Proposal: FLA - Minny

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
there are a lot of MIN fans who firmly believe that Haula's best stretches of play so far are going to be his "normal" play in the future. If that works out then there's a real argument to be made. But...Yeah I'm not so sure that's going to work out. But then again Bjugstad has some question marks too, doesn't he? Haula is dirt cheap at a great contract for his production as is.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Another homer trade. How is he an upgrade over Haula?

Staal is contracted for 3 years and Koivu for 2. Koivu will probably sign a low money extension.

6" taller
25 pounds heavier
Better track record for scoring points

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
there are a lot of MIN fans who firmly believe that Haula's best stretches of play so far are going to be his "normal" play in the future. If that works out then there's a real argument to be made. But...Yeah I'm not so sure that's going to work out. But then again Bjugstad has some question marks too, doesn't he? Haula is dirt cheap at a great contract for his production as is.

His best stretch is something like a 59 point pace in a 35-45 game stretch. I don't think any of us are locking him into 50+ points going forward. 30-40 points from the 3rd line with continued superb PKing is more than satisfactory; maybe 40-45 with some spot duty in the top 6 due to injuries.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Question for Florida fans, is Bjugstad tracking towards a 30+30 prime? I always thought that he might end up somewhere around there, and with Florida putting together a heck of a good team, it seems like he'll get every opportunity to put up some numbers.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Question for Florida fans, is Bjugstad tracking towards a 30+30 prime? I always thought that he might end up somewhere around there, and with Florida putting together a heck of a good team, it seems like he'll get every opportunity to put up some numbers.

hes capable of 30g in a top-6 role, which is where he belongs, its just we have trocheck on the 2nd line, he won't put up those numbers on the 3rd. i don't think he'd put up 30a either. as a 2nd line center, 25+g and ~20+a is what he's probably good for.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
His best stretch is something like a 59 point pace in a 35-45 game stretch. I don't think any of us are locking him into 50+ points going forward. 30-40 points from the 3rd line with continued superb PKing is more than satisfactory; maybe 40-45 with some spot duty in the top 6 due to injuries.

There're still quite a few people that believe he's a solid 2nd line center if he wasn't held back by Yeo, and probably still (even after last year) a few who think he's better than Koivu with the right coach.

I wouldn't give up on Bjugstad if I were FLA either but then again if all you see in the long term is a 3rd line C, you might consider selling him while he has developmental upside.

Is he Vegas bait?

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Hey, points for a good proposal that got me thinking.

Wouldn't probably do it as we have finally some C depth, and I like Nino too much.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
There're still quite a few people that believe he's a solid 2nd line center if he wasn't held back by Yeo, and probably still (even after last year) a few who think he's better than Koivu with the right coach.

Pre Staal, I was curious about what a Parise-Haula-Nino line could do, which would make him a defacto 2nd line center I guess. One year experiment to see what was there. I guess that's a pretty unrealistic scenario now.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

If Bjugstad is moved to top line RW with Huberdeau and Barkov, he'd have a real good shot at 30+30 but on the 3rd line, I see something around 25g/45pts max and that's if he's getting a ton of PP time as well.

I personally love Jagr, who doesn't, what he's done for this team and Huby and Barkov alone but I'm ready to see if Bjugstad or Smith can compete for that top RW role NEXT YEAR. McCann could take over the 3C spot after this year and possibly fill Jokinen's spot down the road.

2017/18 TOP 6

Huberdeau - Barkov - Bjugstad
Jokinen - Trocheck - Smith

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008

If he could stay healthy he could pot 30 goals.
30 assists is pushing it.
I would say 30-20/25.

Even if he is on the 3rd line, he'll probably get play on the #1PP. Barkov, Huberdeau and Bjugstad seem to have some decent chemistry when up a man. It's also when you see Nick with some nice passes. When he is used as a forward, not on the point, as he makes boneheaded plays with the puck there unless he can shoot it.

If he can show up this season like he did for the playoffs, then yea, 30 goals could be realistic.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
not terrible value. Olofsson is a real good looking spec. But Florida is loaded with quality young LHD and Bjugstads ceiling> niederreiter.... also with the expansion draft..... florida might lose one of these guys anyway

Dabeast

Jun 13, 2014
South Florida

I wouldn't give up on Bjugstad if I were FLA either but then again if all you see in the long term is a 3rd line C, you might consider selling him while he has developmental upside.

Is he Vegas bait?

Nope

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
This is an easy no for the Panthers.

Easy no? You probably know nothing about Olofsson. That's fine, he is totally unhyped, but he is thought to to have top 4 potential....can skate, handle the puck, and most importantly, play a solid D. While it's true he has battled injuries, they have mostly been to his shoulder, not his knees or back, so his mobility hasn't been affected. On a team with less blue line depth, he would've already seen much more NHL time than he has with the Wild.

Bottom line is that he is not a #6/7 plug. His stats in the AHL won't wow you, but he is not that kind of Dman. He is a solid defender type, but one who can move. The guy has talent and is NHL Ready. My pojnt is that he is worth a hell of a lot more than a 3rd that MIGHT Be a contributor in 2022. I don't expect anyone to pay a lot for him till he proves himself, but he is the very definition of a player that you don't trade. Costs you nothing to keep him.

Also, how is Bjugstad's ceiling higher than Nino's? I guess I missed the memo. Bjugstad is bigger, but Nino is still a big boy, and he is more physical than Bjugstad. Both have goal scoring ability. Bjugstad's ability to play C is nice. Injury history so far not so nice. Contrary to what you have heard about Nino from NYI fans, Nino has been nothing but a model citizen here in MN.

Last edited:

Golden Gophers 4649

Minnesota Hockey Fan
Jun 15, 2015
Minneapolis
Thought of making it a 5th instead of a 3rd since FL doesn't have a 4th, but wasn't sure if that'd be enough to swing it or not.

As a Wild fan you'd need to upgrade the pick. Nino is already as productive as Bjugstad meaning Olofsson for a 3rd rounder and that is not happening. The Wild view Olofsson as a pretty safe bet to be a 2nd pairing, steady defenseman who is close to NHL ready. The only thing keeping him out of an NHL job is the Wild depth on the blueline.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't see trading Olofsson as a wise move. A young, draft ineligible Dman with top 4 potential has value on the one hand, yet his lack of NHL playing time (due to injuries and the Wild's deep blue line) lessens any value. Why not wait? Why give him away for a 2nd or 3rd? Those picks won't be ready for four years, if at all. Olofsson can be contributing in the NHL as early as this year.

Bad trade for the Wild. Last thing we need is to be trading draft ineligible talent.

Nino for Bjugstad is somewhat equal value. Now that the Wild have signed Staal (for better or worse), it's less of a need for them to have a C. I can also understand the Panthers wanting Nino to be signed long term. Overall, though, it's a trade that neither team needs to be making.

Beezer

Trochek Was Tripped!
Jun 24, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Don't know a thing about Olofsson but the fact is we have no room for him. Gudbranson was traded because he became expendable with Matheson's play. It wasn't that tough a decision for management to trade him away. We also have McCoshen who will likely join the team next season. So I think this is a make or break year for Petrovic.

I would love Nino on our team but I wouldn't make this trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad