Fisher’s 8th Annual NHL Mock Draft: 2019, Rounds 1-7

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I love and appreciate the effort put into this but this part is pretty lazy :

"but the fact Lavoie is a Francophone from Montreal with a skill-set quite similar to the traded Max Pacioretty makes him the perfect choice."

Reactions: OB5

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I really like Tomasino, but with Seider there, I would take him. Suzuki at 32 is excellent... I would likely go with Rees at 44. |

Good Job Larry, not going to please everyone with every single pick. Overall impressive work.

I think Dorion would be pretty happy with Seider, Suzuki and Rees in the top 44 picks.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
I agree that some smaller players don't perform well in the playoffs, but then you have players like Schwartz that are just killing it in the playoffs.

Fair point for sure, Schwartz and DeBrincat play much bigger than they are. Marchand too, for that matter. The question is can Caufield play "big" as a small guy? I'm sure many scouts are torn over that, myself included.

Last edited:

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
FWIW I thought your mock was going along really well until you hit us at 20.

Rangers have tons of defense prospects--I'm not against us taking more defensemen in this draft--the BPA thing but but right now if we stayed with 9 draft picks all things being equal between a forward and a D I'd lean towards the forward but 6 forwards, 3 defense would be good. True that Kakko (probably), Kravtsov, Andersson and Chytil are already here---so it's not like there's nothing but right now after Morgan Barron our unsigned forward prospects (is pardon the pun) is pretty barren.

I really like the Albin Grewe by the way. Rangers could use more edge and he's a skilled guy too.

I saw you have Beecher at 31--he's from my hometown--I'm thinking he doesn't last to 49 but if he did I'd want the Rangers on him.

Yeah, the Honka pick is getting the most backlash, he's a polarizing prospect and some scouts wouldn't even take him in the second round by the sounds of it. I like Honka, but he'll be much lower than 20 in my consensus mock.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
I know it goes against the BPA sacrament but I was thinking RHD and a high floor speedy big forechecking type forward should be on their wish list. Treliving has mentioned scouting Seider pretty heavily but if him Thomson or Soderstrom don't fall to them Brink, Tomasino, or McMichael would all be fine with me. They might even look at Leason at #26, not really a lot of beef in the pool at the moment.

Thomson could be an option in the first round as a RD and there will be a few in the Flames' range in other rounds too if that has been identified as an organizational weakness. I'll take that into mind for the consensus mock.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Similarly,

Tag Bertuzzi:
Central Scouting- Unranked
Writer 1 - Unranked
Writer 2 - Unranked
Writer 3 - 175

Taken By Detroit Round 5, 128th overall because Bertuzzi.

Crazy things like that happen every year. And that wouldn't be all that crazy. It's not like this Bertuzzi is completely off the scouting radar, he was considered a first-round candidate for this draft a couple years ago but injuries have derailed his development. He could have a huge breakout next season if he stays healthy. Detroit could definitely be the team to "reach" for him in the fifth round.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
I love and appreciate the effort put into this but this part is pretty lazy :

"but the fact Lavoie is a Francophone from Montreal with a skill-set quite similar to the traded Max Pacioretty makes him the perfect choice."

I like Lavoie for Montreal in general, not just because he's from there, but I'll go in a different direction for the consensus mock since the consensus seems to be that nobody associated to Montreal wants Lavoie.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
I really like Tomasino, but with Seider there, I would take him. Suzuki at 32 is excellent... I would likely go with Rees at 44. |

Good Job Larry, not going to please everyone with every single pick. Overall impressive work.

I think Dorion would be pretty happy with Seider, Suzuki and Rees in the top 44 picks.

Yeah that'd be a nice haul too, but I think Dorion would be equally happy with Tomasino, Suzuki and Kolyachonok. Either way, your picks or mine, that would be a big win for Ottawa.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I like Lavoie for Montreal in general, not just because he's from there, but I'll go in a different direction for the consensus mock since the consensus seems to be that nobody associated to Montreal wants Lavoie.

I get you, it's not about Lavoie as a player, he's a good one and might very well be the Habs pick after all. But saying he's the perfect pick because he's french and looks like Pacioretty is pretty lazy.

Tell us what the Habs might actually like in him and what role he could fit in the team.

Tell us why it would be a Timmins/Churla pick considering his past drafts or if he's isn't, why he would still pick him.

Going with nationality is about the worst perspective to justify a pick.

I don't mind Lavoie, but I despise the reasoning behind it.

Reactions: MSSLYNX

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Why not Broberg? He's not quite on Dahlin's level, but he's got legit top-pairing upside. The potential to build a blue line around those two Swedes for the next decade would have me very excited as a Sabres fan.

Buffalo’s sixth best D prospect is better than their second best forward prospect.

I might be slightly exaggerating that and I might not.

Either way passing on any forward worthy of selection at 7 for another D will be met with anger and disappointment.

“Not quite Dahlin level”. Yeah and I’m “not quite Brad Pitt” in the looks department.

But honestly if you’re going to go with Boldy instead just leave it. I’d rather have no offense on purpose than watch the forward we take be outperformed by the next half dozen forwards we passed on.

Last edited:

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I was enjoying the read until I got to the Rangers drafting Honka at 20. Then I saw the Capitals get Seider at 25. Then I shut the book and pretended it didn’t happen.

While that one threw me off the rails, thanks for all the write ups. I’ll probably pick up reading at pick 26 tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Larry Fisher

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
I get you, it's not about Lavoie as a player, he's a good one and might very well be the Habs pick after all. But saying he's the perfect pick because he's french and looks like Pacioretty is pretty lazy.

Tell us what the Habs might actually like in him and what role he could fit in the team.

Tell us why it would be a Timmins/Churla pick considering his past drafts or if he's isn't, why he would still pick him.

Going with nationality is about the worst perspective to justify a pick.

I don't mind Lavoie, but I despise the reasoning behind it.

Well, the analysis suggests he could fill Pacioretty’s void in the lineup as a big-bodied scoring winger and also that he could become Montreal’s Anthony Mantha as a sniper that is currently lacking from that forward group. The fact he hails from Montreal only helps as far as being the perfect choice.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Buffalo’s sixth best D prospect is better than their second best forward prospect.

I might be slightly exaggerating that and I might not.

Either way passing on any forward worthy of selection at 7 for another D will be met with anger and disappointment.

“Not quite Dahlin level”. Yeah and I’m “not quite Brad Pitt” in the looks department.

But honestly if you’re going to go with Boldy instead just leave it. I’d rather have no offense on purpose than watch the forward we take be outperformed by the next half dozen forwards we passed on.

Buffalo does have better D prospects than F prospects but I’d still go BPA there and, for me, that was Broberg. I think you’d regret passing on him in favour of a forward simply for positional preference, but to each their own. I’ll go with a forward for Buffalo in my consensus mock, likely Boldy.

yeaher

May 3, 2019
I think if Turcotte is drafted, Avs have to go with Byram he is a stud and would be great for the future. Also, we never no how things turn out, but he'd be a far more valuable trade piece over the next two years any player remaining if the Avs try to make a move for top notch player from elsewhere in that time.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Fair point for sure, Schwartz and DeBrincat play much bigger than they are. Marchand too, for that matter. The question is can Caufield play "big" as a small guy? I'm sure many scouts are torn over that, myself included.
I would also add Krug in there too, but then there are guys like Ellis that are amazing in the regular season and then just play mediocre in the playoffs. Everything Boldy does, I think Caufield does better. I'd rank Caufield around 6 overall. Him and Krebs seem to be some of the best skilled forwards after the first two picks. Turcotte has a good skill level too, but is more of a smart type of player.

Reactions: Larry Fisher

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
I think if Turcotte is drafted, Avs have to go with Byram he is a stud and would be great for the future. Also, we never no how things turn out, but he'd be a far more valuable trade piece over the next two years any player remaining if the Avs try to make a move for top notch player from elsewhere in that time.

This makes sense. BPA is almost always the right decision.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I don't think Caulfield really needs to have to play big. He's a guy who'll use his quicks and smarts to avoid physical contact. To me he's similar to Kessel when Kessel was a prospect, and I think he's going to be that caliber of scorer. Even though Kessel is/was bigger, it's not like he's out there taking the body. Both those guys are going to be trying to get into space where they can receive passes and snipe it home.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
I don't think Caulfield really needs to have to play big. He's a guy who'll use his quicks and smarts to avoid physical contact. To me he's similar to Kessel when Kessel was a prospect, and I think he's going to be that caliber of scorer. Even though Kessel is/was bigger, it's not like he's out there taking the body. Both those guys are going to be trying to get into space where they can receive passes and snipe it home.

Good point/counterpoint. And Kessel has obviously had some success in the playoffs despite not getting his nose dirty. There are other ways to be effective and lighting the lamp definitely tops that list. Caufield could score a ton of goals, but if he doesn't, the scout who recommended him in the top 10 or even the top 15 is going to get a blemish on his record/resume.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Good point/counterpoint. And Kessel has obviously had some success in the playoffs despite not getting his nose dirty. There are other ways to be effective and lighting the lamp definitely tops that list. Caufield could score a ton of goals, but if he doesn't, the scout who recommended him in the top 10 or even the top 15 is going to get a blemish on his record/resume.
No doubt there is risk with Caulfield, as you said, he needs to be scoring to contribute. And in truth, he’s not the guy I want for the Habs even at 15 because we are so small up front all ready. But I do think he’s going to be a big time scorer in the NHL.

Hockey2314

Aug 15, 2017
Why is Adam Liska so low? He played on WC, scored 2 goals against Team Canada, had most points from Slovakia (5 ) on WJC, played all season in KHL. What he can do more to be higher?

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
No doubt there is risk with Caulfield, as you said, he needs to be scoring to contribute. And in truth, he’s not the guy I want for the Habs even at 15 because we are so small up front all ready. But I do think he’s going to be a big time scorer in the NHL.

If he falls that far, to 15, you’d be getting a mighty motivated player. But all this talk about falling and yet there’s also talk that Chicago has at least a passing interest in him at 3. Teams have to take him seriously and give Caufield serious consideration, but you can see how he could get passed over repeatedly and start sliding out of the top 10 and towards 15.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Why is Adam Liska so low? He played on WC, scored 2 goals against Team Canada, had most points from Slovakia (5 ) on WJC, played all season in KHL. What he can do more to be higher?

Overagers and goalies are the hardest to predict/mock. Leason, Fagemo and Kochetkov are expected to go in the top 75, but there are 40-55 overagers taken every year. So guessing which other ones will be drafted and where is nearly impossible. And remember it only takes one team to “reach” for a prospect like Liska, who could be in the top 100 for some teams. It’s safe to assume some of the overagers from my mock will be taken higher, thus bumping down some of the first-time eligibles.

Reactions: Hockey2314

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad