Firsthand Experience: Do you or someone close to you have it?

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I didn't know anyone that had it for the longest time. In the past month there's been 5 people that were more so friends-of-friends that got it. All were young and healthy so no major consequences.

Just found out a co-worker that I typically work close with has it (I've been working from home since March). He's a bit older with a bit more of a complicated medical situation, so it's more concerning.
3 more people at my work now have it

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
As my parents used to say: "There's a lotta that goin' around." :rolleyes:

... And, now I am losing sense of taste and smell. I had a beer tonight, and it didn’t really even taste like beer. Weird.
Did you try getting "Fuelled by Whiskey"? I hear it's good for what ails you.

Last edited by a moderator:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
There's been a positive result in one of my kids class. It happened the same time he had mild symptoms for a day, so we've had a stressful 48 hours while we've awaited test results. Just got the negative test result back a few hours ago thankfully.

His class has moved online fully for the next two weeks though.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I'm up to:

My side of the family - aunt (hospitalized in May and still suffering from the after effects), three cousins, two kids of cousins

Wife's family - great aunt (went into the ICU and then to hospice and miraculously survived), uncle (might not survive it because of his lung issues

Two people who report to my wife have it now as well along with some of their family members. They work remote, so this is coincidence and not from getting it at work.

These are folks in Texas, Illinois, Virginia, and Florida.

It's getting more and more frequent that I'm hearing from friends or coworkers about people they know who've tested positive.

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
I had it and I am now fully recovered. Started with some chills, upper body aches and nausea one morning. Second day was much of the same minus the chills and I went and got tested after being let know I had close contact to someone with it. Lost my sense of smell and taste. Was more tired than normal but never felt really awful. Was like a cold for the most part and wouldn’t have thought any different if I hadn’t been confirmed by a positive test.No one else in my house caught it (Wife and two older kids). I felt fine well before my quarantine was over.
I am very healthy for my age and I’m sure it helped to pay a roll. I know a few others that have had it and all were like myself. One guy that has asthma had a little more difficulty with his lungs but that was only for one day.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Female Cousin (30's)
Aunt, Uncle (60's)
Male Cousin and wife (30's) and their kids

All apparently mild cases so far, but my overweight 66 year old father with recent heart surgery met the female cousin about 10 days ago. Hoping he and my even more unhealthy mother don't get it.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Time for me to mention that my work is a family business.

At least 5 more people have it including my dad (currently hospitalized) and 2 of my aunts who are all late 60's/Early 70's

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
I got my first test taken today. Not the most pleasant experience but not as bad as I originally feared. I've had an annoying headache all weekend and a sore throat. I kind of hope that I have it since my symptoms are so mild so I just rather be done with it. Hopefully I find out tomorrow.

I have few friends and several coworkers who have had it and so far no one has had any bad symptoms. Just an average flu symptoms.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I have to isolate due to close contact with a co worker who tested positive, although they are asymptomatic.

Five classes, around 100 kids have to isolate for two weeks.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Fiancé’s mother got it. Recovered. But now my fiancé’s sister got it. We saw her on Thanksgiving. She didn’t find out until the next day. My fiancé, her brother that lives with us, and I all got tested. Waiting for results. Fiancé may have it or bronchitis. Took two rapid tests with different results so she’s got to get another test Sunday. The brother and i feel fine though.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Fiancé’s mother got it. Recovered. But now my fiancé’s sister got it. We saw her on Thanksgiving. She didn’t find out until the next day. My fiancé, her brother that lives with us, and I all got tested. Waiting for results. Fiancé may have it or bronchitis. Took two rapid tests with different results so she’s got to get another test Sunday. The brother and i feel fine though.
Even if it comes out negative, you'll still want to quarantine. False negatives are common early in the infection. Sometimes it takes a few days of active infection to be able to register a positive result.

Some extreme cases have resulted in hospitalized individuals even needing several rounds of testing to get a positive result. Thankfully that isn't common though.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Have a 20's something co-worker that got it a couple of weeks back, she is still very much dealing with pneumonia :thumbd:

I got my first test taken today. Not the most pleasant experience but not as bad as I originally feared. I've had an annoying headache all weekend and a sore throat. I kind of hope that I have it since my symptoms are so mild so I just rather be done with it. Hopefully I find out tomorrow.

I have few friends and several coworkers who have had it and so far no one has had any bad symptoms. Just an average flu symptoms.

You get used to it, although we have a nurse on-site that in a previous life was likely a gold digger. Everytime he shoves one of those swabs up your nose it's like he's stuck gold.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Even if it comes out negative, you'll still want to quarantine. False negatives are common early in the infection. Sometimes it takes a few days of active infection to be able to register a positive result.

Some extreme cases have resulted in hospitalized individuals even needing several rounds of testing to get a positive result. Thankfully that isn't common though.

Well so far i still feel fine as does our roommate. My fiancé has symptoms still but could be bronchitis. Waiting on test results. Unfortunately i can’t go to work and since I’m through a temp there’s nothing they can do about it pay wise. My work is trying to see about some unemployment or something. Either way, I’m being punished with no pay for doing the right thing... Would have been easier to just go to work and not say anything.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Sure, a bunch of people. Everyone is fine now. Most were back at 100% a week later and said they have worse colds in their lives than Covid. Only one was sick in bed for about 10 days but he's fine now too. That was the first person who got it too that I knew, thankfully since then nothing has been worse.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Well so far i still feel fine as does our roommate. My fiancé has symptoms still but could be bronchitis. Waiting on test results. Unfortunately i can’t go to work and since I’m through a temp there’s nothing they can do about it pay wise. My work is trying to see about some unemployment or something. Either way, I’m being punished with no pay for doing the right thing... Would have been easier to just go to work and not say anything.
That's tough, sorry to hear that.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
That's tough, sorry to hear that.

So just reporting back. We all tested negative but my fiancé just got a call from the urgent care we had originally tested at and she tested positive for flu and negative for bronchitis. Explains her symptoms. This ended up being the least bad scenario. Bronchitis usually hits her pretty hard as she has mild asthma.

Reactions: TaLoN

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
I have it.
I have a little cold and lost my sense of smell and taste on Sunday. I wanted to visit my pregnant sister that day, so I decided to do the test just to be sure that I do NOT have it. It proofed me wrong... So I will be at home until the 8th... If the symptoms won't get worse it really is just like a cold for me. Luckily. My wife and the 2 girls (11 months / 3 1/2 years) don't have it... At least they don't have symptoms.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I'm hearing about more people getting it. My father-in-law in all likelihood has it - he has typical symptoms including loss of taste, fever, chills, etc., and his boss tested positive. Sounds like he's on the mend and hasn't had any serious issues. The pastor of my parents' church (the one I went to growing up) lost his mother to it a month ago or so. They weren't allowed to visit her in the hospital or say goodbye. Now his father is in the hospital and in serious condition. It's sorry to hear. No one should have to go that way or lose family members that way.

Edit: in case anyone is wondering, they did not catch it at the church. They don't live in the same state as the pastor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I have a cousin (step-dad's nephew who Im not particularlyclose with) hospitalized due to the virus. By the time winter is over- damn near everyone is going to know someone who suffered from this virus whether it's a hospitalization, ICU stay, or death. Sad times ahead. Stay diligent, people, and keep your circle very tight ( use precautions when with people outside your household)

They weren't allowed to visit her in the hospital or say goodbye. Now his father is in the hospital and in serious condition. It's sorry to hear. No one should have to go that way or lose family members that way.

This is something I still cannot adjust to 9 months later. Ive seen this firsthand. Im witnessing it happen more and more, and now our ICU is holding patients.

I played a role in converting half our unit over for COVID patients. I had some interesting things to do with supply chain, ironing out small details that may get overlooked, among other things, but I also had to go to other COVID ICUs to examine how theyre handling the patients. A Very, very f***ing sad journey that was. Talking to some of the nurses while so many f***ing people are ventilated and passing all alone. I got home and my wife could tell i was visibly on edge. (I actually heard about my cousin the same day, so yeah, that day can get bent)

Im reminded of a Willie Nelson song that rings true for me, at least. In this song- he sings 'it's not something you get over- only something you get through'. That's the sense I get as this pandemic rolls on. Ill never truly get over what Ive seen, but Ill get through it.

Praying that others dont have to experience this sense of sadness, but Im afraid many of us will.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Found out a couple days ago that my younger cousin has covid and she exposed her entire immediate family - my aunt, uncle, 3 other cousins plus one cousins husband and toddler.

my aunt and uncle are both high risk (obese, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc), as are 2 of my cousins (including the one who has covid, though you’d never know she was high risk by the way she was treating this pandemic...).

Last edited:

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I have a cousin (step-dad's nephew who Im not particularlyclose with) hospitalized due to the virus. By the time winter is over- damn near everyone is going to know someone who suffered from this virus whether it's a hospitalization, ICU stay, or death. Sad times ahead. Stay diligent, people, and keep your circle very tight ( use precautions when with people outside your household)

This is something I still cannot adjust to 9 months later. Ive seen this firsthand. Im witnessing it happen more and more, and now our ICU is holding patients.

I played a role in converting half our unit over for COVID patients. I had some interesting things to do with supply chain, ironing out small details that may get overlooked, among other things, but I also had to go to other COVID ICUs to examine how theyre handling the patients. A Very, very f***ing sad journey that was. Talking to some of the nurses while so many f***ing people are ventilated and passing all alone. I got home and my wife could tell i was visibly on edge. (I actually heard about my cousin the same day, so yeah, that day can get bent)

Im reminded of a Willie Nelson song that rings true for me, at least. In this song- he sings 'it's not something you get over- only something you get through'. That's the sense I get as this pandemic rolls on. Ill never truly get over what Ive seen, but Ill get through it.

Praying that others dont have to experience this sense of sadness, but Im afraid many of us will.
Well, I just heard that my parents' pastor's dad has now died of it too. :( I didn't know him personally, but I am close friends with the pastor and his kids (they were some of my best friends growing up).

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->