First Round Review

winterhawkssupporter

Dec 26, 2022
The first round of the playoffs has passed. It was an interesting round to say the least, and i'm excited to see what the second round holds. Onward with the review!

Winnipeg (1) VS Medicine Hat (8) (4-0)
Not a surprise here. Winnipeg looked like the powerhouse they are and put the Tigers to sleep pretty easily. As a Sabres fan, Savoie looks pretty damn good right now. Can't wait to see what he does during the rest of the playoffs.

Red Deer (2) VS Calgary (7) (4-1)
Easy win for Red Deer, most likely the only team that can compete with Winnipeg in the Eastern Conference. Little surprised Calgary even managed to pull off one win, kudos to them.

Moose Jaw (3) VS Lethbridge (6) (4-0)
I expected a little more fight from Lethbridge, but they continue their mediocre play they've had for a decade plus. The Moose Jaw VS Red Deer series is shaping up to be a good one.

Regina Bedard's (6) VS Saskatoon (3) (4-3)
What a series. What hasn't already been said about Bedard? He is incredible. 20 points in seven games. Absolute domination. It's sad to see his playoff run ended so soon, especially in the way it did. If only he had a defense and goaltending that didn't let him down every five minutes.

Seattle (1) VS Kelowna (8) (4-0)
On the surface, this seems like an easy sweep for a team oozing with NHL talent. But look past the numbers and you will see a troubling problem facing Seattle. They don't know how to play a complete hockey game. Yes, they are able to score a large amount of goals within a short amount of time, but there were large portions of time where Kelowna controlled play and got the upper hand on the T Birds. If they play like that against Kamloops or even Prince George they may be in for an upset.

Kamloops (2) VS Vancouver (7) (4-0)
Well that was quick. I didn't have Vancouver pegged for an upset, but I thought there was a chance they could give the Blazers a run for their money. Safe to say they didn't. Kamloops looks like the best team in the West right now. As a Winterhawks fan, I don't have much hope to beat them.

Portland (3) VS Everett (6) (4-1)
This has been a pleasant surprise for me. After the late season collapse, I was expecting a first round upset, especially against a team that had demolished them 10-3 a few weeks before this match up. While the lack of NHL talent is apparent, a combination of solid goaltending and productive special teams has carried the Hawks to a comfortable series win. All hail the Spoon.

Prince George (4) VS Tri Cities (5) (4-2)
One of the biggest series wins in Prince George history. They looked great all series long, boasting a talented offense that scores at will. I'm excited to see what they can do against a strong Seattle team.

BE Friend

Jul 16, 2021
Loops should dominate the Hawks. Thought EVT would be the first round upsetter.
Zell playing 30+ mins a game is unfair.
4-0 KAM

Cougs might snag game one from the extra layoff time for SEA.
Their top ranked PP firing way below.
5 for SEA

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Loops should dominate the Hawks. Thought EVT would be the first round upsetter.
Zell playing 30+ mins a game is unfair.
4-0 KAM

Cougs might snag game one from the extra layoff time for SEA.
Their top ranked PP firing way below.
5 for SEA
I feel Kamloops SHOULD win this upcoming series VS Portland but never ever count out the Winterhawks... They are always a solid team in the playoffs. I really think this series will go 6 or 7 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad