NFL: First International NFL Franchise

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I get there would be now be more revenue but the travel would kill guys and the lifestyle change would be enormous.
They will deal with it to be in the NFL. That’s 53 more jobs.

I don’t think it works with just 1 team though.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I’d be sad. I love the CFL. The Canadian game is entertaining. It’d be sad to see the death of an entire sport because once the cfl is gone, that’s the end of organized 12 a side 3 down football.
I don't want to see it end either even though I rarely watch it and much prefer the NFL. I appreciate the history of the league and the rivalries plus the people out west love it. I know a few people in Ontario who love it too but most people I know here don't care about it.
Honestly, I find it really boring. All football fans I know in Canada are NFL guys, none really care for the CFL.

To be blunt its basically a league of cast offs, has beens and retreads.
You must not know anyone from Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba then.
There are no territorial rights in the NFL. The Bills having fans in Ontario means nothing, most would stay Bills fans but it’s different when a team claims a market as their own and is part of the city. If the billionaires ever had their shit together for a Toronto NFL team, they would be just fine.
It's arguable if the Bill's are even the most popular team in Southern Ontario. Maybe in the Hamilton/Niagara region but where I live it's all over the board. Lots of Bill's and Lions fans but also a lot of Cowboys, Steelers, Packers, Broncos, Patriots, 49ers, Bears and Raiders fans too.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't want to see it end either even though I rarely watch it and much prefer the NFL. I appreciate the history of the league and the rivalries plus the people out west love it. I know a few people in Ontario who love it too but most people I know here don't care about it.

You must not know anyone from Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba then.

It's arguable if the Bill's are even the most popular team in Southern Ontario. Maybe in the Hamilton/Niagara region but where I live it's all over the board. Lots of Bill's and Lions fans but also a lot of Cowboys, Steelers, Packers, Broncos, Patriots, 49ers, Bears and Raiders fans too.
They're probably the most popular by a plurality. The Bills and Lions being bad for a generation opens the path for people in a market without a team. My understanding is that NFL fans in Quebec are filled with Patriots fans.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
They're probably the most popular by a plurality. The Bills and Lions being bad for a generation opens the path for people in a market without a team. My understanding is that NFL fans in Quebec are filled with Patriots fans.
I believe that's true regarding Quebec. Lots of Red Sox fans there too. Yeah I'm sure the Bill's are the most popular overall but less so with fans under 40. Probably still the most popular in that demographic because of the GTA/Hamilton area though.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Theres a ton of Cowboys & Steelers fans in Toronto/Southern Ontario

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I think it would work popularity-wise in Germany and the UK, but I don't know if the logistics check out. Even if we ignore travel (I guess Hawaii football is in a similar boat really?), there's still the fact that you're operating in a different jurisdiction. European subsidiaries/branches of U.S. corporations typically operate under a locally registered legal entity and the relevant local tax and employment law applies (in addition to the law of the state where the corporation is based in the U.S. ). Now for most corporations that means some adjustment of wages, hiring and firing practices, time off allowances and so forth, but nothing drastic...but then the NFL has some rather 'quirky' rules that probably would not stand in a European court.

Another aspect is that this team would essentially be locked into a 1 pm ET time slot with perhaps a few 4 pm ET games here and there thrown in, but SNF/MNF/TNF would be permanently off-limits. Can you play the Super Bowl at 1 am local time for one of the teams? Only if you say the fans of that team don't really matter..in which case why bother with a franchise there in the 1st place?

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Just move the Jaguars to London.
1661132680390.png

• Haha
Reactions: kingsholygrail

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad