah, it worked out better than the outcome they got by trading a 1st rounder, 4th rounder and a prospect for Chariot...Don't get me wrong. I don't blame Fla for trying to win a Stanley Cup. It's a gamble, that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad