First USA Hockey Referee Assignment . . .

armi5718

May 9, 2009
Hey guys. I just got my level 1 a few weeks ago and have been assigned two Squirt B games in early October for my first go 'round.

Got any advice for me boys??

jmon13

Nov 21, 2010
Be consistent.
I've watched a lot of mite and squirt hockey over the last few years, and most refs are simply put terrible. Not because they make bad calls, but because they will call something a trip and the same thing will happen later and there will be no call, or they will allow a certain amount of contact, then randomly change what they will allow.

Also even though they are squirts, keep control of the game, I saw a ton of pushing matches and 1 kid get thrown to the ground and punched a few times (nothing major) because the refs lost control and let it get too chippy. A lot of kids seemed to take poke repeatedly at the goalies after the whistles and that is what caused most of the fighting at that age.

And don't be afraid to throw parents out if they are a pain.

Oh and take your skate guards off before you go on the ice. I saw a ref forget last year... epic fail :P

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
Hey guys. I just got my level 1 a few weeks ago and have been assigned two Squirt B games in early October for my first go 'round.

Got any advice for me boys??

Be aware that you're not officially a ref till Dec. 1 and you may not be covered by USA Hockey if you do games before your level 1 is actually in affect. If something happens in a game you're not covered by USAH, the liability comes back on you and your family.

ThisIsOilCountry

Jan 1, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Last year was my first, so I have some advice,

Focus on one aspect of the game in the beginning. For example, focus on line work, off-sides, icings, etc. Or the opposite, goals, positioning, etc. I found initial games to very overwhelming to do because of all the information I had to keep in mind. Hopefully your partner will have some experience under his belt, and you can communicate this with them so they will know what they should look out for.

Don't be hesitant to make a call. You have probably been playing the game for a while, and you have taken some kind of refereeing course. You earned the ability to wear the stripes, so you know if something is a penalty or offside. Don't be afraid to call it if you see it. On top of that, you are the boss out there, just because you are new, don't let a coach, player or parent boss you around. You made the call so stand by it, don't let them dictate your flow of the game.

Don't worry about being perfect. You are human and you are new to this. Experience is the only way to really become a better and more confident official. You will make mistakes or miss calls, that is a given. But, acknowledge your mistakes if the coach calls you out. Let him know, "Sorry, I missed that one coach, but I will keep an eye on it." Furthermore, don't put yourself down if you make mistakes, just move on because majority of the time, there is nothing else you can do.

PM me if you have questions, because I would happy to share any other tips I can give.

Ruslan Zainullin

Aug 2, 2011
Be stern but fair out there. and kudos to you for performing the service! referees in youth leagues are much needed but often under appreciated, best of luck to you.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Best advice I can give you as someone who has refereed for nearly a quarter century? Don't listen to advice from guys on a message board.:D

jeffr555

Sep 27, 2011
Gino, your statement is incorrect

Be aware that you're not officially a ref till Dec. 1 and you may not be covered by USA Hockey if you do games before your level 1 is actually in affect. If something happens in a game you're not covered by USAH, the liability comes back on you and your family.

Gino,
Once an official receives their crest and card they are officially sanctioned by USA Hockey and therefore able to work games and be covered by USA Hockey (provided the game is a USA Hockey sanctioned event). If your regional directors have limited when a ref can begin that is different. But USA Hockey allows you to work upon receipt of you crest and officials card.

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
Gino,
Once an official receives their crest and card they are officially sanctioned by USA Hockey and therefore able to work games and be covered by USA Hockey (provided the game is a USA Hockey sanctioned event). If your regional directors have limited when a ref can begin that is different. But USA Hockey allows you to work upon receipt of you crest and officials card.

If this is the case, please post something other than what you believe to be fact. Since it's not you that will cover his liability, it's of no real consequence to you if what you say isn't correct. The card is only good for one year and expires on Nov. 30, you do the math.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad