First impressions: Your team’s newest acquisitions/rookies.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Most teams have played 2-3 games so far, a few teams have just one game under their belt but...

Hit me with your (waaaay early) impressions of your teams’ newest acquisitions/rookies. Have they looked good/great? Have they looked lost and out of place?

—————————

CBJ:

• Duclair has looked pretty good. Started out on fourth line and has since moved to second line duty. Has great speed. You can just see how much potential this kid possesses when he has the puck.

• Riley Nash has been meh, at best. His advanced stats these first two games have been brutal. Winning just 41 percent of his faceoffs so far. Hoping he takes advantage of Dubinsky being out as Nash has moved to third line center duties.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Ward and Kunitz are awful.

I'm willing to give Manning some time.

Jokiharju is the real deal.

Jokihaju looks phenomenal.
Kid put up tremendous numbers in juniors and he has done the same these first few games of his career.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Half the Canes roster is new adds/rookies this year.

Ferland:
Good. What we expected, physical play and has some finish to his game. Looks good with Aho and Teravainen.
Hamilton: Not sure yet. Playing solid, but hasn't gotten much PP time as of yet. Nothing earth shattering yet, but nothing bad either.
de Hann: Solid, solid defenseman. Been fantastic. Very happy with him and he was a great add.
Martinook: Has been a very good 4th liner / pker that has shown a scoring touch.
Mrazek: Meh. Not horrible, but not great either.
McBackup: Only 1 game, but was excellent.
Svechnikov: Good with the puck, good shot, very good passer, and not afraid to throw his body around/crash the net. Still looks a little lost without the puck in the D and O zone, but is getting better with every game. Still a lot to learn though.
Necas: In a bit over his head right now, particularly as a Center in the defensive zone. Blazing fast but still hasn't quite figured out how to translate that speed into success at the NHL level. Work in progress and will need sheltering for a while if he's going to stay at C.
Foegele: Best rookie and maybe best new add overall. The guy is very fast, has good size, a non-stop motor and just hounds the puck.
Wallmark: Looks solid as a 4C and has a bit of offense to him. Overall pleased, but he may go back down when Rask is healthy.
Zykov: Hasn't done anything yet. A bit disappointing, but only 2 games.

Unsustainable

Bunch of Jerks
Apr 14, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Svechnikov: Kid is l33t
Necas: Fast as light, but needs to slow it down.
Ferland: Legit my favorite trade pick up, he’s a great power forward.
Foegele: Kid has a motor that doesn’t stop and hounds the puck. 4 goals in his 1st 5 games.
de Haan: Dudes Solis, great 2nd pairing to compliment Slavin on the left side.
Dougie: making mistakes, but sure he will come around.
Mzarek: Kamikaze in goal?
McBackup: Best back up since Ward?
Zykov: under used, but a freaking tank.
Martinook: Perfect 4th liner

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
ROOKIES:

Comtois looks like a player a lot of teams are going to kick themselves not taking from 20-49 range in the draft.
Terry likely needs time to mature physically in the AHL, but the skill is there
Steel has great vision/passing ability/ and hockey iq… but I think he would benefit from a little time in the AHL also
Sheerwood is a great energy player, big motor... well see if he can find a scoring touch
Lundestrom hasn't played yet , but everything ive seen from him, he was an excellent pick in 2018 draft

FA SIGNINGS:
Sustr is absolute garbage.
Schenn is solid physical #6 guy, I think he should be in over sustr
Gibbons only played 1 game so far, but I like what he brings to our bottom 6
Rowney has been a solid bottom 6 player, don't have any complaints yet
Sheets looks more like an AHL player

Gibson for Hart

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Tavares: God

Ennis: Meh af, not a bad 3rd/4th liner, I hope to God Babs doesn't put him back on the 1st line though

Kapanen: I love Kap and will forever be a part of his fanclub, Babs buried him early on, but now that he's on the first line, I expect BIG things (like we saw last night) from him

Johnsson: Hasn't been incredible, but not bad either, I know some Leafs fans are constantly complaining that guys who play 12 minutes a game are "invisible," but if he's buried he can't do much, would love to see him with Naz

Ozighanov: Meh, not great, but still needs time

Sparks: Awful, I hated it when we kept him and he did nothing to prove me wrong the other night, I don't think he's even a good AHL goalie on a bad team, let alone a capable NHL goalie

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Habs

Kotkaniemi: not sure if he's going to stick around, but he clearly possesses elite hockey IQ. The ONLY thing he needs to work on is his strength which is why I'm not against sending him back to Finland. He's everything we need our future 1C to be regardless, but I'd give him another year to get more strength. The puck follows him whenever he's on the ice.

Domi: making me eat crow real quick on that Domi-Chucky trade. So fast and smooth and really looking good at the center position here.

Armia: he's okay. Really good penalty killer along with Byron.

Tatar: haven't noticed him a bunch, but I like what I see thus far and he hasn't made any mistakes.

Peca: can't really comment here. Haven't noticed him much.

Juulsen: looks like a stud. Really smooth and solid, really poised. Soon to be a legit top-4 defender imho.

Reilly: we acquired him last year, but he's getting a real shot this season and he looks like a top-4 defenseman. He brings the mobility and vision we need and he's really solid. I'm surprised, I thought he'd be our 7th defenseman.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
Dahlin - getting better every game, man can he really lay down a nice clean hit
Berglund - good vet presence / good defence
Sheary - might have a career year playing with eichel
sobotka - good bottom 6ixer. good defensively overpaid but meh
Hutton - really looking like the man right now
Skinner - driving the 2nd line lil bit of bad puckluck but the goals should start coming. really like his skating/shooting
Thompson liked what i saw in pre season but he should go down for seasoning. should be a good middle 6ixer
elie - good motor on the guy. like the energy he brings

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
:flames

Noah Hanifin - Dominant two-way player. Already looks like a perfect #3 with actual #1 upside.
Elias Lindholm - Not bad. Solid top six forward. Could hit 55-65 pts this season on our top PP and top line.
Austin Czarnik - Playing like a rock solid top six forward given the opportunity. Think Andrew Cogliano, of course maybe not as fast, but also a bit more useful on our PP2.
Dillon Dube - Kind of dragged down by his center so not much of a read can be made. Has had some good sequences and nearly potted his first goal on a breakaway.
Juuso Valimaki - Awful in his first game, very solid in his second. He plays like game 2 and he'll play 82 games in the NHL as a (19/)20 year old defenseman.
Derek Ryan - Soft, soft, soft. He's a decent center no doubt, but I'm reminded of Mason Raymond with how many plays die simply because he won't compete in the corners. Size isn't an excuse when he has small teammates like Czarnik, Gaudreau, and Dube, working their asses off. I would trade him for Sam Gagner tbqh.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Heiskanen: Already playing like a #1/#2 dman. Incredible to watch. Has not disappointed at all

Polak - elite superstar dman in the making. This kid is gonna be fantastic for years to come. In all seriousness, he has been solid and I love his physicality but I hope Honka replaces him.

Carrick - has been really good for us and put up 3 assists. No way he maintains this but it's nice to see him looking good

Hintz - has looked good but doesn't play much and the 4th line hasn't generated really any offensive chances. They've been good defensively though

Dickinson- just about invisible but not in a bad way, but had 1 good chance and is reliable defensively. That's about it so far

Comeau - I like his game a lot but he'd be much better on old 3rd line. Such a reliable guy though

Khudobin - haven't seen him yet but was good in preseason

I think that's all

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Heiskanen: Already playing like a #1/#2 dman. Incredible to watch. Has not disappointed at all

Polak - elite superstar dman in the making. This kid is gonna be fantastic for years to come. In all seriousness, he has been solid and I love his physicality but I hope Honka replaces him.

Carrick - has been really good for us and put up 3 assists. No way he maintains this but it's nice to see him looking good

Hintz - has looked good but doesn't play much and the 4th line hasn't generated really any offensive chances. They've been good defensively though

Dickinson- just about invisible but not in a bad way, but had 1 good chance and is reliable defensively. That's about it so far

Comeau - I like his game a lot but he'd be much better on old 3rd line. Such a reliable guy though

Khudobin - haven't seen him yet but was good in preseason

I think that's all

Nichuskin who hasn't played yet

serp

Jan 17, 2016
This is too early for this topic . Quite a few new players haven't even played yet on several teams.

Ask against at the idk ~15-20 games mark

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
SJ:

tenor.gif

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Matt Calvert : Really like what he brings defensively also very good on the PK.

Ian Cole : He hasn't done a thing wrong IMO. He was very efficient in his own end making good defensive plays.

Sheldon Dries : Well can't say he is impressing or unimpressing but I like how he keep shooting the puck on the net though.

Philipp Grubauer : He hasn't played yet. He is starting tomorrow against CBJ.

Clearly not a new acquisition but Girard is now starting his second season and right now boy he looks like #1D for us. I don't know if some Avs fans agree with me but I think he has been our best player along with Kerfoot/Wilson.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Tavares: A truly elite player who looks unreal with Marner. Although, Matthews is more impressive shift to shift.

Lindholm: Seems competent, but replaceable

Big Russian D who's name is a nightmare to spell got absolutely exposed by Chabot.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Or let people discuss things when they feel like it. Who are you to say when people can broach a topic.

Its not like i said it should be illegal or anything. I just doubt its productive just yet. I remember Joe Colborne had a hatrick on his first or second Game against Dallas for the Avs a couple of years back . Ended with 4 goal 4 assists in 62 games .

No need to be that aggressive dude.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Leafs

Forwards

Tavares -) AMAZING. Him and marner are gonna be a great duo for multiple years to come.
Lindholm -) he's been good in the 4th line center role, isn't really noticeable.
Johnsson -) Off to an awful start, lack of off season training???
Ennis -) Pleseantly surprised, better then expected but he's a defensive liability, and is losing battles due to his size. I like what he brings offensively.
Gauthier -) Awful, can't skate, but at least he warms the pressbox seats nicely.

Defence

Igor Oziganov -) I like him, good positionally, makes nice defensive plays.
Travis Dermott -) Looks real sharp, as good or better then last season's call up.
Justin Holl -) Looked bad in preseason, hasn't suited up yet.

Goalie

Sparks -) Can't stop a beach ball...

Oct 18, 2011
:flames

Noah Hanifin - Dominant two-way player. Already looks like a perfect #3 with actual #1 upside.
Elias Lindholm - Not bad. Solid top six forward. Could hit 55-65 pts this season on our top PP and top line.
Austin Czarnik - Playing like a rock solid top six forward given the opportunity. Think Andrew Cogliano, of course maybe not as fast, but also a bit more useful on our PP2.
Dillon Dube - Kind of dragged down by his center so not much of a read can be made. Has had some good sequences and nearly potted his first goal on a breakaway.
Juuso Valimaki - Awful in his first game, very solid in his second. He plays like game 2 and he'll play 82 games in the NHL as a (19/)20 year old defenseman.
Derek Ryan - Soft, soft, soft. He's a decent center no doubt, but I'm reminded of Mason Raymond with how many plays die simply because he won't compete in the corners. Size isn't an excuse when he has small teammates like Czarnik, Gaudreau, and Dube, working their asses off. I would trade him for Sam Gagner tbqh.
The flames obliterated the canes in that trade

Oct 18, 2011
Yes, two games clearly show that.

Hamilton: 3 GP, 1 point, +1
Hanifin: 2 GP, 1 point -1

Ferland: 3GP, 4 points + 3
Lindholm: 2GP, 3 points -3

Plus the Canes got Fox in the deal.

Total obliteration.
Lindholm looks ready to breakout and the Canes gave up too soon on Hanifin. I watched Hamilton for years with the flames I wouldn't be surprised if Hanifin is viewed as better in a year or so

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Lindholm looks ready to breakout and the Canes gave up too soon on Hanifin. I watched Hamilton for years with the flames I wouldn't be surprised if Hanifin is viewed as better in a year or so

All that "may" happen, but until it does, there's no "obliterating" going on. Lindholm could be what he was for the past 5 seasons and Hanifin might never develop that hockey sense that is needed to be elite. Until we are a couple of seasons in we won't know.

The Canes did give up team control in the deal though (Ferland and Hamilton are UFAs sooner) and long term potential for guys more ready now, which is probably why they wanted Fox in the deal as well.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Vezina finalists

Ben Bishop John Gibson Carter Hutton

Tavares: God

Ennis: Meh af, not a bad 3rd/4th liner, I hope to God Babs doesn't put him back on the 1st line though

Kapanen: I love Kap and will forever be a part of his fanclub, Babs buried him early on, but now that he's on the first line, I expect BIG things (like we saw last night) from him

Johnsson: Hasn't been incredible, but not bad either, I know some Leafs fans are constantly complaining that guys who play 12 minutes a game are "invisible," but if he's buried he can't do much, would love to see him with Naz

Ozighanov: Meh, not great, but still needs time

Sparks: Awful, I hated it when we kept him and he did nothing to prove me wrong the other night, I don't think he's even a good AHL goalie on a bad team, let alone a capable NHL goalie

I think it’s ironic you put ennis “meh af, not a bad 3rd or 4th liner.” When he’s been nothing but atrocious as one of those.

His only way of being successful is a top six forward due to the size, crafty type player he is. Post concusssion he is project and a cheap one and only there to see if there was something left after buffalo got rid of him and the wilds project of him failed. His career is about done. Before concussions in his prime he was a lot better but can’t keep up today.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->