Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] James Reimer (5 years, $3.400M AAV)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think Panthers fans will be interested in knowing this. He has been a much better Goalie when he was healthy, and when Francois Allaire quit as Goaltending Coach. He and Reimer never jelled as teacher and pulpil. I wouldn't be surprised if last year's Reimer is what you are going to see out of James. Again it was IMO a smart signing by the Panthers. Goalies don't usually peak until later. Reimer is just 28 and he should have his best years ahead of him. I think this signing will pay long term dividends.

Here is more on his relationship with Allaire.

Yes, François Allaire has coached his last netminder in Toronto, as it was revealed on Monday that after three trying seasons, he wouldn’t be back.
Too many cooks in the kitchen, Allaire explained.
Reimer revealed Allaire had been unhappy during last season and expressed his unwillingness to return.

“There was some stuff that went on behind the scenes last year,” Reimer said, somewhat reluctantly.

“I think there was some confusion last year. A couple misunderstandings. I don’t know if everyone clicked last year. I mean, there was some trouble in some areas. I don’t know if I want to get into it too much or comment on it too much, but I know there was times he was frustrated we didn’t have more time to work on stuff. He told me [in the summer] that it probably wasn’t looking good [to come back].”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...h-francois-allaire-jumps-ship/article4550431/

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh
Panthers are shifting to a 1A/1B goaltending philosophy. As great as Luongo was early in the year, he faded down the stretch. The belief is that he finally admitted to himself and the team he can't handle starting 60+ games anymore. Reimer gives them an above average #2 who can start 30ish games and keep the team competitive.

also, the reality is that with a good year, Reimer becomes a prime candidate to be selected by LV which at the same time protects the panthers from losing a defenseman like psyk or Petrovic.

I am not the biggest fan of reimer, but I understand the thought process by the panthers.

or, alternatively: they could protect Reimer, expose Lu no? His NTC was voided when he was traded I thought. Or am I forgetting something

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
or, alternatively: they could protect Reimer, expose Lu no? His NTC was voided when he was traded I thought. Or am I forgetting something

I don't think NTCs matter in the expansion draft, only NMCs because that technically would not be a trade (teams do not receive any compensation for losing a player via expansion draft). Luongo did not have a NMC.

In any case, exposing Luongo would likely lead to LV not taking him as his future would be minimal at best for him going into the 17-18 season, and if he retires after this season (which I doubt happens), it will be moot anyway.

Reimer will have his chance to show his stuff here, that is for sure. If Luongo is really hurt or falters, then I will be glad they have Reimer and Berra to work with at least.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I was going to post this in the Bernier thread. But perhaps the Reimer signing thread is more appropriate. In this instance I agree 100% with Grapes. I look for Reimer to have a great career with the Panthers. Time will tell. But it won't be because of effort, character, and giving up.

“They should’ve kept Reimer. That’s for sure," Don Cherry told Sportsnet 590 The Fan Friday. "I couldn’t understand why they let him go. If you look at his stats they were unbelievable last year. They were in love with Bernier…I hate to say it but I never liked him from the start. Why they got rid of Reimer, I don’t understand.â€

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/maple-leafs-trade-goalie-jonathan-bernier-ducks/

McRib

#SoldierFields
May 2, 2014
This has quietly been one of the better signings of the past offseason, Reimer has been unreal the past month, good for him, always been a big reimer fan

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
This has quietly been one of the better signings of the past offseason, Reimer has been unreal the past month, good for him, always been a big reimer fan

Seriously, I don't get why the leafs didn't try signing him in the off season rather than trade for Andersen. He was playing really well last season, we just didn't have a team in front of him.

I wouldn't say Andersen is that much better than Reimer, he's really inconsistent.

We might have gotten sam steel by saving those picks :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad