Patrice Bergeron
Ryan Callahan
Nik Hjalmmarson
Dan Girardi

and everything will be fine.... lol

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
the truth is... there isn't single player on the Buffalo Sabres roster, that I want on the ice against, Giroux or Crosby

and until we have at least 4 guys (any positions, duplicates is fine) that I would be comfortable with on the ice against those guys... then we are no where near where we need to be.

we need to suck it up and wait for the 2014 free agent class... hopefuly a 3rd of those guys make it to market

I don't see how Ehrhoff isn't on there. There isn't a long list of defenders in the league better than him.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I don't see how Ehrhoff isn't on there. There isn't a long list of defenders in the league better than him.

yea, there is...

It's cool if you want Christian Ehrhoff and Brian Campbell on the ice against the leagues best.

I don't

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
the truth is... there isn't single player on the Buffalo Sabres roster, that I want on the ice against, Giroux or Crosby

and until we have at least 4 guys (any positions, duplicates is fine) that I would be comfortable with on the ice against those guys... then we are no where near where we need to be.

we need to suck it up and wait for the 2014 free agent class... hopefuly a 3rd of those guys make it to market

Why would any of them want to come to Buffalo. :laugh:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
The first thing they need is a new scheme to play. Something that has structure, but also allows for creativity and transition.

There stiff as a rock, conservative defensive zone exits are a problem of scheme, not players.

It's a good thing we have all the mobile defensemen whipping the puck around the boards for a winger to chip out.... :sarcasm:

This is by far the biggest problem IMO as well. We have a terrible defensive system in place. Buffalo's D on paper looks to have 5 guys who should be able to succeed in a top 4 role (Ehrhoff, Myers, Sekera, Regehr, and Leopold). In Regehr's case it may just be his age catching up with him, but the rest of those guys are all good, if not great, skaters and have all shown themselves to be capable of transitioning the play from defense to offense. I find it much easier to believe that our coaching sucks than that they all suddenly got bad at the same time.

Grinder44

Jun 6, 2006
Los Angeles
This team over the past several seasons is one of the most fragile groups I've ever seen. They finally let Ruff go, and now it's time to identify the core players and start moving the players who aren't part of that core. It's called having a plan, and then implementing it. The team can load up on draft choices or prospects, or maybe pick up another role player or two in trade who bring tenacity and mental toughness -- traits sorely lacking on this team. And somebody needs to take that "A" off Stafford's jersey and put it on Ott, Kaleta, or Gerbe's chest.

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
yea, there is...

It's cool if you want Christian Ehrhoff and Brian Campbell on the ice against the leagues best.

I don't

I said nothing about Bryan Campbell. Those two are not the same player.

You're letting Hoff's reputation as an offensive guy cloud the fact that he's also excellent defensively. He carried Sulzer and is now making Myers look half decent as well. He's the best all around defender we've had since the lockout.

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo

You're letting Hoff's reputation as an offensive guy cloud the fact that he's also excellent defensively. He carried Sulzer and is now making Myers look half decent as well. He's the best all around defender we've had since the lockout.

I'd say sekera is more defensively sound

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Without getting into x's and o's, defense is what happens when you aren't in possession of the puck and offense is what happens when you are.

Defense is played in all 3 zones depending on who has the puck.

The Sabres problems in their own zone with the breakout are legendary. But the breakout is really playing offense in your own zone and it's all about having a quick and successful transition from defense in your own zone to offense in your own zone.

If you can't get possession of the puck in your own zone (or constantly give it up), you'll never break out successfully.

I have noticed that the Sabres defense is frequently slow getting the puck and unable at times to gain possession via angling and positioning when the puck is free. And we all see the times they are too weak on their sticks when they have the puck.

But most importantly, critical support from their fwds is lacking when trying to establish possession. And this affects confidence (at least it affects mine when I'm playing D.)

I think this is just another example of the hurt the team is feeling from having young and inexperienced centermen thrust into roles that they are not able to handle yet.

Many folks wanted Goose and Roy gone w/o understanding that for all their faults, they (esp. Goose) would work diligently pairing up with the defense in the Sabres zone. Cody and Ennis are newbies at this by comparison. Hecht used be stronger in the defensive zone but his best days are gone.

So Sekera, Ehrhoff, Myers and Leopold didn't just suddenly lose all their skill and smarts but in part, have been handicapped by a deficit of defensive support from our centers.

I think that's what Rolston was referring to when he talked about players taking shortcuts.

And its going to be painful to grow thru this period unless Darcy brings in a strong 2 way (Dougie Gilmore - like) center.

Go to Sleep

CM Vanek
Jan 20, 2013
Buffalo, New York
Move Regher & Leo at the deadline.

Then, play Brennan, McNabb, Pardy the rest of the season.
Sign Shaoeaone Moorrissonn if we need to.
(Do not call up Pysyk - spare him from feeling the heat of this Viking bonfire that is the 2013 Sabres.)

Play Enroth instead of Miller, to be kind to Miller.
Put Vanek on IR, to be kind to Vanek.

Finish season,
Obtain lottery pick,
Profit.

Trade Vanek to a better team, to be kind to Vanek.

Fixed.

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY

Which lockout? :sarcasm: But I agree.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
The more AHL talent on our team, the better. Leo and Regher should both be gone (I have a high degree of confidence Regier will do the right thing), and let the rest of the 6/7 rats gnaw at whatever minutes are left after Myers, Ehrhoff, and Sekera.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
If I was a bettin' man, I'd bet....

Leopold gets moved before the trade deadline

Regehr gets moved before the trade deadline OR gets re-signed for two years at 2.5 mil/per with the expectation of him moving into a #5/6 role. Yes I know his current salary.

Brennan gets moved in some way, shape or form

Next season we'll have ... Sekera, Myers, Ehrhoff, Weber, and maybe Regehr

With McNabb, Pardy and Psysk getting a fair shot at cracking the line up

Anyway you slice it, the Sabres need a big solid defenseman who is average to quick on his feet with decent hockey IQ.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
If I was a bettin' man, I'd bet....

Leopold gets moved before the trade deadline

Regehr gets moved before the trade deadline OR gets re-signed for two years at 2.5 mil/per with the expectation of him moving into a #5/6 role. Yes I know his current salary.

Brennan gets moved in some way, shape or form

Next season we'll have ... Sekera, Myers, Ehrhoff, Weber, and maybe Regehr

With McNabb, Pardy and Psysk getting a fair shot at cracking the line up

Anyway you slice it, the Sabres need a big solid defenseman who is average to quick on his feet with decent hockey IQ.
I'd sell Leo and Regehr for whatever they'd garner. I don't care if it is a very low pick, it would be in exchange for some sort of asset.

Side note: why didn't we give someone like Jay McClement a look this past offseason? Do we have any desire to add to positions of weakness?

Watching this debacle unravel has me losing patience with Regier.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Regarding defensive scheme, could anybody even describe what it is supposed to look like? I certainly can't. Our centers are nowhere to be found in our zone, and wingers are long gone into the neutral zone looking for stretch passes before we come close to possessing the puck.

Dmen forget basics, like weak side man in front of Shruggzalot. Our definition of "corner physicality" is basically any form of a lunging poke check that takes you off balance and makes you easy to beat. Curious to know our unit's hit total relative to that of every other team. Has Myers played a body more than thrice this year? Sekera? Ehrhoff? Regehr's only hit this year was a cross check to Rinaldo's dome piece.

Problems.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
Great post.

I think helping Myers become our defensive leader is no.1, he needs to relax, have fun and enjoy playing again rather than just feeling under pressure all the time, it's massively hindering his game.

Re-sign Sulzer and Weber and let everyone else walk. That gives us Myers, Ehrhoff, Weber and Sulzer. Promote McNabb and sign a dman that can handle 3rd/4th dman duties. If Pardy wants to resign for minimum then he can be 7th dman.

I would also like a big checking line center who isn't as soft as Gausted, but I might be dreaming.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Great post.

I think helping Myers become our defensive leader is no.1, he needs to relax, have fun and enjoy playing again rather than just feeling under pressure all the time, it's massively hindering his game.

Re-sign Sulzer and Weber and let everyone else walk. That gives us Myers, Ehrhoff, Weber and Sulzer. Promote McNabb and sign a dman that can handle 3rd/4th dman duties. If Pardy wants to resign for minimum then he can be 7th dman.

I would also like a big checking line center who isn't as soft as Gausted, but I might be dreaming.

Sekera's still gonna be here...and sulzer is basically a tire fire even when he's playing with ehrhoff.
And I agree, part of the defense's problem is that the forwards give them no help, but they also suck at playing the body and generally doing anything other than waving their sticks at people

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
Sekera's still gonna be here...and sulzer is basically a tire fire even when he's playing with ehrhoff.
And I agree, part of the defense's problem is that the forwards give them no help, but they also suck at playing the body and generally doing anything other than waving their sticks at people

I forgot about Sekera, I like him. Definitely want to keep him.

They suck at working as an imposing cohesive unit, be that playing the body or even just covering the zone. Myers working as a leader would help the defensive units chemistry imho.

I rarely see a team on that ice, I see a bunch of players doing their bit, not working together. If we can bring people in to that it would be the best place to start.

Just to note: I agree with the body part, they do need to be more physically imposing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad