OT: Fitness and Nutrition IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Speak for yourselves. At my age, my motivation is fear of dying.

For me too training is only about maintaining myself even if I'm in my 30s. Couldn't care less about becoming a "beast". Useless for my life.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
In all seriousness I wish that I had started online dating in 2005, or something, and gotten more fun times and more experience with women at a younger age. I was a sheltered kid and a big nerd who didn't groom properly and didn't recognize social skills, so I missed out on a lot. Sometimes I'm still playing catch up.

I had a breakup recently that really disappointed me, it's been tough to not text her and to not contact her. Part of me just wants to know how she's doing, but I'm ignoring that, at least for now. The breakup may have been partly due to lack of life experiences on my part, I kind of goofed.

I was able to distract myself this week by visiting a place with a lot of brilliant people. I had some wonderful intellectual interactions. Also some intimidating ones. Some of those people were on another level.

I was also a nerd, and I feel that by going for online dating at age 14 I eventually overcame the usual difficulties nerd have with women. OTOH, you sya yo umissed out, wel lI missed out on nerd stuff too. Some nerds are miles ahead of me at their craft while I was chasing girls, and I had to catch up in other directions.

Hopefully you heal yourself from your breakup. They can be tough. Think long-term. Whatever you do, save your dignity and self-respect.

Reactions: DAChampion

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I was also a nerd, and I feel that by going for online dating at age 14 I eventually overcame the usual difficulties nerd have with women. OTOH, you sya yo umissed out, wel lI missed out on nerd stuff too. Some nerds are miles ahead of me at their craft while I was chasing girls, and I had to catch up in other directions.

Hopefully you heal yourself from your breakup. They can be tough. Think long-term. Whatever you do, save your dignity and self-respect.

A while back, a relative of mine took my nephew to a train store to get him a model train. The nerd working behind the counter was being extremely pedantic and even rude about the trains, what goes with what, etc, as if my relative was not worthy of discussing model trains. My relative mentioned that he had played a lot with model trains when he was younger, but the guy working behind the counter kept being a model train snob. He asked why my relative stopped learning more about trains, and he answered "it was right about the time that I discovered girls."

Which of these two gentlemen do you think lost out on more?

Damn, you did online dating in high school? I have no conception of what that would be like.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Yep...my first online date was via MIRC. How bout them apples.

I agree that its worst today. I got on tinder did a bit but stopped...felt so weird...like, factory dating. Dating out of a magazine.
I guess you can say it was the same before but it was different. It wasnt so easily accessible. Or maybe I just got tired of it.
a/s/l? lol

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Exactly, factory dating ! You nailed it.

True that it's not so clear whether things got worst or we got burned out. Maybe both.

You're right that it wasn't as accessible. There was a "craft" side to it that isn't there anymore.
Definitely. Back then it was taboo and perceived to be for desperate folks or losers. There also was the stigma of how serial killers, rapists and psychos predominantly roamed the online forums..looking for their next victims.
So getting a girl to agree to meet a complete stranger based solely on a couple pictures was way more of a challenge. There was no Facebook, IG, Twitter, where girls can just see more of your profile/life. You also didnt have online messaging. No snapchat.
There actually needed to be some form of genuine interest in each other to meet in person because the girl wasnt risking meeting a complete stranger like that. You would meet in public but nowhere you think youd bump into a friend. God forbid that happened...It wasnt just "Hey what's up! wanna grab some drinks?”...
Little by little it got more popular, more accepted, more mainstream...and here we are today, but got to be too much for me.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
A while back, a relative of mine took my nephew to a train store to get him a model train. The nerd working behind the counter was being extremely pedantic and even rude about the trains, what goes with what, etc, as if my relative was not worthy of discussing model trains. My relative mentioned that he had played a lot with model trains when he was younger, but the guy working behind the counter kept being a model train snob. He asked why my relative stopped learning more about trains, and he answered "it was right about the time that I discovered girls."

Which of these two gentlemen do you think lost out on more?

Damn, you did online dating in high school? I have no conception of what that would be like.

First part: I don't know, man. In this situation sure, the counter guy lost more, but I could write another story and switch who won easily.

Second part: Yes, I did online dating in highschool. This is how I got my first girl that I slept with. I did this even before online dating sites existed (or I wasn't aware of their existence). I'm in my 30s now. Everyone got internet around 1997-2001, which were basically my highschool years give or take, so the whole thing was a new land to conquer and nobody was sure what the hell it was all about.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
First part: I don't know, man. In this situation sure, the counter guy lost more, but I could write another story and switch who won easily.

Second part: Yes, I did online dating in highschool. This is how I got my first girl that I slept with. I did this even before online dating sites existed (or I wasn't aware of their existence). I'm in my 30s now. Everyone got internet around 1997-2001, which were basically my highschool years give or take, so the whole thing was a new land to conquer and nobody was sure what the hell it was all about.

How did you get a girlfriend via the Internet as a 14 year old in the late 1990s?

Did you make a romantic connection by playing chess together on the MSN gaming zone?

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Definitely. Back then it was taboo and perceived to be for desperate folks or losers. There also was the stigma of how serial killers, rapists and psychos predominantly roamed the online forums..looking for their next victims.
So getting a girl to agree to meet a complete stranger based solely on a couple pictures was way more of a challenge. There was no Facebook, IG, Twitter, where girls can just see more of your profile/life. You also didnt have online messaging. No snapchat.
There actually needed to be some form of genuine interest in each other to meet in person because the girl wasnt risking meeting a complete stranger like that. You would meet in public but nowhere you think youd bump into a friend. God forbid that happened...It wasnt just "Hey what's up! wanna grab some drinks?”...
Little by little it got more popular, more accepted, more mainstream...and here we are today, but got to be too much for me.

To be honest—while yes online dating was perceived as more marginal back in the 2000s—I never felt the stigma was that bad. Or maybe it was because I didn't care enough to notice while I was getting way more women than I would ever have gotten if I had to fight my way through the bar scene.

Also, we must remember that there was many mini-eras in the overall pre-Tinder era. No facebook OK, but MSN was there after a while. I would chat and webcam with many women before meeting them, or talk to them on the phone, putting them at more ease to meet me. If you're talking the prehistoric era—like before 2000, it was way more difficult.

About your last sentence: I feel this is true of the internet experience as a whole, not just online dating. I liked the marginality of the internet. Now it's too mainstream, I wouldn't miss it too much if it was gone most of the time.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
To be honest—while yes online dating was perceived as more marginal back in the 2000s—I never felt the stigma was that bad. Or maybe it was because I didn't care enough to notice while I was getting way more women than I would ever have gotten if I had to fight my way through the bar scene.

Also, we must remember that there was many mini-eras in the overall pre-Tinder era. No facebook OK, but MSN was there after a while. I would chat and webcam with many women before meeting them, or talk to them on the phone, putting them at more ease to meet me. If you're talking the prehistoric era—like before 2000, it was way more difficult.

About your last sentence: I feel this is true of the internet experience as a whole, not just online dating. I liked the marginality of the internet. Now it's too mainstream, I wouldn't miss it too much if it was gone most of the time.
Yes msn made it easier...there was ICQ for a bit before too.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
How did you get a girlfriend via the Internet as a 14 year old in the late 1990s?

Did you make a romantic connection by playing chess together on the MSN gaming zone?

I don't remember exactly how my first two dates happened online. It was chat rooms. Maybe Caramail? Could have been another one.

After that online dating websites started to emerge along with MSN Messenger and so on and we were out of the stone age.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I don't remember exactly how my first two dates happened online. It was chat rooms. Maybe Caramail? Could have been another one.

After that online dating websites started to emerge along with MSN Messenger and so on and we were out of the stone age.
I remember sending actual letters to a girl...Completely forgot how we connected. I dont remember if we met once and then kept in contact or we sent letters to one another before meeting...and I'm still not sure if we met. I know my buddy was involved, she was the friend of his long distance gf he had met one summer in Croatia I think...
Remember receiving those letters she'd send...stoked in her perfume...loll
Sad today's and future generations will never know what that is.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Sorry guys if I hijacked the thread. Nostalgia is strong and I'm a bit of an historian so I always enjoy looking back on past eras regardless of the topic.

We can move on to fitness. Though arguably this is related to fitness.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Dont think I'd follow this structure. What's the rep scheme? Not sure you'd recover from that monday with 4 major compound lifts.

What's your objective with this?

My goal is hypertrophy. Right now I'm doing a 3x per week full body program. Given that my goal is hypertrophy, volume will have to progress, which is why I am interested in splitting things up from full body to either UL or PPL.

I would like to prioritise chest and upper back, which is kind of why UL isn't just the obvious solution to me. If they're both on the same day, one has to come first, and that gets the most intensity/focus whether I like it or not. With the PPL program that I proposed, both get their own day.

Right now I get 12 sets of volume total for my upper back and chest per week. 1 exercise each per workout day, 4 sets of 6-8, when I can do 4x8 sets across, the weight jumps. By the end of my PPL program I would like the volume to progress to close to double that by the end of the mesocycle (which will last 4 weeks each). After that, take a week deload, and rinse and repeat until it's time to cut again.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
My goal is hypertrophy. Right now I'm doing a 3x per week full body program. Given that my goal is hypertrophy, volume will have to progress, which is why I am interested in splitting things up from full body to either UL or PPL.
How long you've been doing your full body prog? There is a big misconception out there that you need to change routines often otherwise your body adapts. That's not necessarily true. You can get some serious gains doing the same thing for a year with minor tweaks. Just need to play with sets, reps, tempos, supersets, dropsets, compound sets, etc. No need to change everything. Now if it's due to boredom, well that's different.

I would like to prioritise chest and upper back, which is kind of why UL isn't just the obvious solution to me. If they're both on the same day, one has to come first, and that gets the most intensity/focus whether I like it or not. With the PPL program that I proposed, both get their own day.

Right now I get 12 sets of volume total for my upper back and chest per week. 1 exercise each per workout day, 4 sets of 6-8, when I can do 4x8 sets across, the weight jumps. By the end of my PPL program I would like the volume to progress to close to double that by the end of the mesocycle (which will last 4 weeks each). After that, take a week deload, and rinse and repeat until it's time to cut again.

I get wanting to prioritize but..doubling the volume? and essentially doing back work every day in your presented program. Seems like overkill to me. One day chest-horizontal pull, another shoulder/upper chest-vertical pull, one day arms, one day legs...is what I'd go for.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
In all seriousness I wish that I had started online dating in 2005, or something, and gotten more fun times and more experience with women at a younger age. I was a sheltered kid and a big nerd who didn't groom properly and didn't recognize social skills, so I missed out on a lot. Sometimes I'm still playing catch up.

I had a breakup recently that really disappointed me, it's been tough to not text her and to not contact her. Part of me just wants to know how she's doing, but I'm ignoring that, at least for now. The breakup may have been partly due to lack of life experiences on my part, I kind of goofed.

I was able to distract myself this week by visiting a place with a lot of brilliant people. I had some wonderful intellectual interactions. Also some intimidating ones. Some of those people were on another level.
Stick it out mate, just gotta get through that tunnel, you'll be happy soon enough.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
How long you've been doing your full body prog? There is a big misconception out there that you need to change routines often otherwise your body adapts. That's not necessarily true. You can get some serious gains doing the same thing for a year with minor tweaks. Just need to play with sets, reps, tempos, supersets, dropsets, compound sets, etc. No need to change everything. Now if it's due to boredom, well that's different.

Undoubtedly, and if it were my goal to just get as strong as possible, my workouts would remain full body. I'd just go right back to Sheiko. But my goal right now is hypertrophy, which means my volume needs to progress. Right now I spend just over an hour in the gym doing one exercise per body part. Especially doing a squat, or a deadlift every session, and trying to increase volume, this will lead to excessively long sessions where the quality of the work at the end of the session will suffer. So I'm splitting things up.

Of course, Sheiko sessions can be long as well, but you're not trying to exhaust the muscles and create as much damage as possible, as you would in a bodybuilding setting. So it plays out differently.

I get wanting to prioritize but..doubling the volume? and essentially doing back work every day in your presented program. Seems like overkill to me. One day chest-horizontal pull, another shoulder/upper chest-vertical pull, one day arms, one day legs...is what I'd go for.

To be clear, the volume would progress to the final week, in which the total volume for chest and back would be over 20 sets each. But then I'd deload. My plan wouldn't be to do 20+ sets of volume for 4 weeks straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad