Line Combos: First line right winger?

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
wheeler and scheifele are great at puck possession, so I dont want both of them on the same line.

Ehlers and laine both have good shooting skills so I dont want them on the same line.
pereault and little are great playmakers but lack size and strength so they should be on a line that have a good shooter and a good puck possession player, this way as soon as the puck is on the stick of little/pereault, they have two options to go to, the shooter or the puck possession artist.

Laine/ehlers are good shooters, but they need players that can pass them the puck, and thats what puck possession players and playmakers are for.

wheeler/scheifele are strong and can hold the puck but you cant expect them to hold it forever, so you need to provide them with good shooters and playmakers.

so I would go with,

pereault scheifele laine

ehlers little wheeler

I think your logic is perfect with the roles. Also it was proved last season that Perreault-Scheifele-Laine works excellently. Ehlers-Little-Wheeler didn't really seem to work too well though. But at least that line had a positive goal difference, so it could be still useful to try it more. Maybe the scoring would by time improve.

Of course any of Connor, Roslovic and Petan could also be used possibly in the 2nd line. The Jets should seriously be able to have a very interesting and promising lineup. Can't wait for the season to begin!

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This table shows that Perreault-Scheifele-Laine combination would most likely be the best line for the Jets. This is in fact what the good old eye test told me also during last season.

Maybe Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine could also work well, but I am still doubting that Ehlers and Laine are yet physically ready to play in the same line with each other. After a season or two though I think they should already be a lot stronger physically, and then they could work really well together. But it is most probably worthy to try them together with Scheifele occasionally already the starting season.

ESL still outscored their opponents by a higher margin than PSL. If they can limit chances and goals against they will be far more elite than anything a PSL line can muster.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
16-17 5v5

[table="head;]Line|Icetime|Goalz|Corgis
Matthias-Lowry-Armia|367:54|13-16|48.6
Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine|266:22|22-15|48.6
Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler|240:26|9-11|55.8
Ehlers-Little-Laine|207:10|9-6|45.8
Perreault-Little-Wheeler|164:37|12-12|60.5
Perreault-Scheifele-Wheeler|125:24|7-7|54.0
Perreault-Little-Laine|117:38|6-10|54.5
Perreault-Scheifele-Laine|112:14|10-6|54.6
Ehlers-Little-Wheeler|112:01|6-4|51.5[/table]

E-S-L could be elite, they just need to housetrain their Corgis so they don't **** all over the carpet. The Ehlers/Laine combo looks like a 7-year-old girl surrounded by professional dog trainers.

Why is it the better the Corgi the worse the Goal Agaisnt / Goals For...

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Why is it the better the Corgi the worse the Goal Agaisnt / Goals For...

Just shows how meaningless Corsi can really be. When you put strong Corsi players together, you get strong Corsi numbers, and not necessarily a great amount of goals with it. Depends also partially on the playing style that the Corsi-numbers come with.

A line can get a good Corsi even if they handle the puck like a hand grenade and give the puck away easily, if they are still very good at forechecking and retrieving the puck back before it gets to their own end. This type of Corsi line is far from being a real well puck controlling line, and they will usually have problems with scoring well.

Also another problem with good Corsi is that it tends to become better with players that shoot a lot but are at the same time pretty inaccurate. Vice versa, players that are very skilled and accurate with their shooting, tend to have lower Corsi numbers.

What would really be important to remember is that Corsi by itself really means nothing, but if you build a very balanced line with some great goal scoring skills, some great playmaking skills, and also with some strength and good puck retrieval skills, then you actually might be on to something, with following the Corsi numbers.

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
esl.jpg

Would be almost true if Scheifs was from Quebec.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
ESL still outscored their opponents by a higher margin than PSL. If they can limit chances and goals against they will be far more elite than anything a PSL line can muster.

The table that mcpw presented tells otherwise. If you look at the ice times and calculate how the PSL line's goal difference could have been with the same ice time that the ESL line played, you get 23,74 scored goals and 14,24 of allowed goals with the same ice time that ESL played together. When compared to ESL line's goal difference we can see that with 22 scored goals and 15 allowed goals, the ESL line loses to PSL in both, scoring goals and preventing opponents from scoring. Of course this is only predictive and hypothetic. Anyway for the Corsi lovers a bonus with the PSL line is clearly higher Corsi numbers. Which could really be meaningful in the long run when the line anyway is already more productive than ESL.

It's about the right roles and good balance inside a line. PSL is a clearly more balanced line with the right kind of roles. ESL doesn't have optimal roles, which leads into the line having too harmful weaknesses to get the full potential out from the skilled players that that line would have.

Last edited:

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Laine Scheifele Ehlers - Most lethal Line in hockey last season... why not do it again, also Laine is much better on the Left(offensively, IMO)

Connor Little Wheeler - Surround the Elite talent Connor with a great veteran Center and possible the best 200ft Winger in the league, not only will the vets make magic but Connor should as well.

Perrault Roslovic Dano - Perrault is one of the most underrated NHL forwards in the league, he is one of the best Two-Way Wingers and can Playmake as good as any other Jets player(IMO) you pair that with another great Two-Way Winger and a borderline Elite talent level Roslovic you have one of the deepest Forward depths in the NHL

Copp Lowry Armia - Another young solid Line that will score once every other night.

Assuming Roslovic has a good camp, I'd like to see this with Armia and Dano switched.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
If it is not Laine-55-Ehlers I'm gonna be pissed ........

And I fully expect to be disappointed because it is way to obvious to play these 3 together so we won't !

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Ehlers - Scheifele - Laine -- it baffles me to no end that anybody wants anything else. That's the most dangerous line in hockey. Any defensive loss is more than made up by offensive gain - and all 3 can be expected to improve defensively due to outstanding attitudes and coachability.
Connor - Little - Wheeler -- I'm coming around to starting Connor on that line. Playing with Little and Wheeler will shelter him as well as starting out on the 3rd would. Will depend on TC performance of course and Connor still could begin on the 3rd and MP with Little and Wheeler. If Laine and Wheeler swap then Connor has to move to the 3rd.

I agree 100%

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad