First impressions: Your team’s newest acquisitions/rookies.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Rookies-
Chytil-as expected. Amazing vision/hands/creativity/speed but has to add strength to his lanky size even though he’s apparently 200+ lbs. He back checks and has really good puck stripping abilities but has little defensive awareness. Shot needs to improve as well. Has 2 points in 3 games so far and his end to end rushes are fun

Howden-absolute beast. I was surprised at how developed his defensive game is, every game it feels like he has 2-3 really good defensive plays. Good around the net as well. Also has 2 points in 3 games. Can’t see him being much more than a really good middle 6 C but should be great behind Chytil and Lias as the 3C in the future. Very mature and poised game, Quinn seems to really like him so far.

Lettieri-he really upped his game this year. Most people don’t really know about him but he can end up a really solid bottom 6er. Brings energy and is a shoot first player, but what surprised me this year vs last was a new grittier/pesty game. He needs to work on his defensive game though to be a bottom 6 staple. I think he can end up a poor mans Gallagher/Cally

Pionk-good offense and great stickchecking. Needs to improve defensive IQ and strength though. Could end up as a poor mans Ryan Ellis that can put up 25-30 points and be a solid 4D.

Deangelo-honestly after last year I’d lost some hope for him but under Quinn he’s been a completely different dman. Deangelo was our best dman in preseason and it looks like he’s added a pesty game as well. Defense is improved too. Very, very happy with him so far. The Deangelo-Skjei pairing is amazing, Skjei is playing like Brian Leetch 2.0 this season which is very exciting to see.

Georgiev-had a great season last year, really sucked in his game against the Canes and let up a wrist shot from the blue line with a clear line of sight. Some Rangers fans really liked him and thought he could be a starter but I never really saw it with him. Could be a good backup though

New Acquisitions-
McQuaid-been very steady and pretty much as expected. Nothing really to report here but I do like him

Namestnikov (does he count as new?)-pretty trash so far. More of a negative than a positive when he’s out on the ice and was scratched in favor of McLeod. Also rolled his eyes and threw up his hands when Quinn told him to go serve the TMM penalty which stirred up some controversy. He looked better against the Canes though. What I will say is that he looks nothing like he did in Tampa (even before last season.) feels/looks like he thinks he’s good now so he tries some stupid moves and f’s it up. His defensive game (which was once pretty good) isn’t there anymore. Hope we trade him this TDL.

Spooner (see Namestnikov)-invisible when he plays. Can’t even notice him on the ice but somehow ends up with 1-2 assists. Point-wise he’s been good for us but he certainly fails the eye test

Last edited:
Reactions: Fenris

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Well, I really like Jokiharju. So much so that I made a thread about him on the main boards. And while I don't know if he'll ever be good enough to actually be a Norris level defensemen (me saying as much was merely mocking a different thread), he has been arguably our best defensemen and looks like he'll pull a McAvoy this year.

Kahun is a wild card. Don't think he's much more than a third liner, but he has made some pretty plays (had the primary assist on a beauty of a play finished off by DeBrincat). Hard to say for certain, but his speed might be giving a bit more room for Toews and DeBrincat in the offensive zone, so I'm all for keeping him at 1RW for as long as that line produces (and a bit longer than that to see if they can get themselves going again).

Luke Johnson is a rookie playing the role of a shutdown 4th liner. There's some good and bad to go with that. It's a role that usually requires playing time to ever get better at, and he needs to get better. Hardly notice the guy.

Kunitz is too old and playing a 3rd line role because Q's an asshole. His wheels are fine, but nothing special. His playmaking ability is almost non-existant. His shot is nothing. He should be 4th line or bench. Nothing more.

Manning scored a goal last game but he also left Matthews all alone in front of Cam Ward in the dying minutes of a game we just tied. There's been a lot more of the latter than the former so far. Needs to take a seat when Murphy and Forsling return from injury.

Ward has given up an average of 4.62 goals a game so far. Please save us Crow!

Reactions: thesaadfather

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Vezina finalists

Ben Bishop John Gibson Carter Hutton

I think it’s ironic you put ennis “meh af, not a bad 3rd or 4th liner.” When he’s been nothing but atrocious as one of those.

His only way of being successful is a top six forward due to the size, crafty type player he is. Post concusssion he is project and a cheap one and only there to see if there was something left after buffalo got rid of him and the wilds project of him failed. His career is about done. Before concussions in his prime he was a lot better but can’t keep up today.

He looks fine for us, that's what this thread is about, he has decent speed and works very hard, but he in NO WAY can take top matchups and create anything of substance for Matthews and Marleau. He is worthless as a first or second liner here.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ward and Kunitz are awful.

I'm willing to give Manning some time.

Jokiharju is the real deal.

Kunitz ran out of gas by the end of the season just in time for the playoffs. Tampa’s 4th line was excellent during the playoffs, yet he did nothing, can only imagine if they had a LW more engaged. That line helped push the Caps series to 7 games, but just maybe with him more engaged they push to the SCF, since the Top 6 went dead in the final 3 games. Wise move Yzerman not re-signing him. Sorry you guys have to deal with him now.

Anyway, for the the Rangers, Howden has been excellent, and Namestnikov like @Lays said, has not been good, and really don’t think he wants to be in NY. He misses his buddy Kucherov. Lol.

I also like Deangelo’s game. There were doubts and this so called attitude issue with him, but if he can click with Quinn’s system he may have finally found a home. So really rooting for that.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Tavares: A truly elite player who looks unreal with Marner. Although, Matthews is more impressive shift to shift.

Lindholm: Seems competent, but replaceable

Big Russian D who's name is a nightmare to spell got absolutely exposed by Chabot.

Honestly I don’t think Tavares has looked unreal. He’s definitely capitalized on opportunities, but I think he goes unnoticed for stretches, and Marner has been the catalyst on that line - but overall I’d say he’s been good so far.

Ennis - meh. He shows flashes, but he can be a liability and is easy to push off the puck.

Oz - so far not so good

Lindholm - seems like a standard 4th line C so far

Reactions: Medvescak

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
Dahlin is still adjusting - but the iso-cam shows just how good he is defensively. His positioning, passing, and physical play are fantastic.

Hutton is a breath of fresh air here in town because we've typically had history with solid goalies but man, how I have missed seeing a goalie play a puck that well.

I wouldn't be disappointed to see Mittlestadt and Thompson get some development time in Rochester - some may disagree, but eh, it wouldn't hurt.

Berglund has been steady and dependable. No glaring issues and a solid vet.

Elie immediately solidified his role on the PK.

Skinner is a bit snake bit - he's 'effing pesky as all get out, but the points will come.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Mathieu Joseph looked a little nervous in the first period, and then in the second period was likely TB's best player. But that's more because of how bad everybody else was. Even Brayden Point had a lackluster game (by his standards).

Ryan McDonagh might have been our best player overall, other than Vasy. McDonagh looked really, really solid after a full camp with the coaches and system. I think sometimes defensemen don't fit in when acquired at the TDL, and it takes them a bit to settle in. Seems like the case with McD.

Cygnusx1018

Jul 17, 2017
Filppula - shockingly great. Hated the signing when it was made, but he's been very good
Komarov - See Filppula.
Kuhnhackl - Didn't really notice him.
Sbisa - See Kuhnhackl
Lehner - Awesome first game, hope he can keep it up.

Overall I'm pleasantly surprised

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Liking Tavares so far.

4g in 3 games with 15 shots and a +3

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
The lone new Capital, Nic Dowd looks meh. Scored a goal in game one, looked ok, was bad in game two and got killed in the dot which was his strength I thought.

Jaskin will play on Wednesday.

These are nothing, interchangeable with minor league players, so I can't say I care much.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Chytil - Better than I expected him to be at 19. Will produce. Hoping the possession game comes along.

Howden - Might be better than expected. Looks like a 10-year vet at age 20. Our most NHL-ready prospect with the highest floor without a doubt.

Lettieri - Exists.

Pionk - Does great things, does abhorrent things. No middle ground. Future 3rd pair guy.

DeAgenlo - Elite at moving the puck, sound defensively, mean af. Dan Boyle upside. May be the guy I'm most excited about in the whole organization right now. Hope we're the team that finally gives him a chance.

Georgiev - Pleasant surprise late last year, looked like dog butt in his first game this year. We'll see what a larger sample holds.

McQuaid - Doesn't blow as much as I thought he would but we didn't need a RHD and he's needlessly taking ice time from others. Would prefer McQuaid on the left over Staal, but the Rangers will never do that.

Namestnikov - Good bottom sixer, but seems to have a very bad attitude about this rebuild. Already clashing with Quinn.

Spooner - Does absolutely nothing and then scores. Rich man's Erik Christensen.

Reactions: Lays

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
Canucks:

Beagle: Hes been good on the PK but other than that nothing to write home about obviously for a 4C.

Schaller: Hasnt really played but looked pretty mediocre in pre-season.

Motte: Not really "new" but he has looked great so far on the defensive side of things, hes awesome at breaking up plays for the opposition and using his speed to gain the zone. Offense needs some work though.

Pettersson: Everyone has probably heard enough about him. If he plays at his current pace all season and his career he will easily be a top-5 C in the league.

Altimus

Probably drunk
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2006
West end Ottawa
:sens

The games i watched, missed mondays game.

Boedker - meh for what we gave up.
DeMelo - better then expected
Formenton - played one game last season, very speedy
Lajoie - impact first game
Tierney - as advertised.

All seem to be having

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
:kings

Kovalchuk: 2 assists. He's definitely a step slower, but the playmaking is still there. The Kings PP has been a dumpster fire of mismanagement early, hopefully that straightens out and he's used properly.

Jaret Anderson-Dolan: Only one game and not really enough minutes to take anything from it either way.

Austin Wagner: This kid has a rocket up his ass. Can't remember the last time the Kings iced a player with this much pure speed. With that said, his hands leave a lot to be desired. His speed has given him several great scoring chances that he hasn't been able to capitalize on.

Reactions: King Trouty

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Ryan O'Reilly: A beast all over the ice. Chips in everywhere and has been the team's best player so far.

Patrick Maroon: He's also been solid. Physical, good with the puck down low and around the net.

Tyler Bozak: Decent. Has made some good plays, and other times where he's not too noticeable. His line is still trying to gel so we'll see.

Rookies: Schmaltz, Blais, Thomas and Kyrou have all looked good. Showing flashes of the speed and skill they bring to the lineup and have had some scoring chances. Only thing to watch here is whether Yeo actually gives them enough ice time. He definitely didn't do that last game.

Johnson and Jerabek haven't played yet. Johnson looked fine in preseason, shouldn't be an issue with him as the backup. Jerabek will be the 8th d-man so doesn't really matter too much what he provides.

Overall they've done their jobs. It's the existing vets on the team that need to step it up.

BalticDevil

Mar 27, 2018
Wismar, Germany
For the Devils, this list is really short and just 1 game of course:

Dea looks like an OK 13th forward who can provide spot duty on the 4th line and good PKing.

Quenneville is the only rookie who (finally) made the team out of camp. He looked fine on the 3rd line with Wood and Zajac and can hopefully add some secondary scoring.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
He looks fine for us, that's what this thread is about, he has decent speed and works very hard, but he in NO WAY can take top matchups and create anything of substance for Matthews and Marleau. He is worthless as a first or second liner here.

I think you may of missed my point.

I’m saying he only got his points when he was a top six forward, when buffalo and Minnesota put him in a bottom six role he couldn’t produce as his career is pretty much done. That’s why dubas signed him for peanuts.

I’ve watched him for over a decade and you’ve seen him for three games, I know what I’m saying with Ennis. I’m not saying he can be in your top 6 or should be. He shouldn’t even be in the lineup. But dubas is giving him a chance to resurrect his career it’s a project that was a low risk high reward chance but hasn’t really worked out so far and it’s a matter of time until someone takes his spot. He’s a veteran that’s been through a lot so they’re still giving him a opportunity.

I’m not saying this only based on how he has beeen for the three leaf games all of which I’ve watched live (except the sens game which I still watched on pvr) I say this because he couldn’t even crack the wilds roster after they made the mistake of giving us scandella for him. No wonder chuck fletcher got fired.

A team as deep as Toronto prospect wise should not have Ennis in there but like I said it’s early And they want to give him one last opportunity due to him being a vet and all he’s been through. It shouldn’t work out, if he couldn’t even produce well in the top six with Matthews. Believe me he will look useless even more-so the longer he’s in a bottom six role. It’s unfortunate for him he was good years ago and as you see he still show sign of his skill level but he can’t keep up anymore. He’s not the same player.

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think you may of missed my point.

I’m saying he only got his points when he was a top six forward, when buffalo and Minnesota put him in a bottom six role he couldn’t produce as his career is pretty much done. That’s why dubas signed him for peanuts.

I’ve watched him for over a decade and you’ve seen him for three games, I know what I’m saying with Ennis. I’m not saying he can be in your top 6 or should be. He shouldn’t even be in the lineup. But dubas is giving him a chance to resurrect his career it’s a project that was a low risk high reward chance but hasn’t really worked out so far and it’s a matter of time until someone takes his spot. He’s a veteran that’s been through a lot so they’re still giving him a opportunity.

I’m not saying this only based on how he has beeen for the three leaf games all of which I’ve watched live (except the sens game which I still watched on pvr) I say this because he couldn’t even crack the wilds roster after they made the mistake of giving us scandella for him. No wonder chuck fletcher got fired.

A team as deep as Toronto prospect wise should not have Ennis in there but like I said it’s early And they want to give him one last opportunity due to him being a vet and all he’s been through. It shouldn’t work out, if he couldn’t even produce well in the top six with Matthews. Believe me he will look useless even more-so the longer he’s in a bottom six role. It’s unfortunate for him he was good years ago and as you see he still show sign of his skill level but he can’t keep up anymore. He’s not the same player.

He is there until Nylander cracks and signs, because he will, because he is losing money every day now, once h does Ennis is ether gone or on the Kadri line with Kadri and Brown and that will depend on Leivo, as of yet Leivo has not done anything

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
He is there until Nylander cracks and signs, because he will, because he is losing money every day now, once h does Ennis is ether gone or on the Kadri line with Kadri and Brown and that will depend on Leivo, as of yet Leivo has not done anything

Yeah I figured. But what about all the marlies surely there are better guys to go in. By game ten if not sooner it will change unless nylander as said.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The Leafs are exactly wha we thought they would b offensively maybe even better.

The Tavares and Matthews Cmbo is making this league look silly early.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Its not like i said it should be illegal or anything. I just doubt its productive just yet. I remember Joe Colborne had a hatrick on his first or second Game against Dallas for the Avs a couple of years back . Ended with 4 goal 4 assists in 62 games .

No need to be that aggressive dude.

Were you not the guy saying it's too early in a bunch of threads? If not I apologize.

I personally think it's never too soon to discuss, even if it ends shortly after.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Cholowski : Best Wings player through 3 games

Hronek : Very solid defensively, quieter than expected offensively so far

Sulak : a mixed bag, great tools but plays a bit ”wild” getting out of position

Hicketts : competes hard but is on that knife’s edge where his size balances between being a minor issue or being too much of an issue

Rasmussen : Quiet, doesn’t look confident. Very good last game and picked up a nice assist, could be getting more comfortable

Ehn : skates well and is a solid defensive minded 4th liner. Needs to show a little offense to stick long term.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Were you not the guy saying it's too early in a bunch of threads? If not I apologize.

I personally think it's never too soon to discuss, even if it ends shortly after.

Nah that would be news to me.

I mean you can discuss but when some of the most important new aquisitions haven't even played that there's going to be major holes in that discussion.

FOr example have no idea how Nichuskin and Khudobin look since they haven't played yet and they're supposed to be major factors for Dallas this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad