First round goalies; last 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

CuSa_1

Feb 15, 2004
If there were a draft of all the goalies drafted in the 1st round over the past five years, how do you think it would play out?

My top 5 would be...

Kari Lehtonen
Marek Schwarz
Rick Dipietro
Marc-Andre Fleury
Pascal Leclaire

Others: Al Montoya Dan Blackburn Brent Krahn Devan Dubnyk Cam Ward Hannu Toivonen, Cory Schneider, Jason Bacashihua, and Adam Munro

Last edited:

silver_made*

Lehtonen
Fleury
Dipietro

(Blackburn)
Toivonen
Schwarz
Ward

Bacashihua
Dubnyk
Montoya
Leclaire
Schneider

the rest are non-existent IMO

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Kari Lehtonen
Marc-Andre Fleury
Rick Dipietro
Marek Schwarz
Hannu Toivonen
Cam Ward
Al Montoya
Jason Bacashihua
Pascal Leclaire
Devan Dubnyk
Cory Schneider
Brent Krahn
Adam Munro
Dan Blackburn (injury)

I would be tempted to put Dipietro ahead of Fleury because he's already a starter. Lehtonen I have no doubt will go on to do great things, while Fleury has the same potential but is more of a risk IMO. Cam Ward has impressed me this year, being named the rookie of the month recently and among the league leaders in his rookie AHL campain. Krahn is having a better season this year but is still a question mark, while Munro was lucky to be a first rounder in the first place.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
nomorekids said:
wow, brian finley really fell off the radar, huh?

it's a shame, because he's been pretty outstanding for milwaukee the past two years :banghead:

Finley was drafted six drafts ago, while the thread is for the last five years.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
If JDD had been drafted a few spots earlier, I would put him in there somewhere.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
nomorekids said:
i was thinking five years...as in...99-04(last draft) but..fair enough :) :innocent:

Ummm that's 6 years...

And even if '99 draft was included, I don't think he would be in the top5, maybe not even in the top10

Lehtonen
DiPietro
Fleury
Toivonen
Bryzgalov
Schwartz
Leclaire
Oullet

The rest are IMHO one step down from those.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i think people are underrating blackburn a little bit here...he had a ton of skill and the mental game to be a great goalie

stupid injury

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
Levitate said:
i think people are underrating blackburn a little bit here...he had a ton of skill and the mental game to be a great goalie

stupid injury

Why are they underrating?

The question is, how would these goalies go, if they were all to be drafted now. Blackburns injury is more than a good reason for him to drop this low.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
It's unfair to include Blackburn here because an injury ruined his career. He woild be top-5 if not for the injury.

I don't like Montoya much, but you guys are completely underrating him. Just because he had a bad tournament doesn't mean he completely sucks. He has very good potential, but he has had a bad year. Give him a break. He'll be at least a good starting goalie in the NHL with the potential to be Elite.

AG9NK35DT8*

silver_made said:
Lehtonen
Fleury
Dipietro

(Blackburn)
Toivonen
Schwarz
Ward

Bacashihua
Dubnyk
Montoya
Leclaire
Schneider

the rest are non-existent IMO
Good list and good to see some one does recognize the type of talent Blackburn is, I myself had hiom down as one the the top 4 or 5 goalies prospects out there.It is a shame hopefully this injury heals 100% the kid is a real talent .If he does get better the pick of Blackburn will definitly be better than CMBS pick of Leclaire.Basically what I ma saying if Blackburn heals I like having him over LEclaire.

An d im also not high on Leclaire butI dont know if I would consider Jason Bacashuai over him.

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
Dempsey said:
Kari Lehtonen
Marc-Andre Fleury
Rick Dipietro
Marek Schwarz
Hannu Toivonen
Cam Ward
Al Montoya
Jason Bacashihua
Pascal Leclaire
Devan Dubnyk
Cory Schneider
Brent Krahn
Adam Munro
Dan Blackburn (injury)

I would be tempted to put Dipietro ahead of Fleury because he's already a starter. Lehtonen I have no doubt will go on to do great things, while Fleury has the same potential but is more of a risk IMO. Cam Ward has impressed me this year, being named the rookie of the month recently and among the league leaders in his rookie AHL campain. Krahn is having a better season this year but is still a question mark, while Munro was lucky to be a first rounder in the first place.

You completely ignore that Krahn had his own player of the month in November, when he had a nice shutout streak going. He is doing just as well as Ward, and has a much better record for the Monsters. That's a question mark? :dunno:

CuSa_1

Feb 15, 2004
Reveille! said:
I wish Blackburn had never been injured. He'd be up there with Lehtonen and Fleury and Dipietro.

It trully is a shame... :///

What exactly happened to Blackburn?

User571

Apr 5, 2004
Between the Pipes
CuSa_1 said:
What exactly happened to Blackburn?
He had a horrible weight lifting accident in 2003 that left a lot of nerve damage-most of them miracoulusly(sp?) recovered, but there was one in his arm which allows him to quickly snap his glove hand, and that did not recover, and now he may be done for the rest of his career-I really hope he can comeback somehow. Theyre working on some innovative equipment for him, so there is a slight chance.
But really all of this Blackburn talk belongs in one of the several threads about his status.

CuSa_1

Feb 15, 2004
Well I'm really hoping Schwarz pans out and becomes the franchise goalie that my Blues have been searching for for far too long.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
saillias said:
You completely ignore that Krahn had his own player of the month in November, when he had a nice shutout streak going. He is doing just as well as Ward, and has a much better record for the Monsters. That's a question mark? :dunno:

I'm not completely ignoring the fact that Krahn is having a good season. But when he was Ward's age, he was in the ECHL, while Ward is putting up impressive numbers in the AHL as a 20-year-old rookie, a feat that Krahn wasn't even close to doing.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
nurminen31 said:
JDD is a monster. I hope he can pick it up with the Roadrunners-ithink his stats are kind of sub-par this year.

Yes, and he hasn't received much playing time either. Hopefully he will be better next season.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Cloned said:
Yes, and he hasn't received much playing time either. Hopefully he will be better next season.

He's also now injured which doesn't help. Hopefully when he returns, he'll get back on track. He started the season playing quite well for his age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad