OT: Fishing (and other outdoors pursuits) this Off-Season?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
upload_2021-3-6_11-49-35.jpeg

This is my bro’s homemade drinking barge, i mean fishing barge. Yeah that’s me so you can all put a face to me. 56 year old busted ole ba$tard ha

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Jeez that's like Musky size nearly.
481/2” he got it after dark too. I don’t know the weight because the digital scale decided to go wonky and wanted to get it back in quick. I guessed around 30lbs. :)
My biggest was 18 & change so he kicked my butt

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
That so reminds me of the photos you can find online in the category, You know you are a redneck when.... LOL

Cool pic though. lol
A bunch of food grade barrels fastened together in a hand built cradle and deck/ rails fastened. Couple of waterproof fabric chesterfields and chairs. He does Upholstery for living. All the canvas beer can holder bags are painted by local artists, backs of chairs and chesterfields done by local artists also. Really cool rig and there is a dance floor. Lol we jam some blues and drift around ha. We need a bathroom to stay away from getting tickets for open beer and we are tickety boo :)
Hey check out our baby grand too lol
recliner toilet. | Furniture, Toilet chair, Home problem solved haha

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Just though this baby needed a bump. Anyone have any trips planned and stuff. I’m thinking Tobin lake Saskatchewan is in order very shortly.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
I am a casual fisher at best - haven't even gone fishing in a couple years, and I live 2 blocks from the Detroit River (east side of Windsor, not near industrial Detroit) and great fishing. Can easily catch perch, pickerel, small and large mouth bass, among others, and that's just casting from shore. I've seen people pull up northern pike, and muskie even. Did you all know that the Detroit River is also know for it's Lake Sturgeon?!......

Check out this big girl recently caught in the Detroit River..... 6'10", 240 lbs!!!!
240 Pound Fish Caught In The Detroit River

I don't think Sturgeon are present in my area of the river, as I am really close to Lake St. Clair, but are more likely further downriver towards the area of the industrial are in the west end and towards Lake Erie.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
If you're talking about how they taste, I'll have to disagree with you there.
I'd rank them
1) Perch/Walleye
2) Whitefish
3) Salmon/Steelhead
4) Burbot
5) Crappie
6) Lake Trout

I am not much of a fish person, but fresh caught perch/pickerel(walleye I always assoc with as the American term for pickerel) from Lake Erie or Detroit River (yes...it's fine now) is so readily available here and it's fantastic. I really have to try Crappie one of these days.

Salmon - had a bad experience with a salmon h'orderve (it was a paste on a cracker), and have never even looked at it again!

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I am a casual fisher at best - haven't even gone fishing in a couple years, and I live 2 blocks from the Detroit River (east side of Windsor, not near industrial Detroit) and great fishing. Can easily catch perch, pickerel, small and large mouth bass, among others, and that's just casting from shore. I've seen people pull up northern pike, and muskie even. Did you all know that the Detroit River is also know for it's Lake Sturgeon?!......

Check out this big girl recently caught in the Detroit River..... 6'10", 240 lbs!!!!
240 Pound Fish Caught In The Detroit River

I don't think Sturgeon are present in my area of the river, as I am really close to Lake St. Clair, but are more likely further downriver towards the area of the industrial are in the west end and towards Lake Erie.
Haha cool they need a bigger live well. You’ll have to get out and get back at it bro. Perch are delicious and I’m definitely going for them more this year.

Reactions: Cams

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I am not much of a fish person, but fresh caught perch/pickerel(walleye I always assoc with as the American term for pickerel) from Lake Erie or Detroit River (yes...it's fine now) is so readily available here and it's fantastic. I really have to try Crappie one of these days.

Salmon - had a bad experience with a salmon h'orderve (it was a paste on a cracker), and have never even looked at it again!
Nooo on Salmon paste for me too :)
That rapala catches pickerel don’t get the three hook one,it’s to big. This one is 4” long.

Attachments

• F3A80979-A81B-4A7D-B65B-ACB72F88BF18.jpeg
    F3A80979-A81B-4A7D-B65B-ACB72F88BF18.jpeg
    461.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Bass season here right now. No time to get out as finishing up renos. Sucks because the river is literally like 50 meters from my window.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Bass season here right now. No time to get out as finishing up renos. Sucks because the river is literally like 50 meters from my window.
I can’t wait for bass season. Pulling boat out this weekend. Takes a full two days to rig it and wax the damn thing. Hopefully covid rules can relax and be able to fish tournaments again. It was tough last season with everything. Heck even the fish were practicing social distancing. Lol.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I'll tell a true 'outdoors' story about someone who'll I'll call 'Useless'. Useless was a drunk and a loser.
Well he inherited his father's boat, motor, guns, massive tackle box, etc.
Useless decided to go hunting for duck. We're from up northern Ontario and the lake he was on was fairly big. With their boat to go from one end to the other and back would take a complete day. Anyways with such a long voyage to their hunting spot, Useless and his friend decide to do two things. Fish and drink. They were successful at both, having got quite hammered and landed a very big pike. Quietly they got to their marsh, were getting their shotguns ready when BANG BANG BANG, the pike had sprung to life. Before they could get a shot off, the ducks were gone. Useless was pissed, so... he shot the fish. The fish in the bottom of the boat...

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Haha cool they need a bigger live well. You’ll have to get out and get back at it bro. Perch are delicious and I’m definitely going for them more this year.

I don't have, or have access to a boat, but the city park at the end of my street has platform which is a popular fishing spot. Depending the day/conditions, I could go down there with worms and a spreader and pull up a couple perch at a time. The 3 lb smallmouth I caught with a tube lure (you slide them on of those hooks that have a cylindrical weight), and just pull up a chair and cast.

Detroit River has such a strong current, and you can't get too far or deep from shore. You generally need a pretty heavy weight. Have to be careful in a boat too as you can't cross the border line, plus there can be lots of big ships around too.

Last edited:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Just though this baby needed a bump. Anyone have any trips planned and stuff. I’m thinking Tobin lake Saskatchewan is in order very shortly.

Mostly stay around home, day trips, from where I live I can hit any ATV/SXS trail in NB. I can walk from my house to a river to fish trout, easily most are a foot long. Not a fan of Trout though so I don't fish there much. I'm a big fan of Salmon, I can be in Miramichi in 2hrs. One of the best spots on the East cost of North America to fish those giants.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
One of my car club pals just lost his fishing partner to marriage and is after me to go on his annual Muskie trip to Black River , he caught one that was featured in the Muskie Magazine two falls ago .I stopped fishing years ago because I don't eat much fish I but who eats muskie anyway ? so Covid permitting I'll be heading there this fall I guess .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad