Fix Buffalo, 3 steps.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
* Trade Ristolainen for a defensive stallion like (for instance) Adam Larsson. Buffalo lacks a defensive minute-eating monster, especially as a mentor next to Dahlin.

None of Buffalo's current defencemen have a defensive skill-level that is needed to be a competitive team.

There is enough skill in the organisation to create the offence. Not that I write in the organisation, not on Buffalo' current roster.

* Separate Eichel and Reinhart, to center the two top lines.

Berglund is a great defensive forward with a high-end possession game, but lacks the offensive instincts to center a #2 scoring line.

Also put Skinner on the third line. He has always produced more with nobodies than with star centers.

* Fire Housley. Seriously, fire him immediately. He could probably do a decent job as a coach for the power play, since that was the only area he excelled in during his active career.

Last edited:

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
My 3 steps:

1 - Acquire a defender who stands up at the line. This doesn't have to be a big hitter, though bonus if so. Too many times the defense just coasts into their own zone with no challenge at the line. Play the damn body.

2 - Move Skinner to Berglund's wing. He and Eichel play too similar a game. Berglund plays a strong, simple two-way game. Fling the puck to the LW and let Skinner dance around on the ice.

3 - Wait. This one sucks, but this team is relying on a metric ****ton of under 22s to carry the load. That's an unbelievable amount of pressure. I have no doubt that this team gets better with time, but there's no way to rush the process without ruining the players.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
1- Wait until Quennville is fired and hire him immediately to replace Housley.

2- Actually a acquire a leader that can be the Messier to Eichel's Gretzky. Botts has had two offseasons and none of the players he has acquired was deemed worthy of wearing a letter this season. Botts, Housley, and everyone else felt that Bogosian was a better leader than any player that Botts has acquired. Let that sink in.

3- Keep the kids like Guhle, Pilut, Asplund, and Nylander away from Housley for as long as possible.

Reactions: Mitts888

zuikan

Mar 26, 2018
In a couple of months, or tomorrow...

Nylander-Eichel-Reinhardt
Sheary-Mittelstadt-Thompson
Skinner-Asplund-Girgensons
Rodrigues-Berglund-Okposo/Pominville

Pilut-Dahlin
Scandella-Ristolainen
McCabe-Bogosian/best of Amerks

Swap around 2nd & 3rd line wingers for best fits.

Reactions: N.Y. Orangeman

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
My 3 steps:

1 - Acquire a defender who stands up at the line. This doesn't have to be a big hitter, though bonus if so. Too many times the defense just coasts into their own zone with no challenge at the line. Play the damn body.

2 - Move Skinner to Berglund's wing. He and Eichel play too similar a game. Berglund plays a strong, simple two-way game. Fling the puck to the LW and let Skinner dance around on the ice.

3 - Wait. This one sucks, but this team is relying on a metric ****ton of under 22s to carry the load. That's an unbelievable amount of pressure. I have no doubt that this team gets better with time, but there's no way to rush the process without ruining the players.
I agree wholeheartedly with 1 and 3 here.

For point 1... Dahlin was a breath of fresh air last night as he made it really hard for players to get around him... not that he wasn't without gaffe's, but overall. He's going to be a huge boost for point 1 in a year or two. If we can get a solid tough-to-play-against defensive defenseman, that'd be great. Shame that couldn't have been Bogosian. Maybe it's Borgen down the road.

For point 3... you can see the potential in this group, which is why I'm not overly concerned with how they played in the opener. But it's going to take just the right amount of personal development, coaching and supporting personnel to make it all work. All of which will take time more than anything else.

If I had to add my own point 2, it's to work on their passing. Whether that's acquiring guys who can make tape to tape passes, or just practicing it non-stop with this group. Probably both. Players need to be in the right places on the ice, ready to receive those passes... and players need to read the ice better and actually pass it to eachother and not just in the "general vicinity" of where players might be.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
If I had to add my own point 2, it's to work on their passing. Whether that's acquiring guys who can make tape to tape passes, or just practicing it non-stop with this group. Probably both. Players need to be in the right places on the ice, ready to receive those passes... and players need to read the ice better and actually pass it to eachother and not just in the "general vicinity" of where players might be.

It's startling how bad their passing is. In the first period, Dahlin connect on a tape to tape pass from his right-side blueline diagonally to the left winger on the attacking line. There was an audible gasp from the crowd. Yeah, it was a nice pass, but that shouldn't be so out of the ordinary that the crowd reacts to it like that.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
It's startling how bad their passing is. In the first period, Dahlin connect on a tape to tape pass from his right-side blueline diagonally to the left winger on the attacking line. There was an audible gasp from the crowd. Yeah, it was a nice pass, but that shouldn't be so out of the ordinary that the crowd reacts to it like that.

It didn’t use to be. Tallinder Lydman and Campbell made those passes all the time. It’s just been a while since we had even average passing d.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I don't consider Skinner dead weight. I consider him a TDL asset.
Neither do I. I’m saying we can’t wait because we’re literally auditioning to keep our second best forward this season.

And I have pretty low expectations for his TDL return given his willingness to flex the NTC.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Except we can’t, because that’s how you lose Skinner and most of your value contracts.

Agreed, if their shitty play continues we'll either lose assets like Skinner at the TDL for pennies on the dollar or in the offseason for nothing...

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Neither do I. I’m saying we can’t wait because we’re literally auditioning to keep our second best forward this season.

And I have pretty low expectations for his TDL return given his willingness to flex the NTC.

I've never viewed Skinner as a long term player for the Sabres. I think he's here for this season and that's it. I think Skinner would waive his NTC to go to a contender for a few months, wherever that may be.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
All great teams have at least one strong and dependable defensive defenceman, who can go up against, and play +/- 0 against the other team's top player(s).

This is the case for all teams except for Pittsburgh. They somehow manage to win cups with a highly ordinary D corpse.

Then again, almost all their forwards are hard-working and defensively responsible/intelligent.

Backchecking, positioning and relentlessness are the keys to a great team defence.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
All great teams have at least one strong and dependable defensive defenceman, who can go up against, and play +/- 0 against the other team's top player(s).

This is the case for all teams except for Pittsburgh. They somehow manage to win cups with a highly ordinary D corpse.

Then again, almost all their forwards are hard-working and defensively responsible/intelligent.

Backchecking, positioning and relentlessness are the keys to a great team defence.
Brian Dumoulin says hi.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I've never viewed Skinner as a long term player for the Sabres. I think he's here for this season and that's it. I think Skinner would waive his NTC to go to a contender for a few months, wherever that may be.
Then why even acquire a player who can’t play with your other talent, and who gets in the way of developmental roles because he needs sheltering?

The chance to turn Pu and a 2nd into another protected first? Blah.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
My team.

Sheary-Eichel-Nylander

Mittelstadt-Reinhart-Okposo

Skinner-Berglund-Thompson

Rodrigues-Asplund-Pominville

Dahlin-A.Larsson

Scandella-Pilut

McCabe-Anyone who has a last name that doesn't start with a "B".

This team would without a doubt be more competitive than the one we're icing now.

Thoughts?

Member 308457

1. Get a world-beater goaltender.
2. Acquire fast, hard-nosed players who can fight, pass and score.
3. Make good hockey trades and not acquire other teams' overpaid, concussion-prone players.

Last edited by a moderator:

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
* Trade Ristolainen for a defensive stallion like (for instance) Adam Larsson. Buffalo lacks a defensive minute-eating monster, especially as a mentor next to Dahlin.

None of Buffalo's current defencemen have a defensive skill-level that is needed to be a competitive team.

There is enough skill in the organisation to create the offence. Not that I write in the organisation, not on Buffalo' current roster.

* Separate Eichel and Reinhart, to center the two top lines.

Berglund is a great defensive forward with a high-end possession game, but lacks the offensive instincts to center a #2 scoring line.

Also put Skinner on the third line. He has always produced more with nobodies than with star centers.

* Fire Housley. Seriously, fire him immediately. He could probably do a decent job as a coach for the power play, since that was the only area he excelled in during his active career.

No to your second point. Sam doesn't like playing center, doesn't want to play center, and has expressed his displeasure with past experiments. Separate them? Sure. Not that way.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Then why even acquire a player who can’t play with your other talent, and who gets in the way of developmental roles because he needs sheltering?

The chance to turn Pu and a 2nd into another protected first? Blah.

Asset management. Pu and a 2nd wouldn't get a first. But Skinner might as a TDL acquisition for a contender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad