OT: Fitness and Nutrition X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnold Schwarzaneger

Feb 16, 2020
The more meat/dairy/eggs you eat the unhealthier you become. Eliminate plants and eat heavy animal products and see how sick you become. But the opposite can’t be said for vegans. Also these Keto people are destroying their organs. Keto is bullshit and extremely unhealthy.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Pigs in the wild will eat plants first, they are prey, they aren’t predators, they will scavenge insects and small dead animals for survival if needed.

Real omnivores are predators just like carnivores, they primarily hunt meat because they are physically designed to hunt. Real omnivores aren’t prey, they only turn to plants when there’s no meat around.

So there’s a big difference there. If you wanna get super technical and refuse to see the logic between the 2 then I can’t force you.

Again, pigs are omnivores.
The definition of omnivore is a being capable of feeding on both animal and plant based food. That's it that's all. The definition is clear and void of any grey area. This idea that omnivores need to eat 80% (or wtv arbitrary number you pull out of your ass) of their food from animals is complete fabrication.

''Real omnivores only turn to plants when no meat is around'' is complete BS.
Chimpanzees are omnivores, they barely eat any meat.
I mean, you're just flat out inventing stuff right now just so you can prop up your vegan life.

Reactions: HBDay

BeastMode420

Jan 30, 2018
The more meat/dairy/eggs you eat the unhealthier you become. Eliminate plants and eat heavy animal products and see how sick you become. But the opposite can’t be said for vegans. Also these Keto people are destroying their organs. Keto is bull**** and extremely unhealthy.

lol , look at Joe Rogan on the carnivore diet he said it eliminated all his health problem ... Vegan ideologue.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The more meat/dairy/eggs you eat the unhealthier you become. Eliminate plants and eat heavy animal products and see how sick you become. But the opposite can’t be said for vegans. Also these Keto people are destroying their organs. Keto is bull**** and extremely unhealthy.
You can die from too much water too, and eating too much Broccoli (or cruciferous veggies) can lead to hypothyroidism. Of course, this is more rare, but point being, moderation is key. A balanced way of eating with no restrictions is always my motto.

I know people who had terrible keto results and others had terrific ones. Some love veganism, others tried and hated it.
Ask Mikhaila Peterson about the Carnivore diet, she says it's the only diet that has helped her remedy her many chronic auto-immune health issues. I would never advise someone to do this, but hey, apparently it's worked wonders for her.
Moral of the story here is, nutrition is very individual. That's all there is to it. The common folk should stop preaching restrictive diets to others as if they know anything about the matter just because they watched a couple movies...

Personally, if I had to advise a specific diet, I'd tell people to eat the Mediterranean way. It's the most inclusive and nutrient rich.

Last edited:

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
We would still be able to absorb nutrients from meat, look at pigs for example, factory farming usually feeds dead pigs back to the pigs, pigs are herbivores and they can absorb the nutrients just fine. We absorb it, but our bodies struggle to do it, that’s why if you eat too much meat and dairy you feel disgusting and go into a “meat coma”
We are scavengers, we are pray, without our intelligence in tool making we would be completely screwed in the wild. We’re pickers, designed to pick easy plant matter to eat.

You know as well as I do that we didn’t just “evolve” from primates like the main stream scientist hacks want us to believe. There’s so many holes in that story and impossibilities. You’re smarter than that.
Lol, it’s all a conspiracy and I’m in on it and I had no idea.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
No that’s not a fact, it’s an opinion. Humans have zero characteristics of an omnivore and 100% characteristics of a herbivore. Our extreme intelligence and tool making abilities/inventions allowed us to choose to be omnivores. There’s secluded places in China where they have never consumed animal products and guess what, they have no disease, no cancer no nothing. Look at the China study, a 30 year study on nutrition, the biggest study ever done on human nutrition. (Animal industries’ nightmare)
You have no idea what you are talking about.

The ability to digest both veggies and meat is what Makes a specie omnivore.

Your decision to not eat meat does not change that.

The cult you adhere to does not change that either.

Your total absence of objectivity does not change that.

Do vegans à favor and stop talking Abou stuff you obviously know nothing about

Last edited:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I honestly had no idea that "progressive overload" as a concept has a fancy label.
Progressive Overload: The Concept You Must Know To Grow! | Bodybuilding.com
As far as I can tell, it just means make your workout harder from one week to the next. That seems like something that should happen automatically with weightlifting, if you're lifting to failure and eating enough protein.

Interestingly, the article also makes the claim that the 8-12 rep range is optimal for hypertrophy. I didn't know that. I thought that 6 reps was optimal for mass/size gains.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I honestly had no idea that "progressive overload" as a concept has a fancy label.
As far as I can tell, it just means make your workout harder from one week to the next. That seems like something that should happen automatically with weightlifting, if you're lifting to failure and eating enough protein.

Interestingly, the article also makes the claim that the 8-12 rep range is optimal for hypertrophy. I didn't know that. I thought that 6 reps was optimal for mass/size gains.

Conventional wisdom is that, but some people respond better to different parameters.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013

I think you need a mix of everything. The essential is to do something more from training to training. My algorithm goes like this;

A) Add weight on the previous session
B) If you can't add weight, add reps
C) If you can't add reps, add sets
D) If you can't add sets, increase density (decrease rest time)

Plus, reps are just a way to track the tension you put on your muscles. Muscles don't care about reps or sets. They only respond to tension. The main part of your training session for hypertrophy purposes should consist of sets that last 40 to 70 seconds.

People who do tons and tons of sets per session probably do sets of 20 seconds with lightning fast reps. No wonder they can do more "volume". But in fact they only do more reps. They don't accumulate more tension on their muscles

Reactions: NotProkofievian

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I think you need a mix of everything. The essential is to do something more from training to training. My algorithm goes like this;

A) Add weight on the previous session
B) If you can't add weight, add reps
C) If you can't add reps, add sets
D) If you can't add sets, increase density (decrease rest time)

Plus, reps are just a way to track the tension you put on your muscles. Muscles don't care about reps or sets. They only respond to tension. The main part of your training session for hypertrophy purposes should consist of sets that last 40 to 70 seconds.

People who do tons and tons of sets par surtout probably do sets of 20 seconds with lightning fast reps. No wonder they can do more "volume". But in fact they only do more reps. They don't accumulate more tension on their muscles

So, you're suggesting that the individual reps be slower? That makes sense, otherwise you're just abusing momentum.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
So, you're suggesting that the individual reps be slower? That makes sense, otherwise you're just abusing momentum.

For hypertrophy, that is. Most of your body of work should consist in slow, controlled reps.

Still, on my main lift, say bench, squat or deadlift, I don't go bonkers on counting time under tension. I just try to focus on controlling the negatives. You still want to add weight and increase strength over time.

On accessories, though, say incline dumbbell press or hack squat, i count my negatives in 2 or 3 seconds.

For powerlifting, this is a completely different philosophy. You want to make the lift as efficient as possible. While tempo work can be integrated as a tool to improve a weak point (paused bench, iso hold on the sticking point of your deadlift...), the focus is to train the lift. Whereas in hypertrophy, you work the muscle.

Last edited:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
in my experience, I'd rather do more reps at a medium weight than low reps at a high weight, injuries taken in factor

Oh yeah, injuries are an issue for sure. I'll always do low weight with high reps for the squat, because the squat applies pressure on the lower back.

But for other exercises, I find that high reps can be boring. If I don't finish the dumbbell bench press or seated row in 12 reps, I risk getting bored and making mistakes.

Reactions: justafan22

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Any durable wrist wraps suggestions? I've been experimenting with the basic Walmart brand and the first one I bought lasted maybe 2 weeks before the velcro started coming off. The second one I bought lasted exactly one training session before the very same thing happened.

Thinking of paying a bit more if it can last at least a few months...

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

Personally, before I started paying close attention to my lifts and keeping a log of the weights/sets/reps while trying to improve on any of the parameters on a week-over-week basis, I'd find myself stuck on plateaus for months at a time.

For beginner lifters, I guess you can't help but see very big progress in a short amount of time where it inevitably leads to harder workouts as time goes on. But once you get to that intermediate stage where progress comes by a lot slower, I do think progressive overload is key in progressing at a steady pace. It worked wonders for me, at least.

You have to be very disciplined and consistent for it to work, though.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Any durable wrist wraps suggestions? I've been experimenting with the basic Walmart brand and the first one I bought lasted maybe 2 weeks before the velcro started coming off. The second one I bought lasted exactly one training session before the very same thing happened.

I was expecting an answer by now @Mrb1p

giphy.gif

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy

SBD Wrist Wraps - Black & RedStiff Medium

stiff medium, nothing better

Reactions: Lebowski and Mrb1p

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I need to go to the gym tomorrow. I've just been doing jiu jitsu for the last month. It's just so much easier to wake up for jiu jitsu than to lift weights.

Reactions: angusyoung
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad