Proposal: FLA - COL

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
To Colorado:
James Reimer (2 years @3.4M)
COL 3rd round pick in 2020

To Florida:
FLA 6th round pick in 2020 (or COL 6th round pick in 2020 if we somehow re-sign Brassard)

As I see it the Panthers are looking to make a splash in UFA this offseason.
But the cap is somewhat tough if you want to fit in say a Panarin + Bobrovsky. Especially if the rumo
Getting rid of Reimer for moving down 3 spots in the 1st and reversing the Brassard deal does not seem too pricey at the first glance.They also are very set at forward in their prospect pool. Especially at wing. So potentially losing out on the 2nd tier of forward prospects in this draft might not be that big of a deal.

For the Avs the appeal here is to use their capspace to jump up for whichever forward out of Krebs/Newhook/Cozens/Caufield/Podkolzin slides to #13 to bolster their forward depth. Would probably also make picking Byram at #4 a bit more realistic (at this moment I just don't see that happening unfortunately).

It also gives us back our 3rd next year and opens up possible offersheets (probably not gonna happen but still) in the summer. With the UFA class looking more and more bleak as the days go by (Hayes, Skinner contract, etc), using the massive amounts of capspace we have to give us more flexibility down the line seems preferable to throwing money at the 3rd tier UFAs come July 1st. And even if we foolishly still decide to do that, losing 3.4M probably won't hurt us too much in that regard given the oodles of capspace we have.

Reimers contract is a bad one but with Varly probably leaving and Francouz being somewhat of a wild card still, it wouldn't be all too horrible to have Reimer down in Loveland playing for the Eagles in the AHL for insurance.

Last edited:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Definitely open to the idea. Depends who's on the board at 13 first though. If its Broberg or Soderstrom, we may just draft one of them.

I'd counter with a 2020 2nd/2019 3rd + your 3rd + Reimer

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Definitely open to the idea. Depends who's on the board at 13 first though. If its Broberg or Soderstrom, we may just draft one of them.

And what replaces our first? No way avs pay 16 OA for Reimer and later picks.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I'm pretty sure there was somewhat mutual agreement on this deal a few weeks ago but without the 6th.

Avs would also have the ability to retain on Reimer in a flip, or during the season if a team finds a need for him via injury or depth need

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
You keep your pick...
We keep ours.

Feel a 2nd + your 3rd back is decent value for a guy that can play backup or be buried in AHL when you have the cap space to take him on.

I really don't see the incentive for the Avs if the 1sts aren't getting swapped. If a future mid/late 2nd + future mid/late 3rd is the best Florida can offer, I'd much rather roll with Grubauer/Francouz in net and find someone capable of being our AHL backup that doesn't have a bigger cap hit than our starting G.

Reactions: milehigh11

ljb4

Feb 10, 2016
westminster Co
You keep your pick...
We keep ours.

Feel a 2nd + your 3rd back is decent value for a guy that can play backup or be buried in AHL when you have the cap space to take him on.

I think this is good value especially if the Avs are looking for an experienced AHL starter/emergency NHL #3. As an Avs fan, I would prefer the Op depending on who is available at #13. If Florida wants Knight (as picked by all three in the NHL.com mock draft), they could do well to move down and still get their guy. The Avs could have their eye on Newhook or a falling Krebs (due to his reported injury).

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
You keep your pick...
We keep ours.

I think the main Colorado motivation would be moving up to grab a forward they want

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

Thanks for the feedback.

I personally wouldn't have any interest in your counter. The whole appeal is that I believe that the 2nd tier of forwards will probably be gone right around 15-16 depending on how many teams have fallen in love with Broberg/Soderstrom/Seider/York. Ensuring one of these forwards landing on the Avs is the whole appeal for me when it comes to taking on Reimer and trading up.

But yeah it will very much depend on how the draft plays out. I just personally think that it is way more likely for one of Soderstrom/Broberg to make it to #16 than for one of Newhook/Cozens/Boldy/Krebs/Podkolzin/Caufield.

If I am wrong on that one, Avs moving up might not even be necessary. If I am right, I believe that this could be a win-win deal if you guys are targeting a say Soderstrom or Knight.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

No chance the AVs send a 1st for Reimer and not getting another in return. The intention is moving up for a possible Faller. AVs still might get the player they want without adding dead cap space.
Keep Reimer.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
True. Some others didnt understand the counter though.
COL drafting ahead of us once a year is enough :sarcasm:, no need for twice.

Tallon will find a way to unload Reimer without falling in the draft even if he has to eat a small chunk of his caphit.
I will note, there's like half the league that has cap problem players and it feels like fans of each team is really weirdly confident in their ability to unload a player without giving up something notable. Not only are there not really that many suitors, its hard to imagine teams actually wanting to do this. You talk about retaining cap, but again why would a team bother? They certainly don't need a Reimer player. And there isn't THAT much motivation to take on other's cap hits (with retainment or not) for a small little sweetener.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I will note, there's like half the league that has cap problem players and it feels like fans of each team is really weirdly confident in their ability to unload a player without giving up something notable. Not only are there not really that many suitors, its hard to imagine teams actually wanting to do this. You talk about retaining cap, but again why would a team bother? They certainly don't need a Reimer player. And there isn't THAT much motivation to take on other's cap hits (with retainment or not) for a small little sweetener.

Those teams will end up just swapping guys around and the fans will hope that their new cap anchor is less useless than the previous one.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

OTT will need help just to reach the floor. If we retain a million each year which pays for Reimers 2020-2021 signing bonus, yes I do feel they're would be a couple teams interested in a 2nd round pick + 3rd round pick/mid level prospect.

Reimer @ $2.4 million + 2nd + 3rd for a 6th or 7th rounder?
2nd rounder isnt a small sweetener imo. Not with the talent you can now draft in the 2nd round.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Those teams will end up just swapping guys around and the fans will hope that their new cap anchor is less useless than the previous one.

For some teams yes. But there's more than a couple of teams that cant do that and absolutely have to move salary without taking any back. Vegas and Toronto are the two that immediately jump out as being in that situation. Likely Tampa Bay as well and if Florida is serious about going all in on Panarin and Bobrovsky they are likely also in that same boat.

You'll see a couple teams like Vancouver/Edmonton making those type of bad slaray swaps maybe with Lucic/Eriksson. Or you might see something where Vegas trades a useful but perhaps overpaid player like Miller out for another useful player.

But you definitely have at least 3 teams that will need to shed salary either purely for futures or if it is a cap dump they'll have to attach value to move the contract.

I think something around #13, Reimer, and #16 is actually pretty fair for both sides as the base of a deal.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
OTT will need help just to reach the floor. If we retain a million each year which pays for Reimers 2020-2021 signing bonus, yes I do feel they're would be a couple teams interested in a 2nd round pick + 3rd round pick/mid level prospect.

Reimer @ $2.4 million + 2nd + 3rd for a 6th or 7th rounder?
2nd rounder isnt a small sweetener imo. Not with the talent you can now draft in the 2nd round.
Thing is is that there's half the league going for a few teams to take on several problematic contracts to free up room. Not going to be that far for Ottawa to make the floor once they get everyone signed.

And as for other teams that have cap space, most have playoff aspirations that will likely not be too interested in those deals unless they really think its worth improving the team in the long run. Some wildcard picks in the 2nd and 3rd round aren't going to be that. They're going to have the same issue as Colorado would here. They'll want a bigger fish to catch being involved.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Thing is is that there's half the league going for a few teams to take on several problematic contracts to free up room. Not going to be that far for Ottawa to make the floor once they get everyone signed.

And as for other teams that have cap space, most have playoff aspirations that will likely not be too interested in those deals unless they really think its worth improving the team in the long run. Some wildcard picks in the 2nd and 3rd round aren't going to be that. They're going to have the same issue as Colorado would here. They'll want a bigger fish to catch being involved.

OTT and VAN would be the two likely trade targets for FLA if moving Reimer.

This article here from February suggests VAN would be open to taking a cap dump or two to secure more picks in their rebuild.
AP's ELC ends in 2020-2021 so Reimer's deal would end that same year.

Look at some of those offers in the article. Only players like Backes or Dubinsky enter the 1st round pick category
As for wildcard pick comment, 80% of 1st rounders become NHL players of some sort, while 44% of 2nd rounders and 30% of 3rd rounders do as well. The dropoff happens after the 3rd round but guys like Trocheck, Point, Pesce and Guentzel come to mind right off the bat for gems in that 3rd round. 2nd rounders as of late is quite the long list. Those percentages listed above are from this article here

I look to the Callahan and Sekera deals which are similar to what I'm offering, they are now essentially cap dump players who would be a bottom 6 F or bottom pairing D now. Reimer can still be a backup in limited role or play in the AHL. Reimer is owed a lot less than Sekera and with a million retention, would be cheaper in total salary than Cally but has the extra year to take.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad