Pre-Game Talk: First Round Preview? Leafs @ Boston HNIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
and you can do both, ya know.

Can you explain to me how your going to do that when our sandpaper guys are Martin and Polak? Because last I looked when we replaced those two we played the best 3 games of the season consecutively

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Can you explain to me how your going to do that when our sandpaper guys are Martin and Polak? Because last I looked when we replaced those two we played the best 3 games of the season consecutively
basically this. Having toughness in our lineup is a good thing, but only if our tough players can actually play hockey.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Liljegren isn't ready, at best he forces his way onto the Leafs roster out of camp next season

Actually there could be a lot of reasons Lilejgren is not in the Marlies lineup, Nielsen-Gudbranson (seasonal debut), or he could be injured, or have the flu, any number of things

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Actually there could be a lot of reasons Lilejgren is not in the Marlies lineup Nielsen-Gudbranson (seasonal debut), or he could be injured, or have the flu, any number of things

He's been scratched and banged up a fair bit this season

Kids great but we're looking after him this season which is an intelligent thing with an 18 year old defender in the AHL

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
He's been scratched and banged up a fair bit this season

Kids great but we're looking after him this season which is an intelligent thing with an 18 year old defender in the AHL

I agree but with Dermott and Holl looking like keepers, Lilejgren and Valiev could get a look see, especially if any more of the Leafs D are down with the Bug that seems to be going through the Team, I'm sure they won't stick but there probably won't be any trades to bolster the D, so it's a remote possibility Lilejgren may get a chance on the 3d pairing with limited minutes.

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

well that's not the point i'm making. you (and a lot of others here) tend to dismiss toughness completely. if you want to say Polak and Martin isn't good fine, but when you say that you'd rather skill than sandpaper you tend to infer that you can be a skilled team that can play a rougher style of play.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Not being pessimistic but cautiously optimistic. We have been playing well recently but we beat teams that didn't put their best foot forward so to speak. Not to take anything away from the buds but DAL, NYI and NYR didn't really play that good.

We'll see Saturday if Leafs were/are really that good and improved or that other three teams we recently played didn't put up a good fight.

No Marchand so that should help I guess..

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
well that's not the point i'm making. you (and a lot of others here) tend to dismiss toughness completely. if you want to say Polak and Martin isn't good fine, but when you say that you'd rather skill than sandpaper you tend to infer that you can be a skilled team that can play a rougher style of play.

Gritty and useful-Kadri
Gritty and bad-Martin/Polak

If you want a philosophical argument about grit I'm more than happy to get into one but until Martin and Polak can actually do something beneficial for the team in other areas the whole we need grit narrative doesn't carry a lot of water

The idea is to play to your strengths, grit isn't one of them but skill actually is so use it

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Gritty and useful-Kadri
Gritty and bad-Martin/Polak

If you want a philosophical argument about grit I'm more than happy to get into one but until Martin and Polak can actually do something beneficial for the team in other areas the whole we need grit narrative doesn't carry a lot of water

The idea is to play to your strengths, grit isn't one of them but skill actually is so use it

as I said. I never said Polak/Martin would equal that.
all i said is that you make it sound that playing a tough gritty game isn't as good as a skilled one. that's how you and others come off as, so all I'm saying is you can do both.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
as I said. I never said Polak/Martin would equal that.
all i said is that you make it sound that playing a tough gritty game isn't as good as a skilled one. that's how you and others come off as, so all I'm saying is you can do both.

Not with our roster you can't Daisy

You could probably make a strong argument that getting some wouldn't be a bad idea but we don't have any good enough to play without hurting the team

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Holl will probably be out.

Gardiner - Hainsey
Dermott - Zaitsev
Borgman - Carrick

ummm.... Holl played second pairing with Dermott and went on PK

Hainsey Zaitsev
Dermott Holl
Gardiner Carrick

PP1: Gardiner
PP2: Zaitsev/Dermott

PK1: Hainsey Zaitsev
PK2: Dermott Holl

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
We are the world we are the children!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Aaaaaaaaa we'll gon win this one again! Without Marchand they are ours! Bergeron is one fine dogg, but we cool. We got the grit with kadri, martin and polak so therefore we shall pound these fools to the ground. Real hard. Heavy game with hits and blocking that thang. Hainsey back is solid too. Makes our rear ends more flexable.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Ill take three from Matthews

c7NJRa2.gif

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
ummm.... Holl played second pairing with Dermott and went on PK

Hainsey Zaitsev
Dermott Holl
Gardiner Carrick

PP1: Gardiner
PP2: Zaitsev/Dermott

PK1: Hainsey Zaitsev
PK2: Dermott Holl
I think Holl deservs another game too but I could see him being sent down still

Edit: also pretty sure Gardiner has averaged the most ice time every game since Rielly went down so I very much doubt he would be suddenly demoted to 3rd pairing minutes

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Bruins fans seem to think Rielly is back tonight, doe anyone know if that is true? if so that is fantastic that means this team is completely healthy and that would huge considering Boston is without Marchand and possibly Macavoy

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Bruins fans seem to think Rielly is back tonight, doe anyone know if that is true? if so that is fantastic that means this team is completely healthy and that would huge considering Boston is without Marchand and possibly Macavoy
Last I heard they think there is a decent chance he will be back tonight but nothing is confirmed.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I think Holl deservs another game too but I could see him being sent down still

Edit: also pretty sure Gardiner has averaged the most ice time every game since Rielly went down so I very much doubt he would be suddenly demoted to 3rd pairing minutes

One of Borgman and Carrick is the odd man out IMO, both don’t PK while dermott and Holl were on the PK.

Gards would play 2nd pairing mins I guess.

Last 2 games pairings were

Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Holl
Borgman Carrick

It may be the case that Babs wants to keep running

Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Holl

So borgman or Carrick sits for Hainsey; once Reilly is back then both birgman and Carrick are out I guess.

Borgman is waiver eligible so goes down, Carrick scratched.

If Babs really wants to play Polak then Holl will go down I guess

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I'm hoping we get mo and hainsey back.

Getting excited, this city is beauty..hoping the game will be the same.

Scowering over these board to hopefully get info if they are back in

Gardiner - Hainsey
Rielly - Zeitsev
Dermott - Holl

Would be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->