Post-Game Talk: FIXED! Penguins beat Predators 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
5 pages? Sheesh... You know better than that.

+ Letang
Geno
Neal
Glass (I'll explain since I'm required to).
Bennett
Suter

Biggest + goes to having Martin back. That made my day. A solid calming presence.

Even though the first half of the game was by far Määtta's worst he rebounded nicely and was even doing a fine job on the PK. He has also taken over a top four spot in front of Niskanen which is AWESOME.

Speaking if which, man... This dude has zero redeeming qualities as a defenseman right now. He is awful. He was awful tonight, will be awful tomorrow and it will be incredibly awful when we trade him and our return is lessened because the team didn't strike while the iron was hot.

My Glass expectations are low. Very low. I expect him to be a 4th line energy guy. Throw big hits and wear people down with those hits. I expect him to do a solid job on the PK. I expect him to stick up for his teammates. I expect him to stir the lot a bit. I expect him to not get scored on and if he does I expect that it isn't a glaring error by him which caused it. I expect him to draws me penalties while not taking stupid ones himself. And finally I expect him to be able to actually skate, be able to keep up with the play and know the system.
Now, having said that, I would make it known now that I wouldn'tve signed him in the first place. But since he IS here and there is nothing that can be done about that, these are my expectations.
So for tonight he did his job and was effective on the PK. He seperated bodies from pucks and was not a liability. In fact, I'll give credit to the entire fourth line tonight. They weren't pinned in the zone all night like usual and even had a couple of strong shifts cycling. So given that, did Glass play even with his expectation, above or below? That is how I judge each individual on the ice, based on them and them alone.
And as far as fights go, that was a hell of a punch the TKO'd Nystrom. I hope he is alright as he is one of my favorite non-Penguin players and a guy I wanted for the playoffs last season.

Do t know what's up with Sid still. He is playing so far below average for himself that it is a little bit concerning.

You and I have had our differences (mostly around Iginla) but I think we have a lot of the same ideas on how this team is doing/what they should be doing, more or less, but I just don't get your criticism of Sid.

He's in the right positions. He's making good plays. The only time I really question his mind is on the power play. But the rest of the time, I think he's been great, he's just getting no help.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Straight from the Dan Bylsma school of coaching your rookies. That would be a terrible idea.

Maatta has kinda struggled lately, last night was rock bottom for Maatta in the NHL, if Engo played the way Maatta played last night there would be 10 pages in this thread talking about it.

Pens are a win now team, if DB decides Engo and Bort give him a better chance of winning tonight's game i dunno how anybody can argue that with the way Maatta played last night.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Maatta has kinda struggled lately, last night was rock bottom for Maatta in the NHL, if Engo played the way Maatta played last night there would be 10 pages in this thread talking about it.

Pens are a win now team, if DB decides Engo and Bort give him a better chance of winning tonight's game i dunno how anybody can argue that with the way Maatta played last night.

This continues to be problematic.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I didn't think Maatta had a great game, by any stretch.

But he wasn't that bad. I thought he picked it up significantly as the game progressed, actually.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
One thing I forgot last night:

+ the coaching staff making an adjustment with the defense. I thought they were a lot more active in the offensive zone last night, helped keep the puck in. Kept possession going a few times.

I don't know if it was a one-off. If they just felt comfortable against a threat-less Predators, or what, but it was better than watching 3-on-5 hockey.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
If the back of #3's jersey said "Despres" instead of "Maatta" a great number of you saying he played fine would be losing your minds.

I know, because this was the exact kind of game Despres played last year when you guys were like, "IT'S FINE IF WE BRING IN MARK EATON, LOOK AT HIM FUMBLE THE PUCK."

I'm not saying you're hypocrites, but only because I don't have to.

(And no, I'm not hating on Maatta. I love Despres. I love Maatta. Some of you are just weird with your double standards and hypocrisy. Such is the internet. And humanity)

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Honestly, I only became aware of Despres' dire, career-threatening struggles last year this year. So I'll assume that doesn't apply to me.

I don't think Maatta played well, at all. Only that I think it's a little silly to start talking about the possibility of sitting him as some sort of message sender or, even crazier... sending him back to London.

They made the decision to keep him on the team. They need to play him every single night unless he simply cannot. Or until he definitively proves he is incapable. I don't think a stretch of "meh" games followed by one poor one proves that, at all.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
This team should accept mistakes made by young defensemen. Whether that's Maatta, Despres or Bortuzzo. The only way these players will learn anything is if they play through their mistakes.

That did NOT happen with Despres last year, and one bad mistake took Bortuzzo out of the lineup last night. Lord knows when he gets his next chance. They seem to like Maatta way more than Bortuzzo, so Maatta is likely safe until Scuderi returns...or until somebody places a call to Mark Eaton.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
If the back of #3's jersey said "Despres" instead of "Maatta" a great number of you saying he played fine would be losing your minds.

I know, because this was the exact kind of game Despres played last year when you guys were like, "IT'S FINE IF WE BRING IN MARK EATON, LOOK AT HIM FUMBLE THE PUCK."

I'm not saying you're hypocrites, but only because I don't have to.

(And no, I'm not hating on Maatta. I love Despres. I love Maatta. Some of you are just weird with your double standards and hypocrisy. Such is the internet. And humanity)

I once saw Lidstrom have a few bad games.

True story, bro.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I heard he even turned the puck over in one of those games trying to make something happen, offensively.

The horror!

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I heard he even turned the puck over in one of those games trying to make something happen, offensively.

The horror!

I dunno hommie.... If these young blueliners can't start stringing together 82 games of perfection, I'm going to really start questioning Shero and his scouting dept.

Unless they display the unflinching poise of Nisky and Letang, they shouldn't be on the big club.

If you can't adapt from bottom pairing minutes to top pairing minutes in a few games, it's time to move on with your life's work.

That's all I'm saying.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
This team should accept mistakes made by young defensemen. Whether that's Maatta, Despres or Bortuzzo. The only way these players will learn anything is if they play through their mistakes.

That did NOT happen with Despres last year, and one bad mistake took Bortuzzo out of the lineup last night. Lord knows when he gets his next chance. They seem to like Maatta way more than Bortuzzo, so Maatta is likely safe until Scuderi returns...or until somebody places a call to Mark Eaton.

As a fan i'd like to see that happen, but neither of us are NHL coaches who are judged by wins and losses, if i was a NHL head coach i would do whatever i thought gave me the best chance to win next game(besides play the starting goalie every game)it don't take much for NHL coaches to get fired these days, i'd be much more concerned about keeping my job then letting young rookies play through there mistakes.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I didn't think Maatta had a great game, by any stretch.

But he wasn't that bad. I thought he picked it up significantly as the game progressed, actually.

Yeah I just watched the game this morning. About halfway through I was going to give Maatta a minus. He had 2 blatant give aways that led to scoring chances and 2 other give aways from losing the puck his skates. BUT, he was solid defensively and got better as the game progressed. Overall, he was just okay.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
As a fan i'd like to see that happen, but neither of us are NHL coaches who are judged by wins and losses, if i was a NHL head coach i would do whatever i thought gave me the best chance to win next game(besides play the starting goalie every game)it don't take much for NHL coaches to get fired these days, i'd be much more concerned about keeping my job then letting young rookies play through there mistakes.

So what you are saying is that you'd be more concerned with keeping your job than winning Stanley Cups? Are you Dan Bylsma?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

It apparently takes a lot for Bylsma to get fired, and he has a habit of not giving the team the best opportunity to win.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
It apparently takes a lot for Bylsma to get fired, and he has a habit of not giving the team the best opportunity to win.

So what you are saying is that you'd be more concerned with keeping your job than winning Stanley Cups? Are you Dan Bylsma?

I agree, pens would be better off in the long run by playing there rookies and letting them learn from there mistakes, just saying if i was head coach i wouldn't look at it that way, i would do whatever gave me the best chance to win the next game.

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
I agree, pens would be better off in the long run by playing there rookies and letting them learn from there mistakes, just saying if i was head coach i wouldn't look at it that way, i would do whatever gave me the best chance to win the next game.

True. Gotta get those regular season wins. It's what let's you keep your job in Pittsburgh.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
i prefer to spend all of my money now because I could die tomorrow, who cares about my financial situation in 82 games years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad