OT: Fit 4 Less

Marty Straka

HFBoards Senior Citizen
Aug 11, 2009
Toronto, ON
So.... Im going through with a total 360 lifestyle change after experiencing these kidney stones... cause I never want to again lol and I need to get more healthy and active. So Im considering starting going to the gym again... Now I dont want to spend a metric ton of money on crazy gym memberships or commit myself to yearly deals... I want to be flexible and not have to pay much which is why I fell upon Fit4Less which is not too far from my place. I was wondering if anyone here goes there? or has checked it out? Thought it was a pretty solid deal for 20$/month with no commitments required?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
The best gym I ever was a member at was this little hole-in-the-wall gym on Merivale, south of Hunt Club. It was on the second floor of a little building, above a pool store, I think. Pretty sure it's been gone a long, long time at this point... Best thing about it was the atmosphere: just a bunch of regular dudes, trying to keep themselves in decent shape, without the intimidation factor of the 'roid monkeys and 7-day-a-week gym bums who spend more time sitting on the machines and looking at themselves in the mirror than actually working out.

So yeah: best piece of advice I can give you is find a gym that suites YOU. Honestly, a treadmill at Greco or Goodlife is going to serve the same function as a treadmill at some other random small gym. The equipment is the same everywhere, pick a gym that you'll want to go to.

In closing...

Find one of these:
Dodge_Ball_Average_Joes_Gymnasium-T-link.jpg

And not one of these:
Dodgeball_Globo_Gym_Better_Than_You_Gray_Shrit.jpg

PKC*

If you want something even better, forgo the gym concept completely and make an initial investment in to buying super-resistance bands, a set of orange cones, a set of dumbbells, a chinup bar and a Swiss ball. You can also buy something like a parachute runner.

Just with those things alone, roughly an investment of about $400 (but you obviously get to keep everything) you can take your workouts to a different level.

One example: go to a soccer field, bring the cones, parachute, resistance bands and two sets of dumbbells. If you buy a super long resistance band you can tie it around one of the goalposts, set up some cones at 10, 20 and 30 feet and do wind sprints touching each cone (for added emphasis bring 3 tennis balls and place a tennis ball on top of each cone when you run to it). Do that exercise 6 to 8 times.

Then do a parachute sprint of the field in both directions.

Then using the dumbbells, do two sets of push ups (T-pushups, etc.).

You won't even need a gym. You'll be outside and you'll get a great workout.

When the winter comes around, do pushups, chinups, situps, dumbbell exercises and take up outdoor running.

Marty Straka

HFBoards Senior Citizen
Aug 11, 2009
Toronto, ON
If you want something even better, forgo the gym concept completely and make an initial investment in to buying super-resistance bands, a set of orange cones, a set of dumbbells, a chinup bar and a Swiss ball. You can also buy something like a parachute runner.

Just with those things alone, roughly an investment of about $400 (but you obviously get to keep everything) you can take your workouts to a different level.

One example: go to a soccer field, bring the cones, parachute, resistance bands and two sets of dumbbells. If you buy a super long resistance band you can tie it around one of the goalposts, set up some cones at 10, 20 and 30 feet and do wind sprints touching each cone (for added emphasis bring 3 tennis balls and place a tennis ball on top of each cone when you run to it). Do that exercise 6 to 8 times.

Then do a parachute sprint of the field in both directions.

Then using the dumbbells, do two sets of push ups (T-pushups, etc.).

You won't even need a gym. You'll be outside and you'll get a great workout.

When the winter comes around, do pushups, chinups, situps, dumbbell exercises and take up outdoor running.

Intriguing.... I'll have to add this to the list.. My sister just sent me her 13-week Run/Walk Program I'm about to test out.

Sounds like the off-ice training a hockey player would do... or a soccer player. Are you one by any chance?

Mr_Squeaks

Poor Impulse Control
Jul 2, 2006
Ottawa
Intriguing.... I'll have to add this to the list.. My sister just sent me her 13-week Run/Walk Program I'm about to test out.

If you feel you have the willpower to "home-train" as he suggests, it's a great option. Do some research into techniques so you're getting the most out of it (or at least meeting your goals). I have yet to see a gym membership that is cheaper than the equipment you need from it, at least from a "common dude" perspective. And I think your recent episode should provide you with a lot of incentive to stick with the routines...

Good luck!

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Working out is freaking awesome. I did manage to get a personal trainer (very expensive but was well worth it) but my own recommendation would be yoga.
Yoga has been just as much of a life changer as working out: combining the two is absolutely incredible. Yoga can be a bit pricey (16 bucks a session) but after a few sessions you can just stop them and do it at home. I very highly recommend you look into it if you're even just curious about it.
Also I hate running (Ihave really bad kness) so I suggest biking for some cardio.

Last edited:

duey88

Jul 2, 2011
ottawa
hey dude, I go to TAC (The Athletic Club) in Orleans. It's a little pricey compared to other gyms but man is it worth it. Whenever I go, I usually have the weight room to myself. When you walk up to the place you'll see that the parking lot is full all day everyday but because it's such a big place, it seems like theres hardly anyone there. Also, you have to wear a t-shirt. which is something i really like about the place because it takes away alot of the "meat head" feel to the gym. Free classes on everything except you just have to show up a little bit early to make sure you get in. salt-water pool, towel service, steamroom, sauna, basketball court, tonnes of punching bags, lots of cardio machines with freakin tv's built in, always lots of resistance training machines, they have these never-ending latters ( awesome ) . They offer tours of the place too so you should check it out atleast.

ShotDownCrosby

Sep 29, 2009
Ontario
The fit4less'es in my area are really nothing more than a small home gym. But I've never seen one in Ottawa. So what the heck to I know.

I need to also get back into shape. I wish I could eat what I wanted, just play sports (but nothing crazy) and lose weight. That would be stellar.

DukeNukem

Jul 17, 2011
Really watch what you eat. Nothing processed at all. Hit the veggies and fruits heavy, if you like meat, cook it yourself and make sure it's whole, no hamburger or hotdogs. If you can deal with it, eat beans and tofu and fish. Only shop on the outside aisle of the grocery store. Nothing premade or processed. 70% of what we buy in our grocery store are genetically modified, our meats are loaded with preservatives and hormones. We are eating stuff that our bodies cannot process so it turns it to fat and deposits the minerals in the kidneys, and we know what that leads too.

PKC*

Sounds like the off-ice training a hockey player would do... or a soccer player. Are you one by any chance?

I played a very high level of soccer, but now I play everything... I'll go to the tennis courts, basketball courts, golfing, swimming, ball hockey, outdoor hockey, touch football, baseball/softball, squash, etc. Anything that gets your shirt drenched while doing it is something you need to be doing more of.

DukeNukem

Jul 17, 2011
Only someone who thinks working out is all about bench pressing mini coopers and donkeys thinks there's no use to a Swiss ball. I'd love to see you balance on top of one while throwing tennis balls at a wall in front of you and catching them...then come and tell me if it's a "garbage fad" or not.[/QUOTE]

That's funny:laugh:

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
For outdoor exercising, I think there are a few places around the city, but the only one I know for sure is at Mooney's Bay. It looks kind of like a small play structure, but it is actually an exercise area. Also, if you're into doing some solid running, some trips up and down the hill will really get the heart rate up.

For me, keeping the workouts different really help, and not being tied to a gym is the best way to keep your routines fresh.

itscameron

Jul 11, 2010
St. Catharines, ON
Really watch what you eat. Nothing processed at all. Hit the veggies and fruits heavy, if you like meat, cook it yourself and make sure it's whole, no hamburger or hotdogs. If you can deal with it, eat beans and tofu and fish. Only shop on the outside aisle of the grocery store. Nothing premade or processed. 70% of what we buy in our grocery store are genetically modified, our meats are loaded with preservatives and hormones. We are eating stuff that our bodies cannot process so it turns it to fat and deposits the minerals in the kidneys, and we know what that leads too.

This. Well said. A year ago, I promised myself to be educated and efficient in what I was putting into my body after learning about the unbelievable amount of crap we eat and how it can really damage our health. Ever since then, I've felt better, looked better, and have been way more productive in every aspect of my life. Organic foods and such can be expensive, but they are sure as hell worth it.

ShotDownCrosby

Sep 29, 2009
Ontario
I agree with whoever said to switch things up.

I get bored super easily. So I play sports, run, bike, swim, ect. Its the only way I can actually stay fit. Even simply switching up what I do during each activity is good for me.

As for eating, I do get that its great to eat healthy and what not. But honestly, the extra 10 pounds I lose from restricting things, isn't worth it to me. Not to say I eat unhealthy all the time (I get my fruit/veggies/meats from the market and home make mostly everything), but I'm not giving up wings and beer.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Need no gym at all my friend. You can get fit at the comfort of your own home.

There are apps that are like personal trainers that allow you to make the required amount of Pushups/Situps/Squats/Pullups needed per day to reach a goal of 50/100/150+

It also comes with a timer for how much you need to rest.

I started off doing 13 pushups until I got tired, now I can do 50 easy(In a row), 150 sit-ups etc...
Never been more fit before in my life and all this took....1 MONTH that's it. I seen huge improvement in muscle mass as well.

I thought I'd lose interest in these apps but when they give you a certain amount of sets to do it makes it so much easier to follow and actually do it every day because you know you're just gonna keep improving until you reach maximum.

ShotDownCrosby

Sep 29, 2009
Ontario
^^ I've got an app for running/biking, and its kinda cool. Basically does intervals, and changes how long and how fast I run.

I also thought I'd get sick of it, but I haven't yet. Maybe one day.

JustinYS

Oct 21, 2010
This is probably not what you're looking for but you could get started on the Nike SPARQ off-ice program but that's more for athlete performance. The program itself is free (youtube) but the equipment is not.

Il be doing it next summer since this one is basically over.

Caseus

squirrelly wrath
Mar 9, 2004
Ottawa
If you have the willpower to do so, I would recommend working out at home. It's amazing what you can do with dumbbells and resistance bands.

Don't mock me (well okay, go ahead and mock me) but I started the summer by trying my wife's exercise dvd called "Jillian Michael's 30-day shred". It's a High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) program. It kicked my ass. HIIT routines go from exercise to exercise with no break. Michaels' system is 3 minutes strength training, 2 minutes cardio (jumping jacks, jogging on the spot, etc.) and 1 minute of abs per set, with 3 sets. In just a few days your stamina goes up significantly.

If you want to bulk up, go to the gym. If you want to get fit and lose weight, try something like a HIIT program.

I don't do it anymore; the bouncing is too hard on my knees. But with dumbbell routines and regular walking (5k in the morning, 5k at night, though not during this stupid heat wave) I'm getting back into shape.

Some notes on gyms: the biggest advantage is variety. Some of those machines are just amazingly fun. It's easier to target certain muscle groups with cable systems. I dislike some of them because you can cheat: with the bench press machines, for instance.

Best of luck!

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I agree with home working out. You don't need expensive equipment either.

You can do p90x, or even a video game life EA active or wii fit. Lost of people laugh at those but they can work if you commit to it.

smithy

May 31, 2011
New York
Also, if you can, consider biking to work/school (weather permitting, of course). Decent way to get some cardio in every day, surprisingly fun, and zero-emissions travel. Not the same as a full workout routine obviously but every bit helps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->