Five-man unit

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Well Yzerman, Fedorov, and Lidstrom are obvious locks. Beyond that it mostly depends on whether the criteria is their time as Wings only or their peak value. If we are talking Wings-only then probably Shanahan and Coffey. Peak value I'd probably still go with Shanahan and it'd be a tossup between Coffey and Chelios.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Well Yzerman, Fedorov, and Lidstrom are obvious locks. Beyond that it mostly depends on whether the criteria is their time as Wings only or their peak value. If we are talking Wings-only then probably Shanahan and Coffey. Peak value I'd probably still go with Shanahan and it'd be a tossup between Coffey and Chelios.

You could even go with Fedorov at D with Lidstrom and roll Shanahan, Yzerman, and Hull up front.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
This poll seems kind of boring, but what the hell else is there to do?

Yzerman, Fedorov, Lidstrom and Shanahan are guaranteed spots so you basically have to choose between Coffey and Chelios. I picked Chelios.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
You could even go with Fedorov at D with Lidstrom and roll Shanahan, Yzerman, and Hull up front.
I don't think Fedorov on defense was ever a real known thing. We have a few games here and there and lots of coach and player tidbits on it but nothing solid. Certainly not enough to convince me he'd belong there over Coffey. People forget that Coffey won a Norris with us in '95.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
You could just put Hull in for the one-timer ("Stamkos" role) with Lidstrom as the PP QB and Federov and Yzerman as setup/backup. Shanahan net-front presence.

Still went with Chelios though.

RedWingsNow*

Yzerman-Fedorov-Shanahan
Lidstrom-Chelios

I really can't see any other option that competes with this... Though Coffee for Chelios is somewhat debateable... I'd like some nastiness to go with Saint Nick

Z40

High Compete Level
Feb 10, 2012
Detroit
Robitaille-Yzerman-Hull
Lidstrom-Chelios

I figure with Lids, Cheli, and Yzerman, you don't need your wingers to backcheck so why not go full offense. Robitaille seems to be underrated on here. He's the highest-scoring left wing of all-time. And Hull is only second to Gordie Howe as the highest-scoring right wing of all-time. I'm not necessarily picking the top five players as much as trying to find chemistry. I think this unit could score a lot of goals.

An alternative line could be:

Shanahan-Fedorov-Ciccarelli

Grit and toughness with some finesse in the middle. "Big Balls" Dino as the net-front presence would be useful. You could get a ton of redirect/rebound goals with Lids at the point. I might even like this line better than the first. I think they would be more fun to watch.

Zorin

Sep 2, 2002
Germany
www.krefeld-penguins.de
It all depends on the criteria. Yzerman and Lidström are locks obviously. Whatever way you see it. Feds depends. If you only take their Redwings-time then a Robitaille doesn't even belong to that list. If you look at carreer he is a lock to me. So is Hully. But for some reason I like Lucky Luc more. Always did. So I give him the nodd and leave Hully out for the sake of Shanny. Wings-bias comes though here.

On D I think there is a lot of options. Never been a fan of Coffey cause he never was a D-man. Not even in his prime. He never had to play defense in the Gretzky-oilers era or the Mario-Pens. But his shortcomings became obvious in the finals against the Devils. Don't like him. Fetisov payed too little of his prime in the NHL and it is hard to compare russian hockey to this. So it is between Murph and Cheli. I think endurance and physical play give Cheli a pretty sight edge. So:

Lucky Luc/Stevie Y/Shanny
Lids/Cheli

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
I went with

Feds-Yzerman-Hull

Lidstrom-Coffey

I wasn't sure if we were talking Even strength or powerplay...but it really doesn't matter. I also assumed prime, if that was the case I don't think you could pick a better combination. When Coffey would decide to rush with the puck Fedorov could drop back and probably be a better defender than Coffey. If we were talking Powerplay I would take out Coffey and put Feds on the point and insert Shanny as the other forward.

Lidstrom to Fedorov one timer was a thing of beauty, and vice versa.

RedWingsNow*

I went with "time in Detroit."
I don't consider Lucky Lucs 50-goal seasons in the 80s or on Gretzky's wing as relevant to the Red Wings. And I view Hull, in Red Wings terms, as a 30-40 goal man, not a 70-80 goal man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->