News Article: Five reasons why Canucks will make the Playoffs

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I think yesterday pretty much shot the hopes of the playoffs. This team could not afford to lose Edler. beiga in for Edler is a serious drop in talent, and I like Biega. I doubt Biega plays with Tanev, so not too sure what the pairings will be.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Perfect timing for this thread, as Edler goes down (and Bae is out, and we call up a goalie from Junior).

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
If the Canucks make the playoffs, it'll be because of Pettersson. Without him the team drops 5-6 spots.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Yeah the Canucks are going to make the playoffs over a team that employs Mikko Rantanen and Nathan Mackinnon because they have Antoine Rousell....

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
I can think of some reasons why they wouldn't make the playoffs.

Elders injury is going to mean they are forced to play their depth defenseman more minutes which is a yikes.

The team isn't good to begin with. Really shows in the underlining possession metrics.

If the Canucks make the playoffs it will be off of the rest of the conference's bad play.

Reactions: Hit the post

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
This team is on pace for well under 90 points regardless. The only reason this is even a question is because a large majority of the Western Conference is a garbage can. I mean who makes the playoffs with ~85 points.

There's really only one point that needs to on this list and it's whether the rest of the West allows the Canucks to make it, or pulls up their socks.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Five Reasons the Vancouver Canucks Will Make the Playoffs

1) Travis Green

2) Jacob Markstrom

3) Elias Pettersson

4) Antoine Roussel

5) Canucks forward lines from top to bottom

Why Green? I don't think Green is that bad aside from Gaunce, and Hutton last year, and Granlund/Schaller, and Pouliot/Gudbranson, and Goldobin.

But I don't think he should be getting credit for a rookie stepping in and looking like a potential generational player and Markstrom emerging as the goalie he always had the potential to be. I don't think he's "getting everything out of his players" with great coaching or dominating with his system.

Edler and Tanev are Edler and Tanev. If you want to give him credit for Hutton, sure. Markstrom has been underrated and that's a goaltending coach thing. Pettersson is Pettersson.

He still fed Pouliot tons of PP time rather than giving it to Hutton or Stetcher while Edler was out. He still has Granlund playing regularly after waiving Gaunce. He still took forever to realize that Gudbranson isn't good and that he needs to cut his minutes.

If he relied on Hutton/Stetcher over Pouliot on the PP, played Gaunce instead of Granlund, and cut Gudbranson's minutes earlier we would have more points than we do now.

Last edited:

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
I love the Frenchmen but he think rousell outta all other possible candidates would push the team to a playoff spot? LoL

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
yeah the canucks are on an 84 point pace. 3 below the lowest playoff bar since 2004.

There has been 3? teams since the 2005 lockout that have made the playoffs with less than 90 points.

Reactions: TruGr1t

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
This team is on pace for well under 90 points regardless. The only reason this is even a question is because a large majority of the Western Conference is a garbage can. I mean who makes the playoffs with ~85 points.

There's really only one point that needs to on this list and it's whether the rest of the West allows the Canucks to make it, or pulls up their socks.
We hit 83 points with the Torts disastrous season

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell

Yup. The reality if the Canucks had 54 points on this date last year they would be 7 points out of a playoff spot and there is likely no talk about a potential playoff berth.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Well, I think most of us here would love nothing more than get into the playoffs and make a little noise.

But this injury just kills us. No single player has as much impact to our success at the moment than Edler.

And I strongly disagree on point 5 of your argument. We have atrocious skill on the wings, especially our top 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad