OT: First snow of the year in Montreal

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
Just making this thread so people become aware of what is coming up for tomorrow.

We are expecting our first significant snow of the year starting tonight. Environment Canada is suggesting 10-15 cm of snow until early morning. Then the precipitations should change to freezing rain, and all rain for the afternoon. Visibility in the snow could get low as winds should be important, especially during nighttime.

Basically it is going to be hell during rush hour Monday morning so take your usual precautions to stay safe on the roads or not get late at work. Hopefully all of you drivers have winter tires on.

EDIT: Obviously, quantities may vary as tracking these systems can be difficult (boundaries between snow and rain)

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Soon enough winter will no longer exist :shakehead

Well according to the scientific community once Antarctica will have melted by 20% all the fresh water will move up to the gulf stream and create a worldwide imbalance in world weather, Europe will start to freeze up since the Gulf stream is what is keeping it warm, the amazonian forests ( called the world's lungs ) will dry up and eventually become a desert while the rest of the world will experience extreme weather that will paralyze most of society.

PricePkPatch*

What I don't like about the 1st snow in Montreal, it's that every driver seemed to have forgotten over the course of summer how to drive in snow.

People take stupid risks, dangerous maneuvers and don't account for the snow's impact on the driving condition.

PricePkPatch*

Well according to the scientific community once Antarctica will have melted by 20% all the fresh water will move up to the gulf stream and create a worldwide imbalance in world weather, Europe will start to freeze up since the Gulf stream is what is keeping it warm, the amazonian forests ( called the world's lungs ) will dry up and eventually become a desert while the rest of the world will experience extreme weather that will paralyze most of society.

Mad Max!! WOOOO!!! :handclap:

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
What I don't like about the 1st snow in Montreal, it's that every driver seemed to have forgotten over the course of summer how to drive in snow.

People take stupid risks, dangerous maneuvers and don't account for the snow's impact on the driving condition.

Hence why I made this thread. I think it is of my duty to warn people about impacts of the weather. People need to be careful tomorrow.

EC bumped up snow accumulations to 15 cm. Seems like a lot to me but these storms are unpredictable. Tomorrow morning should bring us a surprise.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004

If only people at least installed their winter tires BEFORE the first snow, things would be a lot simpler, and safer, on the roads... although I also completely agree that everyone drives like they've never driven in snow before for the first few weeks.

We already had snow. About 1-2cm two weeks ago. Almost all of it was melted by the end of the day and by mid-day the next day, the ground was cleared.
I'm in Blainville, snow stayed on the ground for a few days here... 3-4 I believe.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Rain and plus 6 is not a snowstorm.
Depends where you live. Here on the north shore forecast is a AX of +2C... which means probably between -1 and 1. I don't think we'll get much rain.

I'll give you that 15cm is bare minimum to be called a snowstorm though.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
Depends where you live. Here on the north shore forecast is a AX of +2C... which means probably between -1 and 1. I don't think we'll get much rain.

I'll give you that 15cm is bare minimum to be called a snowstorm though.

There are many criteria to define a snowstorm. In this case, we could have 10-15 cm of snow in a relatively short period of time followed by a period of freezing rain. These warnings are there to warn people from the upcoming weather.

In this case, the bulk of the snow will fall during the night. This will make the commute very difficult tomorrow morning. If you add the freezing rain then conditions will get worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad