OT: Fitness and Nutrition Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Salad diet? Who's talking about a being on salad diet? You were condemning salads in general, as if it was one specific food. That's wrong. "Salad" is as general a term as "Meat". Deli meat has no relation to fresh, lean meat, just like your example of creamy, crappy lettuce has no relation to the nutrient-rich bowls of veggies that are both called "Salads".

Sure, I could also say Burger or poutine... its a broad term, still more likely to be unhealthy than healthy.

I really believe in simplifying things for new comers in healthier lifestyle. Salads are the furthest from that.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
A couple points on the past few pages ...

1) Egg whites are a ridiculous meal item unless you're following a specific recipe like meringue. You should eat the whole egg, as the nutrition in the egg yolk are complementary to the egg white, and together the digestion is slowed down, which is better. Egg yolks contain bioavailable retinol, B12, D3, E, K2, etc.

2) Salads are wonderful in and of themselves as a part of a healthy diet. A "salad diet" might not make sense long-term, but they should ideally be a component of any long-term diet in my opinion, and in the short-term they can work as well.

There are some decent anecdotes of people who have "detoxed" on salad or juice cleanses, which are short-term, and hopefully not 100% spinach. Right now the proposed explanations are undoubtedly bull****, but in the medium terms I expect people to figure out what's actually going on.

There is some debate that I have not fully explored as to why vegetables are seemingly so healthy. A lot of the micronutrients are actually available in meat, fish, and dairy so they should not help that much. I've read some speculation that it's also the additional benefit of nitrates. The idea is that the nitrates, for example in beetroot, are an additional substantial benefit that greatly elevate the actual nutrient value of vegetables, and it's not accounted for in a lot of nutritional models. But I'd have to read up more on that to know if it's valid or not.

Anyhow, here's one recommendation:

Can of chickpeas
2 stalks of leek, chopped.
1 chopped onion
2 chopped garlic cloves
olive oil to taste
cumin to taste
salt to taste
chili flakes to taste

Drop the olive oil in a pan, heat. add onion and garlic, stir. Add leek, stir. Add chickpeas, stir. Keep stirring. Add spices. Profit.

Other vegetables to consider, small pieces of zucchini (same time as the leek), and herbs like parsley to be added at the end.

Seriously?

You don't have to drench it in high-sugar dressing.

Vinegar is actually wonderful, by the way.
Still not a dish id suggest to anyone eating for results.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I do have some knowledge, but clearly not as much as you guys. I don't feel offended, i'm just trying to "get better" by reading stuff here.

EDIT : On a side note, just switched greek yogourt to "fat" yogourt (9%). Damn, that **** is tasty.
How much sugar in there? Protein? 9% is pretty good. Is it Kefir? What is it?

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Low-fat yogurt is nonsense, it's made due to the incorrect 1970s-era pseudoscience that fat is bad for you. High-fat yogurts are actually better for you, as they take longer to absorb and cause a weaker insulin response. In contrast the low-fat yogurt is more likely to stimulate appetite (and thus more eating) a few hours down the line.

Depends when you take it. I eat that as dessert, after a meal so I don't see any reason why it would stimulate the appetite at that point :) Moreover, I think you are not 100% correct, people are eating that also because at the end of the day they have macros goals and this is one way to achieve their fat level. For example, I eat a lots of almonds during the day but this has the downside of increasing my fat intake. So eating lower fat yogurt helps a bit there.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Buy some blackberries and put 3-4 in it, in slices. Also, I buy my whey as vanilla and I often mix it in my plain yogurt.
Mixing whey with anything is sooooo bad :laugh: vomit inducing.

My life is like 25 times better without whey Id say. No more shitty feeling after guzzling one down, etc.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I can only assume salad made Mrb1p's gf fat and now he has her deadlifting and taking steroids. Which is fine, everyone likes a woman with a strong jaw and Barry White voice.

but @philipsson , I'm still not quite sure what your objective is. Are you looking to gain weight/muscle mass or lose fat while maintaining your current mass ?

Who made your plan ? Salad is great, any mix of vegetables is, by what's your objective with it (do you like it ? is it there because someone told you to put it there, etc ) ?

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Mixing whey with anything is sooooo bad :laugh: vomit inducing.

My life is like 25 times better without whey Id say. No more ****ty feeling after guzzling one down, etc.

You told me that the other day :) But really, I don't know why you feel so bad after getting that, my whey is perfectly good !

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I can only assume salad made Mrb1p's gf fat and now he has her deadlifting and taking steroids. Which is fine, everyone likes a woman with a strong jaw and Barry White voice.

but @philipsson , I'm still not quite sure what your objective is. Are you looking to gain weight/muscle mass or lose fat while maintaining your current mass ?

Who made your plan ? Salad is great, any mix of vegetables is, by what's your objective with it (do you like it ? is it there because someone told you to put it there, etc ) ?

My GF is not fat. Shes superdevelopped because she gets a lot of exercise and shes veiny as hell.

philipsson

Jan 12, 2014

My objective is that my body looks better. It already looks good and I have nothing to whine about, but i'd like to do better. I am 6' 175 lbs, 10% fat. I would say the objective is to gain muscle and look better, whether I gain or lose weight (I should "lose" some I guess).

My plan was made by someone working with athlete. He's a dietetist/nutritionnist or whatever, I don't remember. Will look at his business card when I get one back (lost the first one). He should know what he's doing (should he ?)

And I don't like salad that much but sometimes it could be good with other good stuff in it. At the moment, I'm just eating vegetables a lot and I don't like it that much, but it's needed I guess.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
My objective is that my body looks better. It already looks good and I have nothing to whine about, but i'd like to do better. I am 6' 175 lbs, 10% fat. I would say the objective is to gain muscle and look better, whether I gain or lose weight (I should "lose" some I guess).

My plan was made by someone working with athlete. He's a dietetist/nutritionnist or whatever, I don't remember. Will look at his business card when I get one back (lost the first one). He should know what he's doing (should he ?)

And I don't like salad that much but sometimes it could be good with other good stuff in it. At the moment, I'm just eating vegetables a lot and I don't like it that much, but it's needed I guess.
Is that 10% fat official? How did you calculate that? Im skeptical here.

Also, a nutritionist told you to eat muffins?

philipsson

Jan 12, 2014
Is that 10% fat official? How did you calculate that? Im skeptical here.

Also, a nutritionist told you to eat muffins?

Home-made oat muffins, and he had like other choices as well but I remembered that one. As I said, not sure about his exact "title" so he might not be a nutritionist.

For the fat, it's not with the old way (avec les pinces ?!). It's a "balance" and you also hold something and it calculates weight (of course), "IMC", bodyfat, "pourcentage de masse maigre", biological age (who cares) and "indice de gras viscéral". Sorry for the french terms, won't try to translate those.

Why are you skeptical ?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Home-made oat muffins, and he had like other choices as well but I remembered that one. As I said, not sure about his exact "title" so he might not be a nutritionist.

For the fat, it's not with the old way (avec les pinces ?!). It's a "balance" and you also hold something and it calculates weight (of course), "IMC", bodyfat, "pourcentage de masse maigre", biological age (who cares) and "indice de gras viscéral". Sorry for the french terms, won't try to translate those.

Why are you skeptical ?

Its almost impossible to calculate body fat, best options are super costly and requires a slew of scientists

Reactions: philipsson

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Why are you skeptical ?
You are probably using a Tanita type of machine, which aren't precise. You need to weight yourself always at the same time and make sure you have the same amount of water in your body, otherwise it can greatly affect your numbers.
Bf% with calipers are your best bet, but you need to make sure whoever uses them on your knows what he's doing and it can't be your plastic cheap ones.

10% at 6' 175% is very lean. Working with these machines regularly, I would assume you are more around the 15% mark.

Last edited:
Reactions: philipsson

philipsson

Jan 12, 2014
You guys know much more than me so yea I guess. I'll ask him what type/name of machine it is next time.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You guys know much more than me so yea I guess. I'll ask him what type/name of machine it is next time.
It doesn't matter which one it is really. If it's one where you step on and hold handles, takes about 10sec to take your measurements, and boom, it displays it on that little monitor in front, well then it's a Bioelectrical Impedence machine.
Those machines send little electrical currents through water inside your body. The problem with that is fat contains very little water, so the current won't fight to get through it, instead it will focus more on passing through the less resistant areas that contain less fat, so your fat-free mass.
So your numbers won't really indicate how much fat you have. Also, as you can assume at this point, how hydrated you are will affect the measurement greatly.

How to maximize them? Make sure you use them at the exact same time whenever you measure yourself and if possible, eat/dring exactly the same as well. At least that can indicate if there is progress.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrb1p

philipsson

Jan 12, 2014
It doesn't matter which one it is really. If it's one where you step on and hold handles, takes about 10sec to take your measurements, and boom, it displays it on that little monitor in front, well then it's a Bioelectrical Impedence machine.
Those machines send little electrical currents through water inside your body. The problem with that is fat contains very little water, so the current won't fight to get through it, instead it will focus more on passing through the less resistant areas that contain less fat, so your fat-free mass.
So your numbers won't really indicate how much fat you have. Also, as you can assume at this point, how hydrated you are will affect the measurement greatly.

How to maximize them? Make sure you use them at the exact same time whenever you measure yourself and if possible, eat/dring exactly the same as well. At least that can indicate if there is progress.

Oh I see, thanks for the explanation !

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
not that I care much, people can do whatever they want, but...

when talking about their own diet, goals, etc, looks like most vegans in here do it in an attempt to look good.

We've heard of this and that movie, or book, or whatever about health, and animal suffering, and environmental issues.

based on what I've read the last few pages, it was hipocrisy and nothing else.

now, if there are in here who do care about the things mentionned above, would be nice to read from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad