OT: Fitness and Nutrition Part IV - Let's get jacked up Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Good point.

That being said, I don't have a problem using it in everyday lexicon. I think chia for example is a superfood but only insofar as it's really healthy. No need to get hung up on it. Though I do think you've made a good point here in how food companies would love to exploit this.

Get your Honey Nut Chia Cheerios now! It's packed with a superfood!
That is my issue with the "superfood" label. It's just a BS marketing scheme really.
What do you think would happen if you only ate chia seeds? Would you be healthy? You'd end up being quite difficient actually, so how healthy is it really if eating it by itself won't make you all that healthy after all?
Yes, I know, a food considered healthy is one that has a high nutritional value. But really, nothing you eat is good enough on its own, so I think this "superfood" label is just silly marketing.

Also a big misconception out there that healthy and organic shops don't do their own lobbying and aren't driving themselves as businesses. Salt is a perfect example. Himalayan salt costs more and people think it's healthier, reality is the different between that and regular table salt is pretty much non-existent.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
The term is "superfood" not "perfectfood". If the term was "perfectfood" I'd understand your issue, but some foods really are miles more nutritious than others. Calling them super is hardly heresy.

Also, I do believe there were aztec warriors who would live entirely off of chia seeds for months at a time and that they are considered a complete form of nutrition.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Take one of your superfoods, and make a case for it against some other not so "super" food. Obviously has to be a raw ingredient.
Look at the nutrition profile of soybeans vs iceberg lettuce, it's pretty clear, one of those foods is loaded with good protein, fats, and fiber and is a good source of iron, calcium, manganese, zinc, selenium etc etc, while the other is predominantly water. Look at Chia Seeds now. Both these foods are loaded.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Look at the nutrition profile of soybeans vs iceberg lettuce, it's pretty clear, one of those foods is loaded with good protein, fats, and fiber and is a good source of iron, calcium, manganese, zinc, selenium etc etc, while the other is predominantly water. Look at Chia Seeds now. Both these foods are loaded.

Predictable.

In that sense, milk is much better than water, right?

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
Predictable.

In that sense, milk is much better than water, right?
What's your point exactly? The fact that certain foods check more boxes in a nutritional sense leads some people to deem them superfoods. What's so wrong about that?

Sure some people might exploit this moniker from a marketing standpoint but that doesn't change the fact that some foods do in fact bring more to the table (so to speak) than others

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Do you guys get upset about the term "junk food"? I mean, technically speaking unless you're dumpster diving, you're not eating junk.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
What's your point exactly? The fact that certain foods check more boxes in a nutritional sense leads some people to deem them superfoods. What's so wrong about that?

Sure some people might exploit this moniker from a marketing standpoint but that doesn't change the fact that some foods do in fact bring more to the table (so to speak) than others

Wouldnt a lettuce that grants you your daily dose of vitamin A and K for 120 calories be called a superfood?

Every single raw ingredient can serve a purpose. Iceberg lettuce isnt "just water" (and if it was, is it really a bad thing?) Its a huge bundle of food for no calories.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Wouldnt a lettuce that grants you your daily dose of vitamin A and K for 120 calories be called a superfood?

Every single raw ingredient can serve a purpose. Iceberg lettuce isnt "just water" (and if it was, is it really a bad thing?) Its a huge bundle of food for no calories.
Why did you put "just water" in quotation marks? I said predominantly water. And yes, it certainly has it's place, and I love salads and greens are obviously important, but the nutritional profile of soy and chia seeds are next level.

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009

So your main argument is that by labeling certain foods as "super" we automatically neglect all other foods? That's pretty presumptuous

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
So your main argument is that by labeling certain foods as "super" we automatically neglect all other foods? That's pretty presumptuous

My main argument is that Chia and soy arent super food. Chia is basically on the other end of the caloric spectrum compared to lettuce. Its obvious its gonna be loaded with nutrients.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
As seeds go, Chia is in fact among the least dense calorie wise. It's nutritional value goes way beyond just it's calorie content.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I'm dealing with a shoulder issue right now myself. Think I messed it up swimming- something I started doing for cardio and went hard with it, but wasn't ready for. What's most bothersome is that my buddy just had shoulder surgery due to a workout related injury, and seeing him with his arm in a sling while my shoulder is messed up is a little frightening.

It's also causing me sleep issues since I like to sleep on my left side and right now that's impossible.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
Feel good on my lean bulk.

Weighted myself this morning, 187.4 at (close to) 5'8 (I know, manlet life!).

I'm hovering around 13-14% BF & been training close to 8 years now.

Lifts are up, more food, life's great :)

Reactions: Paddyjack

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Feel good on my lean bulk.

Weighted myself this morning, 187.4 at (close to) 5'8 (I know, manlet life!).

I'm hovering around 13-14% BF & been training close to 8 years now.

Lifts are up, more food, life's great :)

Good job bro, we are of the same height but you have 16 pounds on me.... I need to push and press forward still!

Good how the topic of this thread makes people feel good, because all the others certainly make them depressed.

Reactions: Hardworker33

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Good job bro, we are of the same height but you have 16 pounds on me.... I need to push and press forward still!

Good how the topic of this thread makes people feel good, because all the others certainly make them depressed.

I'm rpetty sure you're at a healthy weight ATM. If you're not looking at better performance, theres no point in manipulating your weight IMO.

Also, 5'8 isn't manlet territory, I'm 5'11 and I feel like a giant most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->