OT: Fishing (and other outdoors pursuits) this Off-Season?

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
does anybody fish Eugenia near Flesherton? I have a little friendly tournament coming up there, really nice Bass lake especially for top water. It's a shallow, warm lake so they get wormy, I wouldn't bother keeping anything but you'll get top water hits in 12 feet of water consistently in the right parts of the lake

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Y’all are so lucky to have those cold fresh water lakes and flowing rivers.

I’m going to fry some catfish filets, chips, and hush puppies for supper tonight.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
If anyone ever gets a chance to fish tobin lake in northern saskatchewan, do it. Its a drive of 31/2 hours from Regina. Walleye was crazy there on Canada Day 3 years ago when we traveled there.

The only thing that could have been better for the 4 days and 3 nights we stayed was if you caught a walleye every cast. It was absolutely a blast and all eater size if you choose to have a fish fry. Sauger were in there also at about a 15-16" average.

Phenomenal time! ;)

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
If anyone ever gets a chance to fish tobin lake in northern saskatchewan, do it. Its a drive of 31/2 hours from Regina. Walleye was crazy there on Canada Day 3 years ago when we traveled there.

The only thing that could have been better for the 4 days and 3 nights we stayed was if you caught a walleye every cast. It was absolutely a blast and all eater size if you choose to have a fish fry. Sauger were in there also at about a 15-16" average.

Phenomenal time! ;)

Northern Saskatchewan fisheries is very underrated.

pulfordfan

Sep 28, 2017
Rjukan Norway
IMG_0010.JPG
Just bought a new 14.5 foot boat with a 9.9 hp motor was out last week on the lake near my cabin in the mountains here in Norway, got some wild Arctic char and brown trout. Nice day.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Not fishing related, but our party drew a Moose tag! Stoked for October! Gonna miss the start of the NHL season, but it’s worth it!

KIWILEAFFAN

Dec 28, 2011
New Zealand
Not fishing related, but our party drew a Moose tag! Stoked for October! Gonna miss the start of the NHL season, but it’s worth it!

I will get to hunt 5 or 6 moose this year but no trigger time for me.:naughty:
Next year I will be getting a tag and hopefully be able to bring a big BC bull back to NZ.
I seen 2 last year that would go very close to or over 60" that I would like to catch up with.

Reactions: MyBudJT

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Sadly, my favourite fishing spots (from shore - no boat), are closed off to the public, as the Detroit River water level is so high this year. A couple city marinas were shut down to boaters for the year even.

Good thing I have golf as my #2 behind hockey - no summer hockey for me, but that is what golf is for!

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Trying to post a pic here. Woohoo it worked:)) thats a couple of last nights walleye my kid caught. Sh!t it didnt come up!!!

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Not fishing, but other outdoor pursuits. Up at the Gulf of St. Lawrence by Gaspe as I type, little fire at the campsite going after about a 15 hour drive in the last 24h. Deadly quiet and stars for eons, bagged but awesome. Doing the east coast road trip through National Parks, and we do have the rods ready, we’ll see.

Reactions: Warden of the North

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc
We have a place on the Green River in Washago. Lots of bass and all the little stuff to keep the kids interested with worms. I caught a nice largemouth yesterday and did a decent job cleaning and cooking it. :) I mostly just use hula-poppers when it's calm or crankbaits if it's not.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
anybody up North gonna be getting out for Auroras?
I'm thinking of trying to get up there for the Semptember long weekend

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
does anybody fish Eugenia near Flesherton? I have a little friendly tournament coming up there, really nice Bass lake especially for top water. It's a shallow, warm lake so they get wormy, I wouldn't bother keeping anything but you'll get top water hits in 12 feet of water consistently in the right parts of the lake

I work for a fisheries research company and got to stay up there for a week earlier this year for a bit of work. It was too early in the year to do any bass fishing, but I can definitely see lots of small bass being there due to the habitat available!

Reactions: Randy Randerson

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Never been fishing before, funnily enough I was talking about trying it out with a few of my friends before summer ends.

I'd love any recommendations on good low-key fishing areas in the GTA, and any general tips.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Never been fishing before, funnily enough I was talking about trying it out with a few of my friends before summer ends.

I'd love any recommendations on good low-key fishing areas in the GTA, and any general tips.

For a rod - medium action 6'6 ft with a spinning reel. Generally speaking in regards to the reel more bearings is better (bearings is usually printed on the side of the spool). Canadian Tire usually has something on sale that will do. Spool it up with 20lbs test braided line and you can catch virtually anything in Ontario.

DO NOT use a steel leader unless specifically targeting pike or muskie.

Buy an assortment of lead head jigs (1/8 and 1/4 are fine sizes) and put a Berkely Gulp 2" shiner or grub on it. Go smaller for smaller fish if you just want the practice of hooking, handling, and catching lots. Stay away from bobbers except in specific circumstances.

Hit the bargain bins at places like SAIL and Bass Pro for things like crankbaits, spinnerbaits and soft plastics. Once you figure out if fishing is for you then you can experiment with full priced specialized items. The price of tackle has entered "absurd" territory and I loathe telling people specifics when they cost $15 each and could be lost in one cast.

Youtube can help you with spooling the line to your reel and other knots you should know. Small snap swivels are fine. Braided line is more expensive up front but will save you a fortune in tackle costs as its far superiour to old school monofilament.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I work for a fisheries research company and got to stay up there for a week earlier this year for a bit of work. It was too early in the year to do any bass fishing, but I can definitely see lots of small bass being there due to the habitat available!
It wasn't as good as usual this year, but I won our little tournament with a 3lb 1oz largemouth

clip_image001.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Community

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
For a rod - medium action 6'6 ft with a spinning reel. Generally speaking in regards to the reel more bearings is better (bearings is usually printed on the side of the spool). Canadian Tire usually has something on sale that will do. Spool it up with 20lbs test braided line and you can catch virtually anything in Ontario.

DO NOT use a steel leader unless specifically targeting pike or muskie.

Buy an assortment of lead head jigs (1/8 and 1/4 are fine sizes) and put a Berkely Gulp 2" shiner or grub on it. Go smaller for smaller fish if you just want the practice of hooking, handling, and catching lots. Stay away from bobbers except in specific circumstances.

Hit the bargain bins at places like SAIL and Bass Pro for things like crankbaits, spinnerbaits and soft plastics. Once you figure out if fishing is for you then you can experiment with full priced specialized items. The price of tackle has entered "absurd" territory and I loathe telling people specifics when they cost $15 each and could be lost in one cast.

Youtube can help you with spooling the line to your reel and other knots you should know. Small snap swivels are fine. Braided line is more expensive up front but will save you a fortune in tackle costs as its far superiour to old school monofilament.
Hey, thanks for all the info man. Screenshotted this post for future reference.

I'll let you know how it goes.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Hey, thanks for all the info man. Screenshotted this post for future reference.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Canadian Tire has Abu Garcia Cardinal fishing rods on sale for $35, usually $100. Nice, light, 4 ball bearing spinner.

Great first rod. Everyone I lend it to ends up trying to take it from me. It is my Mjolnor....... :)

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Experimenting with the Ned Rig this summer and had a real success with it today. Built that confidence that is key when trying a new technique.

As soon as I saw it, I knew it would work for bass. And it does. Had a great morning with my wife and daughter smashing smallies in 14-18ft of water mostly on the Ned Rig. Some also on drop shots with Xzone Slammers and Berkely grubs.

Ive been using the Zman Ned rig stuff. Its a flat headed jig that sits with the hook standing straight up off bottom and the soft plastic is very elasticy and floats. The resulting presentation of a grub "standing" up of bottom drove the smallmouth wild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->