First stab at this 2020 Mock Draft

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
Just doing this for fun I've had the time from not working like a mad man on film sets to watch and read about prospects. I made the unbias attempt to think how each GM would draft.

I've never done a mock draft for public viewing before. I did a little write up mostly for the first 15 picks and a few remarks for others. Hope you like who your team picks. If not oh well!

Order from Cap Friendly

1) NYR
- Alexis Lafrenière
Just a complete player in all levels. New York is going to be scary good.

2) LA - Tim Stutzle
Just having the option of putting Stutzle on the wing or centre could be enough to put him over Byfield. Very dynamic player that would excel in the LA organization.

3) OTT - Quinton Byfield
This would be the dream scenario for Ottawa. Getting a coveted 6’4 center with great hands and great speed is what Ottawa needs in their rebuild. He will need a season or 2 in the OHL.

4) DET - Jake Sanderson
Sanderson at 4? Yeah this would be a what the heck kind of moment like Seider was. Sanderson has been skyrocketing up the draft rankings. He’s a high IQ player who makes a great first pass can lockdown in his own zone. It would be very smart of Yzerman to setup his blue line for the future. Also seeing how past successful teams have won the Stanley Cup with a strong backend it's a no brainer that Yzerman is a smart guy to see this.

5) OTT - Lucas Raymond
Tell me if you haven’t heard this before. The Senators are proud to select from Frolunda Alfredsson, Karlsson and now Raymond! This would be such a Sens pick and a player that will become the best player from this draft. Buried in a deep team Raymond was used sparingly. But when he was on the ice he made an impact.

6) ANA - Jamie Drysdale
Anaheim goes with the best offensively skilled dman in the draft. They stock up with a future QB in their backend.

7) NJD - Alexander Holtz
The Devils go with an elite shooter. He gets a bad rep for people thinking he’s just one dimensional but I feel he has more to his game and will develop into a complete winger. Devils will be so happy with Holtz.

8) BUF - Marco Rossi
Marco Rossi is one of my favourite prospects in this draft. Him sliding in behind Eichel would be unbelievable. High IQ player with an unbelievable work ethic. He makes everyone around him better. Sabres fans would be very happy.

9) MIN - Anton Lundell
Lundell would fit well into the Wild scheme. He’s a complete center that plays a 200ft game. There is nothing too fancy with him but he gets the job done.

10) WPG - Seth Jarvis
Local boy gets his name called. Jarvis is an elite winger with slick moves and can stickhandle insanely well. He would fit great with the Jets.

11) NSH - Cole Perfetti
The fall of Perfetti has ended. How the heck do the Predators get this luck to get a highly skilled player like Perfetti in their laps. Perfetti has very high IQ with a lethal shot.

12) FLA - Kaiden Guhle
Florida needs some help in their backend. They go with Guhle who is solid in his own end and plays a very safe no non sense game.

13) CAR - Yaroslav Askarov
What more does a well built prospect team need? How about a future number 1 goalie. This would be insane if Carolina drafts Askarov and he develops into the next Price. Carolina will be set for a long time. Excited to see their future!

14) EDM - Dylan Holloway
Holloway would be a perfect fit for the Oilers. They have been missing that player that goes hard to the net that has some grit. He can skate really well, very smart player with great hands in tight places.

15) TOR - Braden Schneider
Schneider is a solid player to add to the Leafs organization. He will probably develop into a second pairing and be a shutdown type player that the Leafs really need.

16) MON - Jack Quinn
He may get drafted earlier but I just couldn't fit him in anywhere. Maybe the Oilers. But he would do wonders with the Habs.

17) CHI - Dawson Mercer

18) NJD - Noel Gunler
Needs more time to develop and mature himself and his game

19) CGY - Connor Zary
I just have a feeling Calgary will love him

20) NJD - Rodion Amirov
Not rush him and let him develop in the KHL

21) OTT - Jacob Perreault
Perfect player for Ottawa to target

22) CBJ - Brendan Brisson

23) NYR - Hendrix Lapierre

24) DAL - John-Jason Peterka

25) VGK - Jan Mysak

26) PHI - Justin Barron

27) WSH - Tyson Foerster
Would do well with the Caps

28) SJ - Mavrik Bourque

29) COL - Ridly Greig
Adding a feisty player like Ridly would be a great move for Sakic

30) STL - Lukas Reichel

31) ANA - Ty Smilanic

Last edited:
Reactions: bl02 and OB5

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Just as a quick heads up the Devils, as of right now, own picks 18 and 20 and the Flames have pick 19.

Like the mock overall

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I really think Devils might take Rossi over Holtz. Yes we'd have a glut of centers but we can just do what team Canada did when all their fowards were centers and move them to the wing. It worked for team Canada so why not the Devils?:)

spfan

May 4, 2009
FLA needs defense, but I think it's just too much of a reach at that point.

Jarvis is solid, but I think WPG would be crazy to pass up Perfetti for Jarvis.

Quinn would fit EDM more and is the better player.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If Jack Quinn is on the board and the Pens pass him to go for Braden Schneider then I am flying to the States, I am stealing Lemieux's identity, and I'm going to use it to fire Rutherford and every single last member of the scouting department.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017

yup, no chance a 52 goal scoring RW in Jack Quinn get's passed over when this is exactly what the Oilers need, and i doubt they are going to wait 4 years for Dylan Holloway to finish college when a guy like Quinn could be in the NHL much sooner! o_O

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
yup, no chance a 52 goal scoring RW in Jack Quinn get's passed over when this is exactly what the Oilers need, and i doubt they are going to wait 4 years for Dylan Holloway to finish college when a guy like Quinn could be in the NHL much sooner! o_O

Not attempting to make an argument for Holloway over Quinn but Holloway isn't going to play out his college career and he already has 1 year of college hockey under his belt. Obviously dependant on the status of the college season but I could easily see him turning pro after 1 more year of college hockey. Same goes for Quinn, one more year of junior and he will be in the AHL. I'd actually wager on Holloway making the jump to the NHL first given his style of play.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016

Everyone just looks at stats and that can be a problem when you aren't looking at the complete package aka Brady Tkachuk. Everyone was so focused on his stats in college because he didn't produce so much. They missed what he as a player can bring to the team. (not comparing him to Brady). Holloway is a top 6 kind of player that coaches trust with getting the job done. He goes hard into those board battles. Great in the cycle play because he's hard to throw off the puck. He can kill penalties. Is a great passer. Has high IQ. A very accurate shot and will get those greasy dirty goals in front of the net. As an Oilers fan as well I know that the team could use a sniper. But Holloway to me has the complete game that would compliment McDavid/Draisaitl. He doesn't have skating issues and has the speed to keep up.

It's all preference but to me I think the Oilers should be looking in this direction and finding a solid smart player to play on McDavid or Draisaitl line for years to come.

Last edited:
Reactions: ManByng

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Everyone just looks at stats and that can be a problem when you aren't looking at the complete package aka Brady Tkachuk. Everyone was so focused on his stats in college because he didn't produce so much. They missed what he as a player can bring to the team. (not comparing him to Brady). Holloway is a top 6 kind of player that coaches trust with getting the job done. He goes hard into those board battles. Great in the cycle play because he's hard to throw off the puck. He can kill penalties. Is a great passer. Has high IQ. A very accurate shot and will get those greasy dirty goals in front of the net. As an Oilers fan as well I know that the team could use a sniper. But Holloway to me has the complete game that would compliment McDavid/Draisaitl. He doesn't have skating issues and has the speed to keep up.

It's all preference but to me I think the Oilers should be looking in this direction and finding a solid smart player to play on McDavid or Draisaitl line for years to come.

valid point ! if Holloway didn't spend more than a year or two in college then yes he'd be a good Oiler pick ! i always assume though, right or wrong, that if a player is committed to college that they usually follow through with the whole 4 years but perhaps not? if i'm Holloway, as soon as i'm NHL ready, i'm going and college can wait !

spfan

May 4, 2009

I'm not looking at stats. I had Tkachuk ranked high in his draft year. Holloway to the Oilers would be a 3C in my opinion. They need wingers for McDavid and Draisaitl. And Quinn also isn't just a scorer or point producer either. He's also a two-way forward.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I could see holtz falling and still being there at the Edmonton pick. I wonder who they would take between Holtz and Quinn? The pure sniper or the more all rounder?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Pretty solid mock draft. I don't like Lapierre for the Rangers 2nd pick though and I'm pretty high on the Germans Reichel and Peterka--particularly Reichel.

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
I'm not looking at stats. I had Tkachuk ranked high in his draft year. Holloway to the Oilers would be a 3C in my opinion. They need wingers for McDavid and Draisaitl. And Quinn also isn't just a scorer or point producer either. He's also a two-way forward.
I think he would be better on the wing. I just think the game Holloway can bring would be far more valuable to the Oilers. They need a skilled grit guy to play with them. If you watch his game footage you can see how smart he is with his passes and what he does on the ice. Not saying Quinn wouldn't be a nice add to the Oilers. I've watched him enough in Ottawa. Just my thoughts of what they could be looking at.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I could see holtz falling and still being there at the Edmonton pick. I wonder who they would take between Holtz and Quinn? The pure sniper or the more all rounder?
Holtz Holtz and more Holtz unless they don't have a semi competent Swedish scout. Holtz is the best goal scorer in the draft, more complete rounded player, and plays in a harder league

Signed,
An avid OHL fan

Reactions: ManByng

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Jets aren't taking a winger at 10 no matter where he's from, unless Lafreniere magically drops that far.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
Really can’t see Detroit passing up on Drysdale, an offensive d-man to be on that right side with two big d-man with Hronek and Seider, you got the left side covered with I would say NHL talent maybe not great talent but at least NHL guys, you just can’t pass up on Drysdale. Nashville will not get Perfetti even though I would be super happy. Lastly, I think Florida, yes is desperate for defenders, but if you take Guhle at 12 that’s a reach, if I’m Florida I move down, get like 3 picks for the 12th and grab some defense-man for some lower picks. If you don’t move down, just take a really good forward who’s available.

Reactions: Pepe Cahones

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
Really can’t see Detroit passing up on Drysdale, an offensive d-man to be on that right side with two big d-man with Hronek and Seider, you got the left side covered with I would say NHL talent maybe not great talent but at least NHL guys, you just can’t pass up on Drysdale. Nashville will not get Perfetti even though I would be super happy. Lastly, I think Florida, yes is desperate for defenders, but if you take Guhle at 12 that’s a reach, if I’m Florida I move down, get like 3 picks for the 12th and grab some defense-man for some lower picks. If you don’t move down, just take a really good forward who’s available.

It's a possibility they could. A team could have them ranked just about the same and decide just to go for Sanderson instead. Their left side needs a boost so it's in the realm of possibility. Do you think anyone had them pegged for Seider a few months from the draft? If you say yeah you are lying to yourself.
Crazy things have happen in the draft where players you thought would be in the top 10 drop a bunch (Barzal). It's such a crapshoot for high end dman then a team may reach. But yeah I agree they may move back to pick up a couple more assets. It's all for fun anyways and doing a different draft than the everyone else is good.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
It's a possibility they could. A team could have them ranked just about the same and decide just to go for Sanderson instead. Their left side needs a boost so it's in the realm of possibility. Do you think anyone had them pegged for Seider a few months from the draft? If you say yeah you are lying to yourself.
Crazy things have happen in the draft where players you thought would be in the top 10 drop a bunch (Barzal). It's such a crapshoot for high end dman then a team may reach. But yeah I agree they may move back to pick up a couple more assets. It's all for fun anyways and doing a different draft than the everyone else is good.
True, but IMO Drysdale is easily the best D-man in the draft, not saying that’s it not possible for them to take them, I just think personally if I were Detroit, Drysdale is a can’t miss right handed offensive d-man who Detroit definitely lacks.

Cholowski-Seider
McIsaac-Drysdale
Johansson-Hronek

That’s a solid future d-core IMO if they can all develop nicely.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I don't know maybe. I just see Jarvis as the better fit. Thanks for the feedback!

I don't see the need for the Jets to take another winger when they already have Laine, Ehlers, and Connor, meanwhile the C hole is so big they have Wheeler playing there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->