Jul 13, 2008
According to SCS:

41.3% Montreal
27.5% Boston
12.9% Winnipeg
4.7% Carolina
3.5% Toronto

I like us playing the Jets.

...which is quite unlikely. Out of Montreal and Boston, that's actually a tough choice. I'd lean towards Montreal, but their speed is definitely a concern. Maybe giving this Hoffman fellow a shot is a good move - people say he's a speed demon so why not give him a couple of games with Alfie?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
With the odds of playing Montreal, I hope everyone is taking note and buying their PO tickets ASAP. Gotta keep habs fans out of the arena. I'm sure it won't be much of an issue but nonetheless we fans should try to do our part.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
My top choice would be Toronto. Those 4-whatever playoff defeats against them are something I'd like to see erased.

Rangers kinda scare me a bit. They've been a Jeckel and Hyde team this year. It almost feels like they're not taking the regular season as seriously this year and are just doing enough to get into the playoffs where they might just turn on the jets.

Montreal - no way! You skate within 2 feet of any of those smurfs and they fall over and draw penalty after penalty. No way we get past them.

Boston - they look so talentless and beatable whenever I watch them, but somehow they're Ottawa's kryptonite. I'd love to meet and beat them just to get the monkey off our back, but I doubt it would happen this season.

Winnipeg - nah. They are a sentimental favorite. Love their fans. Wouldn't want to be the 'bad guy' team in that matchup. Too much bad karma from the rest of Canada if we met.

Pittsburgh - hell no. Like Montreal, they get all the calls. The favored son of the NHL will not lose in the first round.

NJ, Islanders, Carolina - meh. Don't care either way for watching those matchups.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
...which is quite unlikely. Out of Montreal and Boston, that's actually a tough choice. I'd lean towards Montreal, but their speed is definitely a concern. Maybe giving this Hoffman fellow a shot is a good move - people say he's a speed demon so why not give him a couple of games with Alfie?
I think those odds are realistically a bit low.

All it would take for us to play Winnipeg is for them to hold on to their spot as SE leaders, and us to drop to 6th. That could be at the hands of the Maple Leafs, or just as likely the Rangers who SHOULD get hot before the end of the season. I guess the Devils as well, but I don't think they'll do well.

All I'm saying is that it's not far-fetched for us to play the Jets.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
If we had Spezz, Karlsson, Michalek, Cowen and Anderson, we'd be fighting for 1st in the east right now.

Good things are on the way boys. Very good things.

dan1el

Oct 16, 2011
I'm begging for a Toronto hotstreak to land us a date with the winner of the SE.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Really looking forward to seeing what these young kids can bring in the playoffs. Hoping Zib or Silf have got another gear for us to witness.

source

Jul 13, 2008
I think those odds are realistically a bit low.

All it would take for us to play Winnipeg is for them to hold on to their spot as SE leaders, and us to drop to 6th. That could be at the hands of the Maple Leafs, or just as likely the Rangers who SHOULD get hot before the end of the season. I guess the Devils as well, but I don't think they'll do well.

All I'm saying is that it's not far-fetched for us to play the Jets.

This smells like last year, when our opponent would have been Boston or New York.

People were saying NY was the better option 'cause Boston has our number, but then others were saying that if we slip to 8th and play NY that means we suck. I think that logic is Pejorative Slured when your playoff position depends on 3 games left to play in the season, but if we slip to 6th from where we are now, that may signal a problem. We've got a comfortable lead up on 6th.

But hey, maybe the Leafs are actually a good team, will play lights out, and take that 5th spot from us without us having to suck horribly.

EDIT: Or maybe Montreal keeps losing and we take 4th?

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
This smells like last year, when our opponent would have been Boston or New York.

People were saying NY was the better option 'cause Boston has our number, but then others were saying that if we slip to 8th and play NY that means we suck. I think that logic is Pejorative Slured when your playoff position depends on 3 games left to play in the season, but if we slip to 6th from where we are now, that may signal a problem. We've got a comfortable lead up on 6th.

But hey, maybe the Leafs are actually a good team, will play lights out, and take that 5th spot from us without us having to suck horribly.

Bleh. Much rather go for the division. It's unlikely, but still possible, and results in much better vibes for the playoffs than slipping to 6th.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

You call a 2 point lead comfortable?
We have one game in hand but still...

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB

Yeah because that 2 point lead is huge...

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I'd be down to go up against the "best" team in our conference. Being the underdogs has served us well the past few seasons.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
There's only one team that can beat the Pittsburgh Penguins in my honest opinion.

And that's themselves.

Or more specifically, MA Fleury.

The Penguins will not go far if he repeats last years first round performance. At that rate, they'd need to put up 6GPG to go anywhere. MA Fleury plays like an average starting goalie, and it's going to be tough for them to not win the cup.

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
There's only one team that can beat the Pittsburgh Penguins in my honest opinion.

And that's themselves.

Or more specifically, MA Fleury.

The Penguins will not go far if he repeats last years first round performance. At that rate, they'd need to put up 6GPG to go anywhere. MA Fleury plays like an average starting goalie, and it's going to be tough for them to not win the cup.

I still remember his goal in the juniors.
:laugh:

I know he's a won a cup, but man, was that ever ugly.

koreaboy

Oct 14, 2010
No. Just, no. Don't start playing this game. It's a losing enterprise. We want to make the playoffs and be playing well in the 8-10 games going into the playoffs. It'd be nice if we could avoid Boston or the pens, other than that, it doesn't matter who we play and we shouldn't be spending a second of our time hoping for one opponent or another. You always get burned hoping for one opponent.

Volt

Aug 25, 2008
Toronto
Or to see Cooke get beat up twice per game? :nod:

Even more reason to face off the Pens! If this team was fully healthy we could have taken them on which is why I look forward to next season and hopefully *knock on wood* the injuries do not pile up like they have this season.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
If we had Spezz, Karlsson, Michalek, Cowen and Anderson, we'd be fighting for 1st in the east right now.

Good things are on the way boys. Very good things.

We'd definitely be 1st in the NE and probably favourites along with Pittsburgh and Chicago. I honestly still think we are heavily favoured against almost any match-up. Boston has just gotten lucky against us this year. Montreal is playing over their heads. We can beat both of those teams with our current line-ups. We suck against Carolina for some reason so they're the only team I really don't want to play. I also don't know how anyone can hope to play Toronto. This is their 1st year back in the post-season after a long absence. As nice as it would be to knock them out I under no circumstance want to be knocked out by them. I can guarantee they will be getting PP's out of their ears this spring.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Pittsburgh - hell no. Like Montreal, they get all the calls. The favored son of the NHL will not lose in the first round.

1) They are currently -4 mins in terms of PP minus PK time, so no they don't get all the calls
2) Just like the last two years, eh?

I want us to play Pittsburgh, but that would mean sliding down to 8th spot, which I don't like.

Anyways, I'm good with any team besides Boston and maybe, Toronto. I don't know what it is about the Leafs, but we never seem to play well against them.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
1) They are currently -4 mins in terms of PP minus PK time, so no they don't get all the calls
2) Just like the last two years, eh?

I want us to play Pittsburgh, but that would mean sliding down to 8th spot, which I don't like.

Anyways, I'm good with any team besides Boston and maybe, Toronto. I don't know what it is about the Leafs, but we never seem to play well against them.

We get it. You love the Pens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->