OT: Fitness and Nutrition XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Just banged out an outdoor workout in the freezing cold. Was freaking miserable.

I am getting back into it, slowly. I did too much, too fast in 2018 and ended up with hamstring injury.

I do 5km-10km twice a week now. Not the fastest pace at 6:10/km on average but it does feel great.
Running outside yesterday was a pain, and it ain't getting easier as temperatures get even colder. It's mostly my face that feels the cold. I also find I run faster in cold weather because I want to get it over with!

Stationary outdoor workouts are probably really rough because you're not moving and increasing body heat.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
They are not as harmful as you think, definitely not that harmful for Olympic athletes, if they even are.

They are also all on something

Everyone is free to believe as they like,granted,but I go by science and medical professionals that have more experience in dealing with PED's.

As for all Olympic athletes use PED's, is just not accurate and pro athletes either. Sure some do,but not all of them.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Everyone is free to believe as they like,granted,but I go by science and medical professionals that have more experience in dealing with PED's.

As for all Olympic athletes use PED's, is just not accurate and pro athletes either. Sure some do,but not all of them.

Medical professionals use PEDs (steroids) on a daily for patients to help them recover quicker.
You have a rash? Steroid cream. Bad car crash? Steroid. Cancer? Steroid. No more or low testosterone? Steroid.

It is the closest things to a superhuman drug. It truly is magical.
The downside is it comes with side effects so you need to be smart about how and what to use.

The ex-head of WADA claimed 99% of Olympians were likely on some PEDs, and it makes perfect sense. You're talking about athletes where a fraction of a fraction of a second can make the difference between front of the wheaties box or relatively unknown.
I bet you can tell me who's the fastest sprinter in the world, nobody knows who the hell is 2nd fastest though, and the difference is only 0.11 seconds. So ya, PED use is very common and as Icarus showed, some countries like Russia flat out had doping programs for their national teams. I'm sure other countries do. I also know Ukraine weightlifters are encouraged to get on PEDs from their teenage years.
Every day folks just aren't that involved in sports so they don't care and just assume most are clean, but that's likely to be very far from reality.

And yes, I do support their usage. PEDs have been demonized in the press. They're not bad, they're extremely good. You just shouldn't abuse them but the same is true of any drugs.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Its leverages more than typical force production. Stefi Cohen lifts as much as me in most lifts, id still manhandle her if we tried BJJ.
Well fighting is different and you're also strong.
I'm pretty sure Stefi could manhandle most of my friends.

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
significant deals on garmin wacthes coming up with bestbuy on the 22nd, saw the flyer.

Being a runner, I swear by my watch... I will upgrade to the garmin fenix 5x or 6 depending on the saving on the 6 next week. the 5x models will go from 500 to 350 on the 2nd

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Youre not referring to science when you quote popular beliefs, brother.

Well fighting is different and you're also strong.
I'm pretty sure Stefi could manhandle most of my friends.
You need stronger friends :sarcasm:

Im just putting into perspective, pretty sure Id mop the floor with Stefi at anything strength related, but she can hang with me at the three lifts (And beat me at olympic lifting.)

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
I am getting back into it, slowly. I did too much, too fast in 2018 and ended up with hamstring injury.

I do 5km-10km twice a week now. Not the fastest pace at 6:10/km on average but it does feel great.

Good job.

My pace is about 4:50/km right now. (+-5 seconds)
I was a little bit faster when I was running more in the summer.

I ran 21.1km on october 1st to challenge myself.

1:41:42

It's getting tougher to run. It gets dark really soon and it's cold too.

Reactions: Le CH

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You need stronger friends :sarcasm:

Im just putting into perspective, pretty sure Id mop the floor with Stefi at anything strength related, but she can hang with me at the three lifts (And beat me at olympic lifting.)

Of course, just like she can mop the floor with everyone in your BJJ club at powerlifting.
Even for fighters, GSP said it himself, he might be considered the best of the world but in a bar fight he'd probably get KOd (paraphrasing).

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Of course, just like she can mop the floor with everyone in your BJJ club at powerlifting.
Even for fighters, GSP said it himself, he might be considered the best of the world but in a bar fight he'd probably get KOd (paraphrasing).
Thats him being humble, theres no way GSP gets knocked out by randos in a bar. He has some of the best striking and striking defense in the world

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Thats him being humble, theres no way GSP gets knocked out by randos in a bar. He has some of the best striking and striking defense in the world

Quite a good neck/chin too. Even if his face gets puffier than a strawberry the moment he gets hit.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
If I remember correctly he was speaking from experience. For sure he was being humble, but his point was in a bar anything goes and things are completely unpredictable. He said guys have no pattern or strategy for him to detect, he always refers to fighting (in pro fights) as a game of chess but when guys are just swinging wildly moving forward you can't predict anything. Makes it harder.
But of course, 99.999999999% of the time GSP still wins.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
If I remember correctly he was speaking from experience. For sure he was being humble, but his point was in a bar anything goes and things are completely unpredictable. He said guys have no pattern or strategy for him to detect, he always refers to fighting (in pro fights) as a game of chess but when guys are just swinging wildly moving forward you can't predict anything. Makes it harder.
But of course, 99.999999999% of the time GSP still wins.

Unless there's some guy with some pretty crazy strength anyway, in bar fights, it's always the group that has the most people in it that wins. Or the ones that hit blindly. There's absolutely no sense of honor in bar and street fights.

When I played hockey I was not nervous the slightest when fighting someone. Worse comes to worst you get punched pretty good but at least you expect it. Getting in a bar fight though? I would do it unless my life depended on it or if I was VERY confident to win. Anyone can get a knife out of nowhere and stab you or sucker punch you when you least expect it. Shit always turns ugly.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Unless there's some guy with some pretty crazy strength anyway, in bar fights, it's always the group that has the most people in it that wins. Or the ones that hit blindly. There's absolutely no sense of honor in bar and street fights.

When I played hockey I was not nervous the slightest when fighting someone. Worse comes to worst you get punched pretty good but at least you expect it. Getting in a bar fight though? I would do it unless my life depended on it or if I was VERY confident to win. Anyone can get a knife out of nowhere and stab you or sucker punch you when you least expect it. Shit always turns ugly.

Ya that was his point.
Same for me, actually loved getting into fights and scraps in hockey. I never understood the appeal in a bar/club though, just there to drink and have fun with friends, if all goes well, pick up some chicks. I don't have to get into a royal rumble because someone stepped on my shoe or made me spill a drink by accident.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Just sucking up some motivation for another outdoor run. It's -4, not deep freeze, but still winter weather. Somebody give me an excuse to stay inside....:laugh:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

I got wrecked by three dudes in a park a few years ago, I told the first dude (I thought he was alone) to leave me alone and to stop talking shit (He was hitting on my date.) or Id wreck his ass. Next thing you know I woke up a few seconds (Minutes?) later all bloodied up with a really really sore face.

I swear the dude was 130 pounds and I would have probably punched him once and it would've been cool... I pushed him once and he fell on the ground, after that I just remember my then date screaming loudly and I was essentially gone.

p***yes.

And thats the last time I, hopefully, have to get punched (Potentially kicked?) in the noggin.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I got wrecked by three dudes in a park a few years ago, I told the first dude (I thought he was alone) to leave me alone and to stop talking shit (He was hitting on my date.) or Id wreck his ass. Next thing you know I woke up a few seconds (Minutes?) later all bloodied up with a really really sore face.

I swear the dude was 130 pounds and I would have probably punched him once and it would've been cool... I pushed him once and he fell on the ground, after that I just remember my then date screaming loudly and I was essentially gone.

p***yes.

And thats the last time I, hopefully, have to get punched (Potentially kicked?) in the noggin.

Yup, my friend had something similar happen to him in the bathroom of a bar. Was aggressed by someone in the bathroom for "taking his spot", pushed him away, next thing he knew there was another one in a bathroom cabin and he was punched pretty hard in the face. The bouncer intervened at this point. But yeah.

This is always the kind of shit that happens in random fights. In sportive events it's never like this.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Did some deadlifting last week and it felt like my elbow was on fire.

I think what happened was that when I put the bar down on my lifts I may have put it down a bit too quickly. And because I'm using a hex bar, my elbow absorbed the shock. I'm going to put some pads underneath where the plates go on the floor to help fix this problem but man that was crazy. I've given it a week off and it feels okay now but it felt really sore trying to bend it.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Did some deadlifting last week and it felt like my elbow was on fire.

I think what happened was that when I put the bar down on my lifts I may have put it down a bit too quickly. And because I'm using a hex bar, my elbow absorbed the shock. I'm going to put some pads underneath where the plates go on the floor to help fix this problem but man that was crazy. I've given it a week off and it feels okay now but it felt really sore trying to bend it.
Weird, do you hold the bar very tightly even when you drop it ? That may be it. i just let everything loose once i pass the knees.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Weird, do you hold the bar very tightly even when you drop it ? That may be it. i just let everything loose once i pass the knees.
It's really weird... I did it tonight and it started to hurt so I stopped. Going to go to physio. Might have tendonitis or something.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I get elbow pain whenever I do close grip bench or sometimes overhead tricep extensions but never deadlift. It’s like a tennis elbow feeling and goes away if I avoid the lift- which I’ve avoided all lifts since March lol

plus side is all my nagging injuries are gone!

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Medical professionals use PEDs (steroids) on a daily for patients to help them recover quicker.
You have a rash? Steroid cream. Bad car crash? Steroid. Cancer? Steroid. No more or low testosterone? Steroid.

It is the closest things to a superhuman drug. It truly is magical.
The downside is it comes with side effects so you need to be smart about how and what to use.

The ex-head of WADA claimed 99% of Olympians were likely on some PEDs, and it makes perfect sense. You're talking about athletes where a fraction of a fraction of a second can make the difference between front of the wheaties box or relatively unknown.
I bet you can tell me who's the fastest sprinter in the world, nobody knows who the hell is 2nd fastest though, and the difference is only 0.11 seconds. So ya, PED use is very common and as Icarus showed, some countries like Russia flat out had doping programs for their national teams. I'm sure other countries do. I also know Ukraine weightlifters are encouraged to get on PEDs from their teenage years.
Every day folks just aren't that involved in sports so they don't care and just assume most are clean, but that's likely to be very far from reality.

And yes, I do support their usage. PEDs have been demonized in the press. They're not bad, they're extremely good. You just shouldn't abuse them but the same is true of any drugs.

Big difference between a topical corticosteroids etc for recovery or an ailment as opposed to the PED's that healthy people take looking for a cheat method of gaining superiority. Most people associate PED's as anabolic steroids,HGH,blood doping etc. Those are the ones banned for obvious reasons. The pro athletes and Olympic athletes I have know have never admitted or knowingly taken anything,myself included aside from cold medicine when under the weather and you see the results.

PED's for a ''quality of life'' for those that need them,fine,but a healthy individual just trying to juice up,shame.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
still ride my bike to work, did it this morning at 6AM. -12 I think... and it was just fine.

tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad