Fisher’s 8th Annual NHL Mock Draft: 2019, Rounds 1-7

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Phew, that's a lot of work. Would be thrilled if the Wild get Boldy as you predict. They need C's, and RHS forwards, but more than anything they need a scorer, and Boldy projects to be that at the NHL level. Nothing is sure with draft picks, but he seems to have about as little bust to him as you can get.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Honka to the Rangers at 20? With Seider still on the board? Honka isn’t the type of player Rangers would target and he’s redundant in our system with offensive RHD in DeAngelo, Fox, Shatty, and Pionk. Though the latter two won’t be here long. I’d be surprised if Honka was picked before the mid 2nd round

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Honka to the Rangers at 20? With Seider still on the board? Honka isn’t the type of player Rangers would target and he’s redundant in our system with offensive RHD in DeAngelo, Fox, Shatty, and Pionk. Though the latter two won’t be here long. I’d be surprised if Honka was picked before the mid 2nd round

There are always surprises at the draft every year. This year will be no exception. There is a big tier from 21-45 (or even to 54) in my final rankings and any of those prospects could be options for the Rangers assuming my top 19 are gone and that the Rangers don't want another goalie in Knight (ranked No. 20 for me). I do agree, though, that Seider is the more likely candidate in hindsight. This mock has been in the works for months and that 20th overall pick for the Rangers will most likely be changed for my consensus mock based on feedback from fellow scouts, media and fan bases. I'm listening ...

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Wouldn't want the Wings to take Podkolzin if Dach is still on the board. The Wings are already in good shape on the wing with Mantha, Zadina, Bertuzzi, AA (who is a much better winger than center).

Outside of defense, which would be nearly impossible to address at #6, their biggest need is a playmaking center. Dach or Zegras would be ideal if either is available there, unless by some miracle Byram is there.

The idea that Yzerman selects Podkolzin primarily because he has a history with Russians is a little bit ridiculous as Yzerman also has just as much if not more history with Canadiens and Americans. He's too smart a guy to make a pick based on nationality preference anyway.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
The Habs have picked one Quebec born player in the first round in the last 20 years.

It's such a lazy narrative.

You admit he's not a prototypical Timmins pick, and yet still can't help yourself. Then proceed to take a swipe at our fanbase.

Great job.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
If Buffalo takes Broberg I'll be sure to put that as the reason in my suicide note. Hoglander with their second 1st may raise me from the dead though.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I appreciate all of the work and the reasons given for picks well past the first or second round is refreshing.

And yet I would question the tendency to gravitate toward a single type of player either by position or origin a lot regarding the Sabres. It reminds me a bit of when Tyler Myers was drafted and then every time a tall defenseman was eligible to be drafted, people immediately put that as a reason Buffalo might select him in their mocks. They have a glut of defense prospects already, of various stripes and abilities, even from places other than Sweden. What they sorely lacking in their development pipeline are forwards that can drive play, who can finish plays, or who have elements of any sort of singularly dynamic skill at all be it shooting or skating or even hitting.

I'm with Moskau, if they take Broberg at 8, I'd be hard pressed to find a silver lining in it. He's the one guy in the mocks I keep seeing in the 7-11 range who gives me the most pause. Forwards? Yes please. Defense? Not so much.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
If Buffalo takes Broberg I'll be sure to put that as the reason in my suicide note. Hoglander with their second 1st may raise me from the dead though.
If Turcotte/Byram/Dach aren’t there it’d be a fine pick, at least IMO. The upside there is large.

I get Buffalo fans wanting a center, though.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
The idea that Yzerman selects Podkolzin primarily because he has a history with Russians is a little bit ridiculous

It's a very ridiculous claim actually, if his drafting history is any indication, we're likely not taking a Russian with our 1st round. I could however see him taking one with one of our second rounders (The Kucherov route).

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Wouldn't want the Wings to take Podkolzin if Dach is still on the board. The Wings are already in good shape on the wing with Mantha, Zadina, Bertuzzi, AA (who is a much better winger than center).

Outside of defense, which would be nearly impossible to address at #6, their biggest need is a playmaking center. Dach or Zegras would be ideal if either is available there, unless by some miracle Byram is there.

The idea that Yzerman selects Podkolzin primarily because he has a history with Russians is a little bit ridiculous as Yzerman also has just as much if not more history with Canadiens and Americans. He's too smart a guy to make a pick based on nationality preference anyway.

That's all true and understandable. Noted on the Wings' positional preference for a centre. In saying that, if Detroit goes BPA, I honestly think Podkolzin is that guy based on how my mock played out in the top five. And if the Wings do want to go D, I'd highly recommend Broberg. He's no Lidstrom, but he's got the potential to be something special in a few years. I definitely see top-pairing upside.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
The Habs have picked one Quebec born player in the first round in the last 20 years.

It's such a lazy narrative.

You admit he's not a prototypical Timmins pick, and yet still can't help yourself. Then proceed to take a swipe at our fanbase.

Great job.

Maybe they are due for a Quebec-born first-rounder? Or overdue? I know the history, but I think Lavoie checks a lot of boxes for Montreal, including being a local product. I think he'd grow on you once he's in a Habs jersey.

Reactions: Hellraising Senator

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.

Why not Broberg? He's not quite on Dahlin's level, but he's got legit top-pairing upside. The potential to build a blue line around those two Swedes for the next decade would have me very excited as a Sabres fan.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
I appreciate all of the work and the reasons given for picks well past the first or second round is refreshing.

And yet I would question the tendency to gravitate toward a single type of player either by position or origin a lot regarding the Sabres. It reminds me a bit of when Tyler Myers was drafted and then every time a tall defenseman was eligible to be drafted, people immediately put that as a reason Buffalo might select him in their mocks. They have a glut of defense prospects already, of various stripes and abilities, even from places other than Sweden. What they sorely lacking in their development pipeline are forwards that can drive play, who can finish plays, or who have elements of any sort of singularly dynamic skill at all be it shooting or skating or even hitting.

I'm with Moskau, if they take Broberg at 8, I'd be hard pressed to find a silver lining in it. He's the one guy in the mocks I keep seeing in the 7-11 range who gives me the most pause. Forwards? Yes please. Defense? Not so much.

Definitely noted on all fronts. I appreciate the feedback and will factor it into my consensus mock. It does sound like Buffalo's fan base is clamouring for a forward at No. 7. As mentioned, Caufield was the forward that I had in mind. Would you be happier with him? Or do you prefer any/all of Dach, Cozens, Krebs, Newhook, Boldy?

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
If Turcotte/Byram/Dach aren’t there it’d be a fine pick, at least IMO. The upside there is large.

I get Buffalo fans wanting a center, though.

Well, Dach is there. Buffalo is taking Broberg over Dach in my mock. And I had considered Caufield ahead of Dach in that spot too. Are Sabres fans all aboard the Dach bandwagon if he's still on the board at No. 7?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Definitely noted on all fronts. I appreciate the feedback and will factor it into my consensus mock. It does sound like Buffalo's fan base is clamouring for a forward at No. 7. As mentioned, Caufield was the forward that I had in mind. Would you be happier with him? Or do you prefer any/all of Dach, Cozens, Krebs, Newhook, Boldy?

There is some scuttlebutt from someone who tends to know the mind of the team that they are leaning toward Boldy since their one true love, err Alex Turcotte will be gone and their second choice for the prom, err Trevor Zegras has impressed enough to get a look ahead of their pick at 7OA.

I think they should be looking at the centers and choose between the WHL trio of Dach, Cozens or Krebs if those are the guys there. The HF board mock had the board vote in Krebs as the choice, based on a need for both skill and Krebs style being a big missing from the Sabres makeup. That said, it's hard to argue with big men who move well and can create offense. *shrug*

Edit: that vote was done with Cozens, Dach, Turcotte all off the board and Krebs won out over Zegras in a bit of a run-off. So... I would think they would probably take Dach or Cozens over Krebs if the three were still there, even if Krebs does give them something else they sorely lack.

Again, I appreciate all the work and I found it an entertaining read.

Reactions: Larry Fisher

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
It's a very ridiculous claim actually, if his drafting history is any indication, we're likely not taking a Russian with our 1st round. I could however see him taking one with one of our second rounders (The Kucherov route).

I see what you are saying, but beyond the Russian factor/history, I was taking Podkolzin as BPA there for Detroit. He's still my third-ranked prospect for 2019 and I see him developing into the third most impactful forward from this draft class, though others will give him a run for that title (Turcotte in particular).

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
There is some scuttlebutt from someone who tends to know the mind of the team that they are leaning toward Boldy since their one true love, err Alex Turcotte will be gone and their second choice for the prom, err Trevor Zegras has impressed enough to get a look ahead of their pick at 7OA.

I think they should be looking at the centers and choose between the WHL trio of Dach, Cozens or Krebs if those are the guys there. The HF board mock had the board vote in Krebs as the choice, based on a need for both skill and Krebs style being a big missing from the Sabres makeup. That said, it's hard to argue with big men who move well and can create offense. *shrug*

Again, I appreciate all the work and I found it an entertaining read.

Thanks for the additional feedback. Boldy is a winger, so now I'm conflicted on Buffalo's wants and needs again haha. Lots of quality options for the Sabres at No. 7. They will get a prospect worth getting excited over. I can't see Buffalo taking Podkolzin if he makes it past Detroit, but I could see the Sabres taking any of the other prospects we've name-dropped here. That isn't an easy pick to predict by any means.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Nice list.
Great effort!
I very much agree on Turcotte probably going #3 and forcing Colorado into picking their 2nd (or better 4th choice )forward. Byram to Colorado just is not going to happen no matter how much I would like it.

I just hope they pick Dach over Zegras personally. Not a fan at all of Zegras at #4.

Also believe Podkolzin will slide out of the top10 (or atleast to the 8-12 range) and that Seider will be picked in the top15. Maybe even in the top10. His injury history is an issue but aside from that I feel that people are really sleeping on him and especially his offensive game. I mean the kid broke the record for youngest D to score multiple goals in their WC debut and was clearly head and shoulders above his peers offensively on Team Germany. I just don't see those limitations others see in his offensive game at all.
And I think a team will fall in love with him early. Wouldn't even be surprised if Ralph Krueger would push for him at #7. I think if the Sabres "reach" for one of the non-Byram Ds, it will be Seider and not Broberg.

I also agree that Knight to the Avs makes some sense but its very unlikely to happen. Recent comments indicate that the Avs are content with what they have for now and continuing their scattergun approach searching for their own Binnington instead of investing that 1st into Knight.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Thanks for the additional feedback. Boldy is a winger, so now I'm conflicted on Buffalo's wants and needs again haha. Lots of quality options for the Sabres at No. 7. They will get a prospect worth getting excited over. I can't see Buffalo taking Podkolzin if he makes it past Detroit, but I could see the Sabres taking any of the other prospects we've name-dropped here. That isn't an easy pick to predict by any means.

There is a person who does some reporting on Sabre prospects who has quietly indicated that Boldy is a prefered target. He tends to know the minds of their scouting staff.

Then there are the rest of us plebeian posters who look at the glaring weaknesses of the team, from being small to ineffective to churchmouse scared and think someone who is rambunctious could be a straw that stirs the team's drink in Krebs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->