First time to a game and need a little guidance

Mike The Knight

Oct 30, 2018
I have been to Vegas many times to induldge in the adult offerings but this time I am bringing my family to our first Knights game. We are coming from Washington State and are huge Knight Fans. We are coming to watch the Knights v. Caps on 12/4. I am bringing my 5 year old who bleeds VGK colors. I am looking for any game day details and activities to do. Any ideas or further explanation surrouding seeing the players, autographs, what time to get to the game, pre-game celebrations or rituals, watching the drummers, skating at City National Arena, what time doors open and can you go down to the glass and watch them warm up, anything helps here. The kid chose VGK game over disneyland so I am trying to give him (and me) and epic trip. Any details help. Go Knights Go!

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
If you haven't followed the VGK twitter account, do so. It's a bit of a drive (or Uber) out to the practice facility, City National Arena, but if they do a morning skate, they'll announce the time earlier in the morning, and it should be around 10:30 on a gameday. The practice facility is beautiful, with two rinks, a big logo shop of course, and upstairs there is a pizza restaurant/pub/grill that has high seats overlooking the rings on either side.

Even if the team isn't practicing, there is always something going on with youth teams, UNLV practice, beer league, open skates, etc.

As for the game itself, there is a large plaza in front of T-Mobile. There is a DJ that plays LOUD jams, and typically a few other attractions.

But skip all that. Get there early, but try to be the first in security line for entry. Get your kid up the escalator to the left as you enter, and go to Section 3/4 entrance. From there, he can position himself on the glass for warmups and hope a puck comes his way. Alternatively, you can bring him to the stairwell by the players' ice entrance, on the side beside the bench, and he can high five them as they come on and/or off. Standard NHL game fare. Sometimes sticks come their way. Both places get jam packed with kids of all ages, so do get there early.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Hello, fellow Washingtonian.

If you don't mind driving up to Summerlin and visiting City National Arena, that's where the Knights do their morning skate and practice. It's also where you've got the greatest chance to have your 5 year old get in close proximity with the players. City National is a pretty easy place to get to, and once practice is winding down, there's an area between the rink and the locker room tunnel where the kids can stand near the barrier and often get autographs/to meet the players. There's no real scheduled player availability, just get there in time for morning skate (depending on how the team is doing, you may have to show up early to guarantee a spot in the arena since it only seats 500 or so) and start making your way over to the cramped little area on the side opposite the stands. It's kids only, so you'll have to show them where it is and have them move their way up to the front on their own. There's no time to be bashful, and some of the local kids will have the jump on it since they've likely done it a few times before.

The doors to T-Mobile open an hour and 15 minutes prior to the puck dropping, and immediately prior to that, the Knight Line dummers, Chance, the broadcasters, and a decent contingent of fans march to the front doors of T-Mobile. They leave from around the front doors of Nine Fine Irishmen in front of the NYNY. If you'd like to participate in that, you'll want to show up around 90 minutes prior to puck drop. I personally think it's cooler to watch them march by and jump into the line following them, but you may have a shot of a little Chance time if you show up at the beginning of the march when they're getting everything organized.

You can go all the way down to the glass for pre-game skate regardless of your tickets, but again, the earlier you can get there, the better. If you follow the crowd from the march into the arena, you should be right on time. The Knights practice on the side of the arena with the castle, and if you can get closer to the tunnels (the bench/upside down center ice logo side) it seems like a better shot of getting a puck. If the goal is to just get close and watch them practice, there's a lot less of a crowd on the endboards, plus you'll get to see more Fleury/Subban.

If the weather is nice and you don't mind hanging out a little longer than normal post-game, you can walk along the parking garage toward Tropicana Ave and stop at the little driveway and see some of the players leaving to go home in their vehicles. It's less exciting than you may think, though.

The Park area outside of the arena will have free games like cornhole, giant Jenga, bubble hockey, etc. for free, and there's usually a DJ playing music to get everyone hyped up. However, there's a decent amount of pre-game bar activity, so you'll likely want to hang out on the side closest to Park Avenue.

If you're there for a few days, regular practices are also always at City National, and they'll likely have those the Monday prior to the game and the Wednesday after, so you can get an even better shot at getting some player face time for the kiddie. You can grab some food at the pizza place and make a fairly inexpensive lunch activity out of it. Summerlin may look far from where you're likely staying on the map, but it's a fairly quick drive. Plus, if the weather is nice, you can hit Red Rock Canyon afterward (10 minutes further down Charleston) and make a half-day out of it.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and I'm sure the other folks here will chime in with some more suggestions.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
FWIW, I haven't been able to get down to the glass for warmups in the "club" area (think center ice, unless you have tickets in that section).

Guys start to up their game faces on at morning skate so might not be as amenable to make themselves available for autographs.

Bring a sign saying you're from Washington state and you might have a better chance of getting on the Knightron (main video display) and/or TV.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Also be prepared for the adults during the pregame warmups who act like giant children trying to squeeze out actual kids & grab all the pucks. It's actually really embarrassing & kinda funny when viewed from afar. But I digress...

Welcome to the site & we hope you stick around. :thumbu: These guys have led you in the right direction with their all of their advice.

artificialintuition

Nov 21, 2017
Hello, fellow Washingtonian.

If you don't mind driving up to Summerlin and visiting City National Arena, that's where the Knights do their morning skate and practice. It's also where you've got the greatest chance to have your 5 year old get in close proximity with the players. City National is a pretty easy place to get to, and once practice is winding down, there's an area between the rink and the locker room tunnel where the kids can stand near the barrier and often get autographs/to meet the players. There's no real scheduled player availability, just get there in time for morning skate (depending on how the team is doing, you may have to show up early to guarantee a spot in the arena since it only seats 500 or so) and start making your way over to the cramped little area on the side opposite the stands. It's kids only, so you'll have to show them where it is and have them move their way up to the front on their own. There's no time to be bashful, and some of the local kids will have the jump on it since they've likely done it a few times before.

This is a very good suggestion. Unless things have changed, your best bet is to enter the practice facility through the door closest to the shop in CNA (this is the NW corner of the rink). They will most likely have a roped-off line and a security guard.

You can watch the practice while in line.

Normal policy is to have a few players stop by for autographs as they step off the ice. They'll sign for a few minutes, then another player or 2 will come by. You can't decide you don't like that particular player and then hold a place in line -- you shuffle forward and get it done. I suppose you could get back onto the end of the line and repeat. A few players do step off the ice early, so signing will usually begin before the end of practice.

Depending on the day, you could have a line that is 10-15 kids, or it could wrap nearly 1/2-way around the ice (e.g., playoffs last year).

The good news: Your kid is 5 and no one will have a problem with you standing next to him/her during the entire process (incl practice).

Yes, there are clearly parents who are using their kids as pawns. No, this does not seem to be the majority of them.

On a few occasions I've seen Fleury come out and present a stick to a kid near the back of the line, even when he wasn't signing.

The handler they had (have?) is pretty strict: she keeps the line moving, limits conversation, makes sure you only sign one thing, etc.

FWIW, I haven't been able to get down to the glass for warmups in the "club" area (think center ice, unless you have tickets in that section).
Just go down in one of the adjacent sections, then move to the middle. Most people don't want to stand in the middle as then they are behind the benches or penalty boxes -- which is more removed from the action and less chance for player interaction.

Guys start to up their game faces on at morning skate so might not be as amenable to make themselves available for autographs.
This is true. Better odds for having more players sign on non-game days.

Also be prepared for the adults during the pregame warmups who act like giant children trying to squeeze out actual kids & grab all the pucks. It's actually really embarrassing & kinda funny when viewed from afar. But I digress...

This is true. One more than one occasion I witnessed grown men literally ripping pucks from children's (<10 y.o.) hands. That said, I have also witnessed adults giving pucks to children (and have given a few myself), which is as it should be.

This behavior was particularly crazy during the playoffs -- it felt like catching a puck was not about the memory but more about getting home and listing it on eBay. Each to his own, I suppose. I'll still hand off pucks to nice, respectful kids. It makes a meaningful impression on them.

Mike The Knight

Oct 30, 2018
Folks, I can’t tell you how much I appreciate the insight. We’re definitely hitting practice and pregame early as many of you suggested. If anything new pops up or if you hear of an event, Chance/player appearances or scheduling details I will monitor this site. Thanks again and Go Knights!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad