Fixing WWE

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
For me, the first thing i would do is get rid of those generic, boring looking world titles and bring back one of the old designs (preferably the winged eagle). The world title doesn't look prestigious whatsoever anymore

Its not a world title its THE UNIVERSAL CHAMPIONSHIP! Infinite more prestige lol

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Don't know if I suggested this the first time but the "call and response" element has been dead for I don't even know how long. The one standing factor of the AE is no matter how terrible it actually was, it was like a religious revival in which everyone could participate and be one with what was happening

1. The talent needs memorable catchphrases -the last "call and response" that was actually over was freaking Enzo Amore and Big Cass and Nakamura coming out and Brooklyn singing along to his theme

2. Allow the talent to actually rattle off a memorable and entertaining promo

3. Liberal use of insults. I stopped watching a very long time ago and to date the best modern diss I can remember is "Baron Corbin of the Women's division" if someone actually said "You're a part time talent and a full time bitch" I think everyone would lose their mind

--The element of knowing what you're going to get and being excited to do it was what made the AE what it was. Just a few off the top of my head. I'm pretty sure this is asking too much because Linda's probably not gonna get out of politics any time soon and hubby has to run the most milquetoast product he can

Reactions: Kaner9

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I watched the last 3 or 4 episodes. Matches are boring. Even the wrestlers that are noted for in-ring ability are working loose. Nothing is snug. Everything is exposed and looks overly choreographed but executed by guys that cannot execute at a high level. The cards are redundant. Using the same handful of wrestlers week after week. Smackdown is coming to my town and I debated getting a ticket but why would I pay when I know exactly what talent will be there because it is going to be the same stuff I have watched these past few weeks?

Competition makes wrestling better. Now there is just a crop of mediocre wrestlers that cannot cut a promo without a writer and direction. Just bland talent developed in house.

Reactions: Kaner9

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
I watched the last 3 or 4 episodes. Matches are boring. Even the wrestlers that are noted for in-ring ability are working loose. Nothing is snug. Everything is exposed and looks overly choreographed but executed by guys that cannot execute at a high level. The cards are redundant. Using the same handful of wrestlers week after week. Smackdown is coming to my town and I debated getting a ticket but why would I pay when I know exactly what talent will be there because it is going to be the same stuff I have watched these past few weeks?

Competition makes wrestling better. Now there is just a crop of mediocre wrestlers that cannot cut a promo without a writer and direction. Just bland talent developed in house.

Theres just too many shows so nothing can be fresh or new. With so mny matches I don't blame the top wrestlers for not going at 100% for a 50th match against the same person. I dunno how to fix the talking but its bad.

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
Don't know if I suggested this the first time but the "call and response" element has been dead for I don't even know how long. The one standing factor of the AE is no matter how terrible it actually was, it was like a religious revival in which everyone could participate and be one with what was happening

1. The talent needs memorable catchphrases -the last "call and response" that was actually over was freaking Enzo Amore and Big Cass and Nakamura coming out and Brooklyn singing along to his theme

2. Allow the talent to actually rattle off a memorable and entertaining promo

3. Liberal use of insults. I stopped watching a very long time ago and to date the best modern diss I can remember is "Baron Corbin of the Women's division" if someone actually said "You're a part time talent and a full time bitch" I think everyone would lose their mind

--The element of knowing what you're going to get and being excited to do it was what made the AE what it was. Just a few off the top of my head. I'm pretty sure this is asking too much because Linda's probably not gonna get out of politics any time soon and hubby has to run the most milquetoast product he can

Those are good ideas but like you said at the end I don't think they wanna even try the stuff that worked before. Its not a good look even if it makes money lol

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
All the bad in the WWE right now, results in those major points.

1- Shorten feuds.

They bore us out with 3 rematches in every single feud. 1-and-done matches aren't as evil as they think they are. Hell in a Cell had ONE match that wasn't a rematch. It was basically WrestleMania backlash.. backlash.

2- Build-up superstars.

We keep seeing title shots given to people on losing streaks. It makes absolutely no sense. There's clear examples in all 3 shows.

The last time they did that correctly, was Alistair Black. That was until they decided to turn him heel and completely ruin the character.

3- Stop taking us for a bunch of idiots.

- If they're married in real life, don't pretend like they're not.
- If they've been on NXT, NXT UK, or just a passed gimmick, don't try to force us that he or she is suddenly this new human being. That garbage worked when there was no internet.

4- Don't exaggerate the supernatural.

Wrestling's always had dark characters, it's in their blood.

But please, from the army of the undead as lumberjacks, to Bray Wyatt looking like a Resident Evil vilain, to Alexa Bliss having talking dolls and hypnotizing people.. Nobody is into that crap. Not kids, and certainty not adults.

5- LISTEN TO YOUR AUDIENCE.

It's more than obvious to them, who deserves a push or not. They had 3 young technical geniuses in the ring in 2020, Andrade, Black and Buddy Murphy, who are all gone because of the creative team's poor storyline writing, and no other reason.

Start with those 5 major points, and the rest will take care of itself.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY

The WWE "style" has been going downhill since the Attitude Era. It's punch punch punch and then one of three moves. We all know Kevin Owens will do the bowling ball, AJ Styles will do the Pele Kick, Roman Reigns the Superman punch. It's too predictable.

It started getting that way in 1998 where they got away with it because of the characters and shock value. I watched some of Undertaker's 1996 and 1997 matches this spring and it was nothing like that. The Undertaker did a lot of wrestling holds and it made the matches more interesting.

AJ Styles is considered the best wrestler in the world but he works the same match every week and I'm not moved buy him ending ever promo going "A..J...Styles" so boring.

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
get rid of all those false finishes. I've been trying to get back to watching wrestling in the last few years, but I just can't, it's unwatchable.

why is there like 2 different WWE ? : smackdown wrestlers don't face raw wrestlers but sometimes they do and once in while they switch....what a ***** mess! Am I to spend hours on Wikipedia to understand how the hell this works? It's **** wrestling!!It's supposed to be easy to follow.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
For me, the first thing i would do is get rid of those generic, boring looking world titles and bring back one of the old designs (preferably the winged eagle). The world title doesn't look prestigious whatsoever anymore

Couldn't agree more. I'd also get rid of the Universal title and bring back the World Heavyweight Title. It looks much better when your two major titles have different designs IMO. Also sounds better than "Universal."

Even the other titles I would change. Go back to the 2000's US Title design, as well as the previous tag team designs. For the IC I would do either the 2011-2019 "retro" design or the previous one.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Here's another thing i can't stand...

The tag division and how they lead up to the eventual title match. Like for example, lets do New Day vs Viking Raiders.

RAW week 1 - Xavier Woods vs Ivar
RAW week 2 - Kofi vs Erik
RAW week 3 - Xavier Woods vs Erik
RAW week 4 - Kofi vs Ivar
PPV - New Day vs Viking Raiders

I also hate how often they have their champion take a pinfall loss right before a title defense.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I see so many issues with the WWE right now. They're booking is atrocious. Story lines that make no sense, champions that seem unbeatable, constant stopping and starting of story lines. It's garbage. The only good thing about WWE was NXT, but if it's true that Vince McMahon and Bruce Pritchard are going to be running the story lines and stuff, it's going to be like the other two - predictable and boring.

The other thing that WWE needs to do is quit worrying about the competition. Focus on your product at hand. When fans tell you what they want and then are told "we know what's best for you" it's a great way to drive people to another product. Lay your story lines out a year to two in advance and build from there. The good old days of telling a great story should be the focus, not what trends on Twitter or Tik Tok. Things are rushed. Build up a great feud and let it take time to simmer and grow.

The last thing is they need to build new superstars. The one thing that I really love about AEW programming is how they're building new stars. Whether it's a win or loss, they get the idea on how to build someone. Dante Martin is a great example of how to build someone. Even in their loss against Omega and the Young Bucks, Martin looked like a million bucks. They made him look viable and look like a threat. That's the WWE need to start doing again. Get these guys and gals the much needed rub they need and build from there. But instead, it's feed them to the machine, spit them out and put them in a stupid feud or match that does nothing to forward their career.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Disclaimer: This is all coming from someone who is a fan of WWE and watches every week.

I see some issues with stuff that I guess could be called continuity or consistency, etc?

The most recent idiocy with Becky Lynch's return falls in the category... We watched Bianca win the Rumble and go over in solid programs with 2 of the top women in the company, including a WM main event and one feud that showcased her athletic ability including the strength to carry Otis on her back, etc. etc. But then all of that gets flushed down the toilet when she loses in 26 seconds to a lady who an average unknowing human being might think would struggle to open a jar of applesauce.

It would've been like the WWF waiting until Kurt Angle was champion to bring Austin back from getting hit by a car, with his first match coming against the Champ where he wins after one stunner. Sure the crowd would've ate it up, but you'd have done no favors for Kurt after a year of build up that included going over Rock and HHH.

And of course it doesn't help that they try to justify it by reaching for a "Bianca wasn't ready for The Mahn" excuse, but then have her go over in a lengthy 4-way elimination match with tons of near falls that she was equally unprepared for...

And then other crap, like:

-The magical Fiend, who can't be put away by a million Seth Rollins finishers and can make John Cena and Braun Stroman disappear/drown/whatever, getting squashed by Goldberg
-Sasha Banks return in 2019 where she puts that huge beating on Natalya only to be used to put over Becky
-Shayna Bazsler being more vampire than Gangrel, but is then afraid of a doll
-The Jeff Hardy car crash thing that went nowhere
-All those vignette's for Carmela's return and re-package only so she can be fed to Sasha, and then Reginald gets a bigger push out of the whole thing
-More vignette's advertising Toni Storm's main roster debut than actual matches she got before becoming a regular in catering
-Does anyone ever remember (or care) that they started some vignette's for an Elias repackage that they took a break from last night?

Here's another thing i can't stand...

The tag division and how they lead up to the eventual title match. Like for example, lets do New Day vs Viking Raiders.

RAW week 1 - Xavier Woods vs Ivar
RAW week 2 - Kofi vs Erik
RAW week 3 - Xavier Woods vs Erik
RAW week 4 - Kofi vs Ivar
PPV - New Day vs Viking Raiders

I also hate how often they have their champion take a pinfall loss right before a title defense.

Related to that, the one thing that's been driving me nuts lately is the "Championship contenders matches" against the actual champion...

How is anyone supposed to get excited for a Priest vs. Sheamus US title match when they've already recently seen the challenger beat the champion clean in a TV match that spanned like 3 commercial breaks?

It took all of maybe 2 minutes for me to think of credible "contenders" matches that would've been better than just having Priest beat the champion clean while delivering the bonus of bringing guys out of catering and/or adding to ongoing storylines:

-Go against one or both of the two guys that most recently feuded with Sheamus in Carrillo and/or Ricochet
-An impromptu contenders match against a former US champion in Jeff Hardy, which could've somehow drawn in Karrion Kross to affect the finish and add some fuel to his mini feud with Hardy

I guess at least in that example, the contender actually got the championship match.

It's almost comical now for the Women's tag belts... I'm pretty sure Shotzi and Nox are now 3-0 against the actual champs, with 2 of those matches being "contenders matches", yet they haven't had an actual "championship match" yet.

At this point the best thing that could happen to the Women's tag belts would be them being thrown in the trash on Dynamite.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
What they’re doing with the women’s tag belts is why, even as a women’s wrestling mark, did not want them. And they eliminated the only real interesting thing they could do which is introduce women’s NXT tag belts, and not do things like bring Sasha and Bayley back, or Asuka and Kairi where they would be best utilized in those matches.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Womens tag belts in general are a mess. They're a mess in NXT too.

I just hate the random pairings. Io for an example shouldn't be in a tag team. They legit have nothing in common.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Womens tag belts in general are a mess. They're a mess in NXT too.

I just hate the random pairings. Io for an example shouldn't be in a tag team. They legit have nothing in common.

The women's tag mess in WWE reminds of "Road to Wrestlemania" when playing Wrestlemania 2000 on N64. At the beginning, you pick a partner for your tag matches, then halfway through it your team breaks up and you have a match against your partner. Then you just randomly get a new partner... But it isn't just you, a whole bunch of other teams get randomly broken up and re-paired and you get some real doozies like Jeff Hardy and Viscera, Blue Meanie and Bradshaw, Farooq and Al Snow.

That or it just being stuck like the mens tag division around WM15, where they broke up the Outlaws for failed singles pushes then put the belts on teams like Bossman and Shamrock and then Jarrett and Owen. And the WM tag title match is decided by a random battle royale on Heat consisting of a bunch of actual tag teams buried as enhancement talent, and low to mid card singles guys that would've otherwise sat in catering that night.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It isn't. There are 19 belts right now, including two that are supposed to be #1. There should be 1 world title.

IMO it was better when you had the WWE + World Heavyweight Title, the US + IC, World & WWE Tag and the single womens title. Not a big fan of the very mundane "Raw Tag Team" or "SmackDown Womens" titles.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
IMO it was better when you had the WWE + World Heavyweight Title, the US + IC, World & WWE Tag and the single womens title. Not a big fan of the very mundane "Raw Tag Team" or "SmackDown Womens" titles.

It's mostly due to the tv contracts. The networks want certain wrestlers to appear mostly on their shows. That's why there's Raw and Smackdown women's titles.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
It's stupid, and he's right. It was better the old way.

They need to axe the brand split all together. They won't, but it will make the product better.

Reactions: eXile3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad