OT: Fitness and Nutrition Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
3 weeks is more than enough time. Either she's misinformed, has terrible taste or just doesn't know where to go. Surprising though...
I can send you a message with recommendations you can pass along to her if you want.
She doesnt really get 3 weeks, shes working and moving from factory to factory, she has a day or two to visit in there, but yeah the list would be great.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Well, there is a difference between food in China and food in Hong Kong, and then it depends where she was located.
If she's in the expat friendly areas, you really have to purposely look for bad places. There are so many different restaurants, so many good ones, with a wide variety of cuisines.
If she was staying up north in more local areas, then yes, she needs to know what local joints are actually good.

If she was there for 3 weeks, on business, coming from Canada, then she was probably in expat area. I don't really know how she left with a terrible food experience. I'm very curious to know where she ate out.
I mean, if it's american food she likes, well, okay, probably not going to be your favorite spot, but we have a hooters to satisfy those needs...lol

Seriously, Hong Kong is a major Foodie spot. Every month there's about 10 new restaurants opening. You can go from cheap street food to many different Michelin Star restaurants to choose from.
People have this misconception with Hong Kong, or Asia in general. They think of Montreal's Chinatown, I thought the same before moving here, but Hong Kong is more like New York than anything else.
Interesting, I guess her chinese coworkers took her into more local/traditional places maybe? I dont know.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
She doesnt really get 3 weeks, shes working and moving from factory to factory, she has a day or two to visit in there, but yeah the list would be great.
1) Din Tai Fung - Original one is from Taiwan. Excellent dumplings, get the Xiolongbao (soup inside the dumpling) and spicy Wonton. Peanut sauce noodles very tasty too. Pretty cheap too.
2) Tokyolima - Japanese Peruvian mix. Maybe my favorite spot. I order the tasting menu for 80$, you get like 8 different dishes, all very tasty. Been to that place maybe 7-8 times, they change some things on the menu while clinging on to classics. It never failed me.
3) Sushi Kuu - No explanation needed..Bit pricy though. For cheaper option, Sen-Ryo.
4) Mak's Noodles - Anthony Bourdain spot. Personally, I find it okay. Good for a quick wonton soup. Cheap.
5) Bep - Vietnamese joint. Very tasty and simple.
6) Chom Chom - Also Vietnamese restaurant, but more trendy. Great spot for dinner before drinks.
7) La Vache - Our version of Entrecote St-Jean if I may say. No menu, salad appetizer, steak, free flow fries. Very nice vibe too, always packed.
8) Chachawan - Thai place. So flavorful. No a big salad guy myself but the papaya salad is excellent.
9) Yardbird - Yakitori everything. They cook from the neck of the chicken to its tail. Owners are actually Canadians.
10) Sangheetha - Indian. Probably the best Indian food I ever tasted, but I am not an expert on that cuisine.
11) Braza - Brazilian food. Same style of Milsa in Montreal but just better...
12) Grom - Gelato. Hands down best ice cream I ever had. So good.
13) Zuma - Asian fusion. They do a boozy brunch every weekend. For about 120$, you get excellent buffet food (very surprising considering I hate buffets), with free flow Ruinart Champagne. Best boozy brunch in Hong Kong.
14) Grassroots Pantry - Vegan nonsense. I only had a smoothie there as I'm not really into that mushroom burgers silliness, but if she wants vegan food, apparently this is the spot to go.

I mean, I'll stop there because I can keep going on for a while.
The more I think about it, the more it's insane for someone to say the food here is barf worthy.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
1) Din Tai Fung - Original one is from Taiwan. Excellent dumplings, get the Xiolongbao (soup inside the dumpling) and spicy Wonton. Peanut sauce noodles very tasty too. Pretty cheap too.
2) Tokyolima - Japanese Peruvian mix. Maybe my favorite spot. I order the tasting menu for 80$, you get like 8 different dishes, all very tasty. Been to that place maybe 7-8 times, they change some things on the menu while clinging on to classics. It never failed me.
3) Sushi Kuu - No explanation needed..Bit pricy though. For cheaper option, Sen-Ryo.
4) Mak's Noodles - Anthony Bourdain spot. Personally, I find it okay. Good for a quick wonton soup. Cheap.
5) Bep - Vietnamese joint. Very tasty and simple.
6) Chom Chom - Also Vietnamese restaurant, but more trendy. Great spot for dinner before drinks.
7) La Vache - Our version of Entrecote St-Jean if I may say. No menu, salad appetizer, steak, free flow fries. Very nice vibe too, always packed.
8) Chachawan - Thai place. So flavorful. No a big salad guy myself but the papaya salad is excellent.
9) Yardbird - Yakitori everything. They cook from the neck of the chicken to its tail. Owners are actually Canadians.
10) Sangheetha - Indian. Probably the best Indian food I ever tasted, but I am not an expert on that cuisine.
11) Braza - Brazilian food. Same style of Milsa in Montreal but just better...
12) Grom - Gelato. Hands down best ice cream I ever had. So good.
13) Zuma - Asian fusion. They do a boozy brunch every weekend. For about 120$, you get excellent buffet food (very surprising considering I hate buffets), with free flow Ruinart Champagne. Best boozy brunch in Hong Kong.
14) Grassroots Pantry - Vegan nonsense. I only had a smoothie there as I'm not really into that mushroom burgers silliness, but if she wants vegan food, apparently this is the spot to go.

I mean, I'll stop there because I can keep going on for a while.
The more I think about it, the more it's insane for someone to say the food here is barf worthy.
K now im hungry. Will pass on info.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I do, but that's not healthy food. I'll indulge in some on the weekends.
During the week I try to eat as healthy as possible.

I thought it was likely for that reason. No doubt the intake of saturated fats is impossible to manage when dealing with street vendors, and I'd be wary of the pesticides and other toxins in local products as well.

I'd still visit them though, perhaps while wearing cautionary goggles.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I thought it was likely for that reason. No doubt the intake of saturated fats is impossible to manage when dealing with street vendors, and I'd be wary of the pesticides and other toxins in local products as well.

I'd still visit them though, perhaps while wearing cautionary goggles.

So depends what you mean by street food. There's vendors that sell what looks like plastic meat, or fried crap, super cheap, smells like crap and doesn't look at all good. That I never even tasted but I see all the locals line up to buy from them.
Then there are others with tables and chairs in front of a little stand. That, I don't mind. Fried porc rice, shanghai fried dumplings, quick little wonton soup. No problem.
And obviously deserts like egg waffles.

So much deliciousness in Asia.

Reactions: DAChampion

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
So depends what you mean by street food. There's vendors that sell what looks like plastic meat, or fried crap, super cheap, smells like crap and doesn't look at all good. That I never even tasted but I see all the locals line up to buy from them.
Then there are others with tables and chairs in front of a little stand. That, I don't mind. Fried porc rice, shanghai fried dumplings, quick little wonton soup. No problem.
And obviously deserts like egg waffles.

So much deliciousness in Asia.

Street food for me is authentic cuisine that's typically prepared quickly, served simply and sold cheaply. BBQ beef sate skewers in Indonesia, Pho served in steaming bowls in the streets of Hanoi, shrimp and sweet potato fritters in Thailand.

I wouldn't touch the stuff you mentioned in the opening paragraph. For me that's carnival food. Faux cuisine made with inferior products with no nutritional value and tastes like ****.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Street food for me is authentic cuisine that's typically prepared quickly, served simply and sold cheaply. BBQ beef sate skewers in Indonesia, Pho served in steaming bowls in the streets of Hanoi, shrimp and sweet potato fritters in Thailand.

I wouldn't touch the stuff you mentioned in the opening paragraph. For me that's carnival food. Faux cuisine made with inferior products with no nutritional value and tastes like ****.
Well then we agree. There is some seriously delicious street food here.
Dim sums, wonton soups, fried rice, shanghai dumpings, egg waffles, lots of tasty stuff.
I think Vietnamese cuisine probably goes to the top for me though. It's so damn tasty.

..Then again...Thai food has so much flavor.

Really excited about going to Sri Lanka in couple weeks. Their spices and curries....Man, can't wait to try.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Well then we agree. There is some seriously delicious street food here.
Dim sums, wonton soups, fried rice, shanghai dumpings, egg waffles, lots of tasty stuff.
I think Vietnamese cuisine probably goes to the top for me though. It's so damn tasty.

..Then again...Thai food has so much flavor.

Really excited about going to Sri Lanka in couple weeks. Their spices and curries....Man, can't wait to try.

Sri Lankan curries are renowned for their marvelous flavours, but not typically their heat. Coconut sambol is a must, and fresh seafood is plentiful and often charcoal grilled.

You'll be very happy with the food.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Sri Lankan curries are renowned for their marvelous flavours, but not typically their heat. Coconut sambol is a must, and fresh seafood is plentiful and often charcoal grilled.

You'll be very happy with the food.
Yes I am not big with hot spiciness. I find it overpowers the taste of the actual food, which makes eating a bit pointless. I also don't enjoy sweating while eating.
So I should be happy with the curry. Charcoal grilled seafood is the best.
I'll be staying in a hut with my girl directly on the beach for first couple days, then moving to fancier hotel in the jungle. They have a fresh seafood restaurant inside a cave I believe.
Really looking forward to it.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
@DAChampion I received my results from DNA tests.
So apparently I have one of the best DNAs they've tested to date...loll
Basically I have no foot intolerances except for one....Whey. That was a bit surprising, then again, I never felt the protein shakes did much of anything for me. Never seemed to put on more muscle, recover or feel better, whenever I used some.
Aside from that, I have moderate tolerance for beef, egg whites, teff, peaches, onions, cabbage and green beans. They suggest eating those foods once every 3-4 days.
They also suggest my body would function best with a macro setting of 35 pro 35 carbs 30 fat.

For performance, I would get the most bang for my buck doing 2 high intensity workouts for every 3 slow steady aerobic one (weightlifting falls into that category). I kinda had a feeling about this actually given all my experiences over the years. I'll give this a try again.

Good thing is I did same test with different company, meeting them next week, will see if results differ or are consistent.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I went for my first workout since the 10-day fast this morning, at 7:00am before breakfast. I didn't do exactly the same exercises as before due to some spots being taken, etc, but my strength and endurance were all the same as before wherever I had a baseline. Number of reps were slightly lower, the same or slightly higher.

I'll check with a few other exercises on Sunday, but this is consistent with the general claim that strength is unaffected.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
@DAChampion I received my results from DNA tests.
So apparently I have one of the best DNAs they've tested to date...loll
Basically I have no foot intolerances except for one....Whey. That was a bit surprising, then again, I never felt the protein shakes did much of anything for me. Never seemed to put on more muscle, recover or feel better, whenever I used some.
Aside from that, I have moderate tolerance for beef, egg whites, teff, peaches, onions, cabbage and green beans. They suggest eating those foods once every 3-4 days.
They also suggest my body would function best with a macro setting of 35 pro 35 carbs 30 fat.

For performance, I would get the most bang for my buck doing 2 high intensity workouts for every 3 slow steady aerobic one (weightlifting falls into that category). I kinda had a feeling about this actually given all my experiences over the years. I'll give this a try again.

Good thing is I did same test with different company, meeting them next week, will see if results differ or are consistent.

What's teff?

Why do you need to regularly eat the things to which you have moderate tolerance for?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I went for my first workout since the 10-day fast this morning, at 7:00am before breakfast. I didn't do exactly the same exercises as before due to some spots being taken, etc, but my strength and endurance were all the same as before wherever I had a baseline. Number of reps were slightly lower, the same or slightly higher.

I'll check with a few other exercises on Sunday, but this is consistent with the general claim that strength is unaffected.
What exactly did you do..and how did you test the strength?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
What exactly did you do..and how did you test the strength?

I repeated some of the same workouts with the same weights as I used a couple weeks ago and I saw if I ended up doing a comparable number of reps over three sets.

What I try and aim for is three sets, with ~60 second breaks, on each workout where I lift to failure on each set. Once the total number of reps exceeds 30 (e.g. 12-10-8) I increase the weight.

I make no claim that this is scientifically motivated.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I repeated some of the same workouts with the same weights as I used a couple weeks ago and I saw if I ended up doing a comparable number of reps over three sets.

What I try and aim for is three sets, with ~60 second breaks, on each workout where I lift to failure on each set. Once the total number of reps exceeds 30 (e.g. 12-10-8) I increase the weight.

I make no claim that this is scientifically motivated.

Not trying to knock you down, but that's not how you test strength.
In any event, if you can still do pretty much the same weight, then it's fine for you.

I'm just starting IF. Decided to give it a go. Unfortunately I have a big saturday so definitely won't be able to do it that day. But I've done two days of eating 4pm to 10pm. Only had water and pre-workout.
Will do it for following 3 weeks before my vacation, I should see some effects by then.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
I don't know if it's the right place to post about it, but have ever tryed Champix? I've been on it for 5 days and I'm surprised by it's effectiveness to stop smoking.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
My ~10.5 day fast ended roughly a week ago, so here are the end results:

- Muscle, unaffected.
- Fat, roughly 10 lbs loss.
- Aesthetics, I don't have a six pack, but I look like I have a flat stomach when wearing a shirt. There's no tummy bulge. My hair, skin, and nails appear unaffected.
- Lower back pain, reduced.
- Sleep, improved but not perfect. I now sleep ~7 contiguous hours, but it could be due to other changes. My first night of good sleep in months was the night after the fast. Sleep is now 80% perfect, before it was like 40% good. When I wake up, I lounge in bed for thirty minutes, rather than 90-120 minutes.
- Urinary function -- my post-urinary drip is now 80% gone. I used to drip, drip, drip after peeing, for which I had an off-label prescription that was helping halfway and that I was building tolerance to. As in, I'd finish peeing, and then I might need to squeeze my balls to let the rest out (like a 70 year-old man), and then still I'd get an embarrassing stain a minute later once I walked around. I now have very little drip, and I'm off the drug for now.
- Mood, improved.
- Concentration, was improved but no longer very good. During the fast it was phenomenally good.

This is the first fast where I've noticed physiological improvement separate from weight loss, and not coincidentally it was my longest one. There are anecdotal reports of long fasts improving vision, auto-immune conditions, cancer, etc. Given this, I'd like to do another long fast in a month or two.
In the meantime, what I want to do is eat healthy and exercise between the fasts. I'm trying to add in cold showers.

ETA: My dreams have changed and my therapist joked that she wants to write a paper about it. Previously I was dreaming about things that I was afraid of. Now I'm dreaming about things that I want.

Reference: I'm a 34 year-old male North African Jewish caucasian single male, 1.81 meters / 5'11, and weigh 180 lbs. My bone structure is average for my height. Moderate drinker, single, non-smoker.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
My ~10.5 day fast ended roughly a week ago, so here are the end results:

- Muscle, unaffected.
- Fat, roughly 10 lbs loss.
- Aesthetics, I don't have a six pack, but I look like I have a flat stomach when wearing a shirt. There's no tummy bulge. My hair, skin, and nails appear unaffected.
- Lower back pain, reduced.
- Sleep, improved but not perfect. I now sleep ~7 contiguous hours, but it could be due to other changes. My first night of good sleep in months was the night after the fast. Sleep is now 80% perfect, before it was like 40% good. When I wake up, I lounge in bed for thirty minutes, rather than 90-120 minutes.
- Urinary function -- my post-urinary drip is now 80% gone. I used to drip, drip, drip after peeing, for which I had an off-label prescription that was helping halfway and that I was building tolerance to. As in, I'd finish peeing, and then I might need to squeeze my balls to let the rest out (like a 70 year-old man), and then still I'd get an embarrassing stain a minute later once I walked around. I now have very little drip, and I'm off the drug for now.
- Mood, improved.
- Concentration, was improved but no longer very good. During the fast it was phenomenally good.

This is the first fast where I've noticed physiological improvement separate from weight loss, and not coincidentally it was my longest one. There are anecdotal reports of long fasts improving vision, auto-immune conditions, cancer, etc. Given this, I'd like to do another long fast in a month or two.
In the meantime, what I want to do is eat healthy and exercise between the fasts. I'm trying to add in cold showers.

ETA: My dreams have changed and my therapist joked that she wants to write a paper about it. Previously I was dreaming about things that I was afraid of. Now I'm dreaming about things that I want.

Reference: I'm a 34 year-old male North African Jewish caucasian single male, 1.81 meters / 5'11, and weigh 180 lbs. My bone structure is average for my height. Moderate drinker, single, non-smoker.

So I went back in the thread to see what kind of fast you were talking about and couldn't find it, what did you do?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
So I went back in the thread to see what kind of fast you were talking about and couldn't find it, what did you do?

10.5 days of nearly perfect water-only fasting, last meal was a Saturday night, first a Wednesday morning, I think.

I had chia seed pudding + miso soup with vegetables on days 3,4,5 (approximately), maybe ~250 calories/day, purpose was to poop. I also had a flat white on day 8, for fun. So total was under 1,000 calories in the ten days. I drank a lot of water, a lot of sparkling water, a lot of sugar-free gum, I had a lot of tea, and I transitioned from 2 cups to 1 cup of coffee a day.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
A powerlifting coach was interviewed on Donald Trump Jr.s poor form on the squat:
https://theslot.jezebel.com/powerlifting-coach-on-don-jr-s-terrible-form-and-the-da-1826960209

Excerpt,

Tell me more about his form—what’s right, what’s wrong?
I mean, hey, he’s got a bar on his back. And by that I mean he actually is attempting to do some kind of squat. That’s always positive, because we like to see as many people out there in the world lifting as possible. After that, I’m looking through the video right now—it seems that he takes his time to set up properly, he starts with his good gaze, but then it all goes to hell after that.
it all goes to hell after that.
He’s out of his league in lifting this just because it’s way too heavy. We can tell when somebody cuts depth, when they’re squatting too high. On top of that, his knees are caving in as well—we call that valgus knees, which means he doesn’t have control of his adductors, also known as your groin muscles. He holds his breath, then he kind of throws his neck back—I usually don’t like people to throw their neck back too hard when they’re squatting because that puts too much strain on the cervical spine and you can end up with a wicked tension headache later on. Also, it does always make me nervous when people are spotting but not really spotting, or people are cheering someone on and the lift is not legit. That’s not the way that I would coach.
And it’s really not that heavy for someone of his size, and somebody who says that he’s been training. The thing that kills me is at the end where he says, “PR, baby.” I don’t know what this is a PR in. That’s my observation.

One of the users posted this in the comments:

There’s no point in dragging him for being that guy in the gym. Every gym has them. That Junior is one of them is no surprise. Sooner or later, his shitty form will take him down, then he can walk around talking about “Well, when I used to lift....before I blew out my back....”
Keep piling on the plates, Junior. Yer awesome.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Only watched half of it but quite interesting and it's good to know I apply a lot of the things such a high level and recognized coach talks about.

He loses me a bit when he goes into philosophical theories vs science, but it was interesting for the training discussion.

Last edited:

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Only watched half of it but quite interesting and it's good to know I apply a lot of the things such a high level and recognized coach talks about.

He loses me a bit when he goes into philosophical theories vs science, but it was interesting for the training discussion.

Joe seemed angry that Firas spoke about philosophy, I've never seen him so close minded. Anyways , analytical philosophy does that to me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad