First NHL Player To Be Younger Than You

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
Vincent Lecavalier was younger than me by a few hours.

There are only six players left in the NHL that are older than me. I much preferred watching guys my age breakthrough to the league than watching them retire. All that’s left is watching them start to die off (assuming I’m not next).

Last edited:

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Sidney Crosby is 9 days younger than me.

I was born July 30th 87, you would be around then too? I’m only asking because
I remember Crosby being around a week that’s why I said A week before and too lazy to check lol.

SharksAttack

May 22, 2005
Finland
Dan Fritsche is a day younger than me. He played his first NHL game October 9th 2003. But he was 2nd player younger than me to play in NHL. Patrice Bergeron played his first game October 8th 2003.

There are still several players older than me.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Marek Svatos and Ville Koistinen were both born about a week after me, but Svatos was in the NHL first, so he was the first NHLer younger than me. Man, that's a litle depressing. Rest in peace, Marek.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Sidney Crosby

No shame in that one.

Technically Gilbert Brule as well...that one makes me feel even older considering I haven't thought about him in about 5 years now.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Not sure who was the first younger than me to play in the NHL but Roope Hintz is born 2 weeks and a day after me.

Is it a tough question or am I just too lazy to think it through?:laugh:

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Obviously not, I compared 20 year olds to 20 year olds

If you put the wisdom of a 50 year old coach and ex-player into his 20 year old body, he would be significantly better than he was in his prime.

You acquire knowledge as you grow. Some people choose to ignore it and still make dumb decisions but you'll see. In 10 years you'll think your current view point is funny too.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I'm of the 1998 draft class, so it was one of those guys. At least Manny Malhotra and Vinnie Lecavalier were in the NHL the whole season in 1998-99, and both are younger than me. Both the Bolts and the Rags played on the opening round: 1998-99 NHL Schedule and Results | Hockey-Reference.com

There were probably a couple other players starting the season with their new NHL teams, but I'm just gonna answer Malhotra & Lecavalier. Don't know which game started earlier.

EDIT: Malhotra wasn't on the opening night lineup. So it's Lecavalier. The first player younger than me to hit the NHL ice.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
First player to be younger than me in the NHL looks to be Justin Williams.
And there are still 10 players older than him who have played a game so far this season.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I’m happily still young enough where I can tell myself that if I did nothing but practice hockey for a year, I might be able to make a professional roster and work my way up to the NHL.

Probably not, but at least I can dream, unlike some of you old, overweight farts on here ;)

Hey, I gotta get my shots in before I join your ranks.

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
It’s either Sidney Crosby or whichever player of the 05 draft class managed to play opening night in 05-06 before him. Possibly also an 04 with a late birthday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad