OT: Fitness and Nutrition IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Rediscussing,
Diabetics who are three meals a day lost substantially more weight than diabetics who are six meals a day consuming the same number of calories.
Reduction in Glycated Hemoglobin and Daily Insulin Dose Alongside Circadian Clock Upregulation in Patients With Type 2 Diabetes Consuming a Three-Meal Diet: A Randomized Clinical Trial

@Andrei79 I'd like to know what you think. This seems like an exceptionally strong study.

The difference between 3 meals a day with more carbs at breakfast versus six meals a day, with the total calories being fixed, worked out to a difference in metabolism of 500 calories a day. (As in 12 lbs of weight loss over 12 weeks, but cut that if some of that was water).

They did an above average job of tracking compliance, which included continuous glucose monitoring. The doctors who evaluated them didn't know which group they were assigned to.

There is a caveat though -- the group that was eating fewer but larger meals was being prescribed less insulin by their doctors. That might explain their extra metabolism. On the other hand, the other group lost no weight on a 1,500 calorie/day diet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrei79

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I never went but I know a bunch of people whove been, my GF has gone a few years ago, my GFs parents went twice back in the 80s and I have one Aussie friend (Well, two if I count his GF.) My impression is that the city is basically living in NA but the outback is very different. Its surfers paradise so as a guy that loves surfing, Id go live there for sure.

What are the +/- ? Is your family coming with you ? Less hours ? Pay grade is similar ? I have next to no ties as I don't speak much to my family and I have like 5 friends that I see one a year so its probably a no-brainer for me, but it might not be for you.

If you want my opinion, its basically **** it and go, but I know its not that easy.

I'd bring the wife and kid (and who knows, there might be a second eventually), she really loves the idea. We have a pretty significant network of friends and family here, but I'd have the means to come back once every three months and even do replacement work when I'm back. I dont even have to go for that year, its just an extra perk of the job offer that I feel is a once in a lifetime chance. And thats the thing, it's a very strong offer professionally. The work would be meaningful. The pay grade I can't say is an issue either way. Theres even the possibility of having a small media presence as it happens often in that position, Ive known people talk the news, be called upon as consultants for movies, shows, etc... My main fear is the personal cost i.e. if I'll have to maintain these long work hours and for how long.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Rediscussing,
Diabetics who are three meals a day lost substantially more weight than diabetics who are six meals a day consuming the same number of calories.
Reduction in Glycated Hemoglobin and Daily Insulin Dose Alongside Circadian Clock Upregulation in Patients With Type 2 Diabetes Consuming a Three-Meal Diet: A Randomized Clinical Trial

@Andrei79 I'd like to know what you think. This seems like an exceptionally strong study.

The difference between 3 meals a day with more carbs at breakfast versus six meals a day, with the total calories being fixed, worked out to a difference in metabolism of 500 calories a day. (As in 12 lbs of weight loss over 12 weeks, but cut that if some of that was water).

They did an above average job of tracking compliance, which included continuous glucose monitoring. The doctors who evaluated them didn't know which group they were assigned to.

There is a caveat though -- the group that was eating fewer but larger meals was being prescribed less insulin by their doctors. That might explain their extra metabolism. On the other hand, the other group lost no weight on a 1,500 calorie/day diet.

Ill see if I have time this week end and Ill check it out. Thanks for the cue.

Reactions: DAChampion

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'd bring the wife and kid (and who knows, there might be a second eventually), she really loves the idea. We have a pretty significant network of friends and family here, but I'd have the means to come back once every three months and even do replacement work when I'm back. I dont even have to go for that year, its just an extra perk of the job offer that I feel is a once in a lifetime chance. And thats the thing, it's a very strong offer professionally. The work would be meaningful. The pay grade I can't say is an issue either way. Theres even the possibility of having a small media presence as it happens often in that position, Ive known people talk the news, be called upon as consultants for movies, shows, etc... My main fear is the personal cost i.e. if I'll have to maintain these long work hours and for how long.

Go for it, man! Its most a crazy nice opportunity something to live before your kid is too old.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
No idea yet. How did you enjoy it?

I lived in Canberra, also visited Melbourne, Sydney, Hobart, Barossa valley, and saw Palm Cove, Queensland. I would seriously consider going back if I could. The food is great, there are tons of travel opportunities, the culture seems less bullshitty (though there's more performative masculinity sometimes), people are into sports, and there's a better work life balance.

As an example, if you didn't take your annual vacation where I worked in Oz there was a risk that HR would come lock you out of your office. Pensions, vacation days, etc are very important there. People aren't ashamed to take "sickies" either.

I never saw a single person drink Foster's in my four years there. Overall, I'd evaluate the food as superior relative to most of north America, which applied to both western food and ethnic food, actually, the offset is greater for western food.

Reactions: Mrb1p and Andrei79

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I lived in Canberra, also visited Melbourne, Sydney, Hobart, Barossa valley, and saw Palm Cove, Queensland. I would seriously consider going back if I could. The food is great, there are tons of travel opportunities, the culture seems less bull****ty (though there's more performative masculinity sometimes), people are into sports, and there's a better work life balance.

As an example, if you didn't take your annual vacation where I worked in Oz there was a risk that HR would come lock you out of your office. Pensions, vacation days, etc are very important there. People aren't ashamed to take "sickies" either.

I never saw a single person drink Foster's in my four years there. Overall, I'd evaluate the food as superior relative to most of north America, which applied to both western food and ethnic food, actually, the offset is greater for western food.
Come to think of it, I also knew a chef that lived there for two years and he had nothing but good words for the food back there, youre right on that one.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Come to think of it, I also knew a chef that lived there for two years and he had nothing but good words for the food back there, youre right on that one.

The cake that I benevolently suggested to you earlier as a way to get carbs was actually by Flute's bakery in Canberra. It's the best bakery that I've ever been to outside of Europe.

I spoke to an (American) chef about kangaroo meat recently. He said that he knows how to cook it, because back in the early 1990s (or 2000s?) people were really into "lean meats". I then asked him if he added a lot of butter and olive oil. He said "yeah, of course".

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The cake that I benevolently suggested to you earlier as a way to get carbs was actually by Flute's bakery in Canberra. It's the best bakery that I've ever been to outside of Europe.

I spoke to an (American) chef about kangaroo meat recently. He said that he knows how to cook it, because back in the early 1990s (or 2000s?) people were really into "lean meats". I then asked him if he added a lot of butter and olive oil. He said "yeah, of course".
Good ol' sneaky tricks. I worked as a chef at one of the well-known fitness centered meal prep company and one of the item that was on the menu was coconut shrimp, coated twice in gluten free flour.

Soooo healthy :laugh:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Have you ever lived abroad? I mean, far, somewhere completely different than home?
I would say everybody should experience it at least once in their lives.

If you have the opportunity to live there, take your family and also have the luxury to come back home every 3 months, theres really nothing to think about. Do it.

I'm set to move to Jeddah at the end of the month. Never was a place I wanted to go to but the opportunity I got is just awesome, given the social and political climate in HK, decided to move there.
However a company from Sydney reached out to me and they're interested in getting me on board, so might have to reconsider things...No doubt I'd much rather head to Sydney. Waiting on more details.

But for you, if you dont have anything serious holding you back (care for elderly relatives, etc)...then go for it.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
The Game Changers just dropped on Netflix. Pretty good doc that debunks the myth about the necessity of animal foods for optimum athletic performance.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
f***ing Baboumian claims so many BS. He has world records in the LHW class and most of his numbers are a joke. If hes one of the strongest person on the planet, Im right there with him and sadly im not even close to that level.

Its also full of sensationalist bs.

Imagine being convinced by an archeology research made on gladiators. 2500 years ago.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
****ing Baboumian claims so many BS. He has world records in the LHW class and most of his numbers are a joke. If hes one of the strongest person on the planet, Im right there with him and sadly im not even close to that level.

Its also full of sensationalist bs.

Imagine being convinced by an archeology research made on gladiators. 2500 years ago.
I love how this is the focus of the haters despite being nothing more than a minor 20 second anecdote in the actual film lol

Also you aint close to Baboumian, give it a rest. Flipping cars over, 80Kg single arm shoulder presses, world record yoke walk... these are things you'll never come close to.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I love how this is the focus of the haters despite being nothing more than a minor 20 second anecdote in the actual film lol

Also you aint close to Baboumian, give it a rest. Flipping cars over, 80Kg single arm shoulder presses, world record yoke walk... these are things you'll never come close to.
Neither is BabouBSer.

The world recors for a yoke walk is 700 kg+... he did 500kg....

The movie is so sensationalist that I want to change diets right away.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Neither is BabouBSer.

The guy has world records sanctioned by guinness, wtf are you talking about with BSing? Let me guess, that ill informed Oberst interview on Joe Rogan?

In regards to that interview, Joe Rogan googles and finds some other vegan who DL'd 600lbs and they start talking about how that is a terrible DL for a strong man, and not world class. Well Baboumians actual best official DL is 800lbs for a triple- which is in fact more than Oberst best official DL triple. That whole exchange was just classically Pejorative Slured, even for Joe Rogan.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The guy has world records sanctioned by guinness, wtf are you talking about with BSing? Let me guess, that ill informed Oberst interview on Joe Rogan?

In regards to that interview, Joe Rogan googles and finds some other vegan who DL'd 600lbs and they start talking about how that is a terrible DL for a strong man, and not world class. Well Baboumians actual best official DL is 800lbs for a triple- which is in fact more than Oberst best official DL triple. That whole exchange was just classically ******ed, even for Joe Rogan.

The world record for yoke is 700 kilos, manipulating dumb numbers to call yourself a record holder is actual BS. It makes you look bad, and it makes that documentary look bad to link itselfs to that hack.

Oberst has his flaws and is a pretty bad strongman, yet he still wrecks Baboumian in everything.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Neither is BabouBSer.

I mean...dude..its still 500kg. The man is strong.
But I think this is pointless anyways. Some people can be strong with little meat..some vegans are strong..assuming they know how to eat...just like some guys respond better to certain training parameters.

What's annoying is the anti-meat/animal food lobby. Just f*** off already.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The Game Changers just dropped on Netflix. Pretty good doc that debunks the myth about the necessity of animal foods for optimum athletic performance.
I have not seen the flick yet but I'll go out on a limb and bet it's highly anecdotal and sensationalized.

EDIT 1: just started it and literally opening screen says “the statements expressed in this film are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice”.
Lol...that didn't take long.

EDIT 2: I'm around 30 minutes in...I wish they weren't so sensationalistic. Some of the things they present...“1mg of heme iron increases CHD by 27%..in perspective, one burger has 3mg”...oh wow..man, I should have had about 6 heart attacks by now..guess I'm lucky?
CM hate 2 steaks and then some...he lost to plant based Diaz...whomp whomp...must be the animal products and now how he stuffed himself like a moron. But then...he went on to beat Diaz in a rematch while still eating animal products but just eating better, why did they leave that out???....so much for being objective.
The firefighters...I mean jesus...one looks 300lbs, of course his numbers will improve if he eats lentils, greens and fruits. Another one says after their 7 day challenge how he doesnt feel like he needs to lie down and nap after his meals, well that has nothing to do with eating animal products, its glucose/insulin...it ain't called “carb crash” as a coincidence...Again....so much for objectivity.

The plant-based pushers would be better served if they just focused on the positives instead of always spinning this into a demonizing of animal products.
You want to show how you can be strong, very strong, while on plant base...then just do that. Stop dumping on the animal products.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I mean...dude..its still 500kg. The man is strong.
But I think this is pointless anyways. Some people can be strong with little meat..some vegans are strong..assuming they know how to eat...just like some guys respond better to certain training parameters.

What's annoying is the anti-meat/animal food lobby. Just **** off already.
He is. Hes actually a really strong presser.

But the lying to promote veganism.. like stfu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad