OT: Fitness and Nutrition Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Again, what changes would you have made to the study? Do you really think the dummies at Harvard didn't think this through?
some were smokers some were not, wich group had more smokers ? maybe one group didnt have any ?
some were drinking alcohol some werent ? wich group had more ? heavy drinkers ?
wich group had more obese ?

here's a hint : These associations were confined to participants with at least 1 unhealthy lifestyle factor based on smoking, heavy alcohol intake, overweight or obesity, and physical inactivity, but not evident among those without any of these risk factors.

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
Veganism is the near-present and the future. Almost all high performing athletes are either very close to vegan, transitioning to vegan, or already vegan.

Almost any educated doctor or medical researcher will tell you that meats, dairy, fish, and eggs are all detrimental to one’s health and fitness. Any time you see a movie star get absolutely shredded, stacked, ripped or whatever, they’ll almost always tell you that they did it through vegan nuritrion.

The only ones who are still pro-meat have now become in the minority, and it’s ironically usually the scrawny types with testosterone deficiency who will latch onto whatever trend seems “masculine” in order to supplement their lack thereof...

Anyway, regardless of diet/health, going vegan for ethical reasons is a must, and I’d encourage people to watch the documentary Earthlings. You can probably find it for free on YouTube.

Last edited:
Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
some were smokers some were not, wich group had more smokers ? maybe one group didnt have any ?
some were drinking alcohol some werent ? wich group had more ? heavy drinkers ?
wich group had more obese ?

here's a hint : These associations were confined to participants with at least 1 unhealthy lifestyle factor based on smoking, heavy alcohol intake, overweight or obesity, and physical inactivity, but not evident among those without any of these risk factors.

As a good friend always says: "Nothin's good for ya anymore."

As for myself, I have gained a pound on the scale this week. My body shape is still going in the right direction, so I am not overly concerned (I'm sure it's just another one of those god forsaken plateaus).

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
As a good friend always says: "Nothin's good for ya anymore."

As for myself, I have gained a pound on the scale this week. My body shape is still going in the right direction, so I am not overly concerned (I'm sure it's just another one of those god forsaken plateaus).
that's the only thing that matters IMO.

If you do it while eating meat, fine.
if you do it being a vegan/vegetarian, that's fine too.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It's flawed in the same sense every study in existence is flawed.

It's not a bad study at all. It's a very well done one. Considering the number of participants and the length of it, it's rather impressive what they've done. It's why it managed to get published in the JAMA internal medecine journal, which is a feat in itself.

And, they actually did take into account diet considerations such as the quality of the meat (processed vs unprocessed), quantities, amount of fruit, vegetables, etc (what you were criticizing it for). They controlled for an impressive amount of confounders.

That said, the conclusion of the study IS *drumroll*

There's basically no difference between a vegan lifestyle and a healthy omnivore lifestyle.

So, @DramaticGloveSave , you should have read that study before using it as an argument.
Where does it say that?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Veganism is the near-present and the future. Almost all high performing athletes are either very close to vegan, transitioning to vegan, or already vegan.

Almost any educated doctor or medical researcher will tell you that meats, dairy, fish, and eggs are all detrimental to one’s health and fitness. Any time you see a movie star get absolutely shredded, stacked, ripped or whatever, they’ll almost always tell you that they did it through vegan nuritrion.

The only ones who are still pro-meat have now become in the minority, and it’s ironically usually the scrawny types with testosterone deficiency who will latch onto whatever trend seems “masculine” in order to supplement their lack thereof...

Anyway, regardless of diet/health, going vegan for ethical reasons is a must, and I’d encourage people to watch the documentary Earthlings. You can probably find it for free on YouTube.
It's this pure BS some people invent and thow out that give vegans a bad rep.

Chicken and broccoli, that is the most common meal you hear from all these celebrities who get shredded or big for roles.

Check out the Rock's hercules diet, that scrawny guy...

Vegans are the nutrition version of Fake News. Too bad, as there is a lot of merit to eating more plant based.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

Chicken and broccoli, that is the most common meal you hear from all these celebrities who get shredded or big for roles.

Vegans are the nutrition version of Fake News. Too bad, as there is a lot of merit to eating more plant based.

I'm sure all those steroids didn't hurt The Rock either...

Also don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. The merit doesn't cease to exist no matter what else is said.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

Also don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. The merit doesn't cease to exist no matter what else is said.
if it wasnt for idiots who turn veganism into a cult, I bet more people would be willing to "listen".

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

In the same post you quoted:
Too bad, as there is a lot of merit to eating more plant based.

If it weren't for ridiculous and over the top sensationalist claims of vegans they would be taken more seriously.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
In the same post you quoted:

If it weren't for ridiculous and over the top sensationalist claims of vegans they would be taken more seriously.
That's why I used those words. If something is sensationalized it shouldn't take away from something else that is legit.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
That's why I used those words. If something is sensationalized it shouldn't take away from something else that is legit.
It doesn't. For the most part, everyone agrees people can eat more nutritious plant based food. The disagreements happen over the wild claims.

As for roids and the rock, they wouldn't have much of an effect if his nutrition was crap.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

This is exactly why people hate vegans.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008

Way to go and assume your research is the end of any discussion on the topic, especially while you lay down the condescending post...:help:

Can you get any more preachy?

Reactions: DAChampion

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Well...I Think those results were predictable.
They took obese people, told them to stop eating crap, predictably ended up eating less calories as nutritiously dense food has less calories, and they all lost comparable weight.
I guess, interesting they lost the same amount but not overly surprising.

I always preach a balanced diet anyways as it is most sustainable as it requires the least amount of effort.

Reactions: DAChampion

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017

The Rock takes growth supplements and steroids. Is that the best you got? :facepalm: Let me guess, you're probably like 35, still watch WWE, and probably think it's still real too.

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
Way to go and assume your research is the end of any discussion on the topic, especially while you lay down the condescending post...:help:

Can you get any more preachy?

Research is objective. But I guess you don't do well with research. More of an ignore the facts type of lad?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Research is objective. But I guess you don't do well with research. More of an ignore the facts type of lad?
Why do you put so much efforts in ruining the efforts made by other vegans who are still interested in rational and honest discussions on the matter ?

do you hate vegans that much ?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The Rock takes growth supplements and steroids. Is that the best you got? :facepalm: Let me guess, you're probably like 35, still watch WWE, and probably think it's still real too.
What about Effron? Evans? Pratt? And all the other actors?
You were wrong. Move on, and don't double down on your wrong notion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Free advice: An unearned superior attitude is off-putting in real life. On this site it gets your post deleted or earns a warning. I suggest you reboot and present your information as part of the ongoing debate, not the end of it.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Speaking of roids, anybody ever dabbled in that? Although still taboo and people don't like to speak up about it, was just wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->