OT: Fishing (and other outdoors pursuits) this Off-Season?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
My daughter caught her first walleye last night and im immensely proud.

Walleye in our area are a challenge, particularly when they hit their summer patterns and go off shore. She managed a beautiful 15" all on her own (shes 8).

I also boated a 16" walleye, and we boated a half dozen decent smallmouth. My wife lost a pig of a smallmouth that bent the hook of the small jig and shook off (cheap kit that came with my daughters kids tackle box).

Great evening out considering I went out with little expectation.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I have a question I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with.

Wife wants her restricted firearm liscence, already has her unrestricted, but we've heard in order to get the ATT you need to go through a gun club, our local club has fees and a battery of tests to even join, which you need to do to obtain the ATT (this is just what I've heard though). She has no interest in range shooting or joining the gun club though, she just wants to shoot on family land up north once a year.

I'm hoping someone in Ontario can fill me in on if this is infact something you had to do, and if there are other options towards getting a ATT.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

Wife wants her restricted firearm liscence, already has her unrestricted, but we've heard in order to get the ATT you need to go through a gun club, our local club has fees and a battery of tests to even join, which you need to do to obtain the ATT (this is just what I've heard though). She has no interest in range shooting or joining the gun club though, she just wants to shoot on family land up north once a year.

I'm hoping someone in Ontario can fill me in on if this is infact something you had to do, and if there are other options towards getting a ATT.

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought you could only legally shoot restricted firearms are a gun range...

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Move to Texas, fire at will.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

You can illegally shoot a handgun on land up north, guessing you 2ould be fined and lose the gun if caught, I know people who do this

Last edited:

Cotton

May 13, 2013
You can illegally shoot a handgun on land up north, guessing you 2ould be fined and lose the gun if caught, I know people who do this, I have fired handguns on my inlaws property, not my guns...

I hear that.

It was more about her not wanting to join a club and have to pay fees and jump through hoops just to be able to transport a firearm from a gunshop back home, or to a smith. But I'm hearing there may be a temporary ATT just for that purpose.

But I guess that won't help if joining a club/range is her only legal option in the end.

Move to Texas, fire at will.

I'd rather stay in Canada and have all the kooks trying to disarm us move away instead.:dunno:

Reactions: ACC1224

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

You will never get an ATT to shoot restricted at any place other then an approved range anywhere in Canada. The only exceptions are people like fur trappers or prospector who need them for legitimate work purposes and cannot carry a long gun and work at the same time.

I own 500 acres of empty land. Id love to shoot restricted there but I cannot. I have my restricted license but only so I can easily inherit or take possession of some in my family in the event their current owners pass away. I want to ensure fair value is had for them.

Reactions: thewave

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
To further put a roadblock in your way cotton, I believe most restricted must have a registered travel route.

Example: Suppose you tell the government firearm X is only to be shot at clubhouse Y. Somehow get are caught/pulled over with firearm X in your possession and you’re along a path which is not the direct route between your home and clubhouse Y. You would face big fines...I think around 15,000. Your firearm could be locked in the trunk and in a locked case. Doesn’t matter

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
To further put a roadblock in your way cotton, I believe most restricted must have a registered travel route.

Example: Suppose you tell the government firearm X is only to be shot at clubhouse Y. Somehow get are caught/pulled over with firearm X in your possession and you’re along a path which is not the direct route between your home and clubhouse Y. You would face big fines...I think around 15,000. Your firearm could be locked in the trunk and in a locked case. Doesn’t matter

I THINK that this rule got abolished a few years ago, but I could be wrong.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I hear that.

It was more about her not wanting to join a club and have to pay fees and jump through hoops just to be able to transport a firearm from a gunshop back home, or to a smith. But I'm hearing there may be a temporary ATT just for that purpose.

But I guess that won't help if joining a club/range is her only legal option in the end.

I'd rather stay in Canada and have all the kooks trying to disarm us move away instead.:dunno:

That being said... For s country our size with such a small population, its surprising we aren't all given basic training and perhaps arms to defend our homes like Switzerland. Kinda have some real deal instability to the south. I don't know about you but dabbling in history, I don't like betting on everything stays peaceful forever. Kinda like nobody is trained to live life without electronics and electricity while both those things can be disabled by nature alone. Pretty stupid approach to safe guarding the civilization you built over centuries.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Back out again at the foot of the St Lawrence camping, Thousand Islands area. Right on the water, anyone know if there’s anything good off the shore here?

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Anyone use the tube jig heads and the tube baits from shore? I (not this year, as my fishing spot is closed off due to high water levels on the river) had a local guy mention this to me. This guy was pulling in largemouth bass of good size (considering you are standing on a concrete platform fishing the Detroit River - fast currents) at will almost. Casting maybe 50 or more feet away, letting these sink down, and the bass love them! Have to experiment with colours though. First time I used one - nailed a good size one myself. This guy even stores them in a baggy filled with coffee grains - adds an aroma (does it work...who knows, seems to for this guy).

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
That being said... For s country our size with such a small population, its surprising we aren't all given basic training and perhaps arms to defend our homes like Switzerland. Kinda have some real deal instability to the south. I don't know about you but dabbling in history, I don't like betting on everything stays peaceful forever. Kinda like nobody is trained to live life without electronics and electricity while both those things can be disabled by nature alone. Pretty stupid approach to safe guarding the civilization you built over centuries.

Sadly, things here would be more like they are to the south if Canada had US style gun laws (or lack there of). Becomes an arms race.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Best of luck to all the fellow hunters here this season! Stay safe!

We are heading out to Moose camp on Wednesday in preparation of opening day on Saturday! Will no doubt miss the first couple of games of the season, but the trip is worth it!

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Best of luck to all the fellow hunters here this season! Stay safe!

We are heading out to Moose camp on Wednesday in preparation of opening day on Saturday! Will no doubt miss the first couple of games of the season, but the trip is worth it!

Good luck! My camp drew a cow tag in 49. Season not for a couple weeks yet though there

Reactions: MyBudJT

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Ha great thread. I just got in from fishing a few minutes ago here at my cottage on Ahmic lake (part of Magnetawan River). Daughter and I each caught a small pike. They've really exploded the past two years after a being so scarce.

We will probably head out in another hour or so once the moskitoes go to bed and do some night fishing. See if we can land a pickerel for lunch tomorrow.

When down in Niagara (where I live) we hit up whirlpool sometimes, but I've yet to land a Salmon.
ha ha I've fished the whirlpool once, too many water snakes for my liking, and that hike out will let you know not keeping up with your cardio training was a BAD idea! My brother fishes it regularly he loves the variety of fish and even the wee ones give quite a fight from being in that current. Personally I enjoyed when he took me to fish Crappy in Jordan, it's what I'd picture the Mekong Delta being!

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada
Finished up the Brook Trout season a couple of weeks ago. First time in over 20 years that we kept a couple.
keepers.jpg

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I live in a town on Georgian Bay. Awesome Fishing.

My retired father was out almost every day this week and catches his limit each time (Bass).

Nothing better then a good fish fry.
the small mouth bass fishing on the flats around Craigleith can be fast and furious when they're on the crayfish.

Reactions: 18leafsfan18

pulfordfan

Sep 28, 2017
Rjukan Norway
ha ha I've fished the whirlpool once, too many water snakes for my liking, and that hike out will let you know not keeping up with your cardio training was a BAD idea! My brother fishes it regularly he loves the variety of fish and even the wee ones give quite a fight from being in that current. Personally I enjoyed when he took me to fish Crappy in Jordan, it's what I'd picture the Mekong Delta being!
When I lived in St Catharines bottom bounced regularly at the whirlpool for rainbows. Good walk up and down. That was 30 years ago don't think I could do it today, still fish but sit in a boat or on my snowmobile through a hole in the ice. Miss southern Ontario.

Reactions: rumman

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Bump.

Any keen ice fishermen around here? Hows the fishing been, what do you fish for?

Only been out once this year, landed a couple walleye and a laker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad