First NHL Player To Be Younger Than You

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I was born on June 13, 1986. Matt Read, who has enjoyed a career so far of 7 seasons and 437 games played, was born a day after me on June 14.

Edit: this is assuming we're going by birth date only, not the first one to make his NHL debut while simultaneously be younger than me. It would be a lot more difficult for me to figure the second one out.

Fun fact: I am younger than only two players on my favorite team, the Arizona Coyotes (Alex Goligoski and Brad Richardson).

Last edited:
Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
William Nylander is 13 days older than me. That’s the closest one I can find

Pieck

Dec 13, 2017
BC
The first to be younger than me: Jaret Anderson-Dolan

The last to be older than me: Filip Chytil

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Ive got a really cool one.

Sidney Crosby, one week.

It doesent stop there though with Sid and obviously we were both born in 87, but he was also drafted on my 18th birthday in 2005 since the draft was held way later due to the lockout pushing it back. The Sabres also had four balls in the lottery (best odds with Anaheim Pittsburgh and I can’t remember the other team I want to say the islanders?) so I felt as a bday present it’s be nice for us to win the kid....then it didn’t happen. At least we ended up drafting Marek Zagrapan. Lol

It’s not that bad though as Buffalo would go on to be pretty damn good for the next couple years after the lockout. Went to east finals two years in a row the first two years after and presidents trophy I can’t imagine that team with Sidney Crosby.

The fwds in 05-06

Briere Crosby Dumont
Connolly Drury Hecht/Kotalik
Vanek Afinigenov Roy
Stafford Gaustad Pominville

Last edited:

Miltons tomatoplant

Dec 8, 2004
In terms of quickness to debut, it's Malkin for me. He's 8 days younger than I. Those from the 04 draft who started right after the lockout all have earlier birthdays than I. In terms of oldest player who's younger than me and eventually made the NHL, it's Andrew Desjardins .

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
Nick Bjugstad is the first player that debuted in the NHL younger than me. I watched him get drafted in person too.

Last ones older than me are Jordan Oesterle and Jaden Schwartz (same day.)

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Just because guys are a couple days younger than you they weren’t automatically the first NHL players younger than you..as players break into the league at very different ages. Its more likely to be the first guys breaking into the league who were drafted the year you turned 18 (if you were born early in the year) or the year after if you were born after July.

For me it would be Oleg Saprykin, Steve McCarthy and Tim Connolly all of whom debuted early in the 99/00 season as 18 year olds. Of course i got used to NHLers being mostly younger than me a good 7-8 years ago.

Reactions: Goalie guy

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Taylor Hall was the last NHL player to be older than me.

The first NHL player to be younger than me is.......

one of Cam Fowler, Nino Niederreiter, Jeff Skinner, and Tyler Seguin. Let's see...

Jeff Skinner: October 7th, 2010
Cam Fowler: October 8th, 2010
Tyler Seguin: October 9th, 2010
Nino Niederreiter: October 9th, 2010

It's Jeff Skinner, who is six months younger than me. So on October 7th, 2010, both the last player who was older than me and the first player to be younger than me made their debuts.

The NHL player with the first birthday that comes after mine - Garnet Hathaway - didn't make his debut until February 29th, 2016.

Last edited:
Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->