First Goals in NHL Team History

vikash1987

Mar 7, 2004
New York
Several years ago, I compiled a list which captured the first and last (if applicable) regular season and playoff goals in the history of all NHL teams. That list has since needed to be cleaned up and expanded upon, hence this thread.

For starters, below is an image snapshot of my updated list of the first regular season goals in the history of the expansion and relocated teams from the 1960s & '70s:

More to come later, but in the interim, any memories, insights or feedback would be greatly appreciated. The majority of these goals have been forgotten and "lost" to history. Interestingly, some were overshadowed within the games themselves by other milestone moments: for example, Jean Beliveau scored his 400th career goal in the game in which Andy Bathgate scored the Penguins' first goal.

References: NHL game logs + book by Liam Maguire titled Next Goal Wins!

Last edited:

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
If the memory of his 2011-12 Score card serves, Tim Stapleton scored the last goal in Atlanta Thrashers history.

vikash1987

Mar 7, 2004
New York
Larry Keenan still has the puck from the 1st Goal in St Louis Blues franchise history.

https://northernontario.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1698245

Jack Buck called the 1st Goal in Blues history.

Jack Buck Calls The 1st Goal in St. Louis Blues History: Oct. 11, 1967

Thanks for those links. That KMOX radio call of the Blues' first goal is a real treasure!

If the memory of his 2011-12 Score card serves, Tim Stapleton scored the last goal in Atlanta Thrashers history.

Kelly Buchberger scored the Thrashers' first goal, off a nice feed from Patrik Stefan entering the zone. I will share the list of post '70s first goals later, but wanted to gauge people's thoughts first on this slice of history from the 1960s and 70s.

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
Kelly Buchberger scored the Thrashers' first goal, off a nice feed from Patrik Stefan entering the zone. I will share the list of post '70s first goals later, but wanted to gauge people's thoughts first on this slice of history from the 1960s and 70s.

Didn't know that Buchberger scored the first one. Checked Hockey Reference ( what a great site) to confirm and Stapleton did get the last one. Interesting stuff with the 60s and 70s, especially Bathgate getting the first for the Pens and Bill Masterton for the North Stars.

Reactions: vikash1987

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Would need to go track the actual first goals from the pre-NHL franchises—I know that's not the thread's question but could be interesting.

The NHL criteria feels artificial for them.

vikash1987

Mar 7, 2004
New York
Would need to go track the actual first goals from the pre-NHL franchises—I know that's not the thread's question but could be interesting.

The NHL criteria feels artificial for them.

It's a legitimate point. For example, the Quebec Hockey Club/Bulldogs were in five other amateur/pro leagues prior to the NHL, and technically their first goal would've been way back in 1878.

My lists are strictly from an NHL perspective, but if there's information on first goals pre-NHL, it would be great to have that.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Nice work.

Out of curiosity how did you determine what to be called team. For example as far as I know for example Falcons to Red Wings was just renaming like New York Americans to Brooklyn Americans?

vikash1987

Mar 7, 2004
New York
Nice work.

Out of curiosity how did you determine what to be called team. For example as far as I know for example Falcons to Red Wings was just renaming like New York Americans to Brooklyn Americans?

The re-branded Brooklyn Americans didn't actually play in Brooklyn. They remained in Manhattan (Madison Square Garden). Had they actually relocated, I would've included them.

It was kind of like the Phoenix Coyotes becoming the Arizona Coyotes, or the California Seals becoming the California Golden Seals. No real substantive change.

If the team names changed completely, as in the cases of Detroit and Toronto, I included them.

Last edited:

vikash1987

Mar 7, 2004
New York
Ok, this got me curious, so I dug into the newspaper archives and found the following pre-NHL info for the Montreal Canadiens

Technically, their first game was January 5, 1910, as part of the Canadian Hockey Association. This was a 7-6 OT win at home over the Cobalt Silver Kings, in which Newsy Lalonde scored the Canadiens' first-ever goal, 17 minutes into the first half (I forgot that, back in those days, games were split not by periods but rather by first half & second half).

However, this game ended up not counting in the standings, since the Canadian Hockey Association folded days later. The Canadiens were absorbed by the National Hockey Association, where they would go on to play until the NHL came into being. So, the Canadiens' first official game, as part of the National Hockey Association, was January 19, 1910. This was a 9-4 loss (away game) to the Renfrew Creamery Kings, in which Newsy Lalonde repeated history by again scoring the Canadiens' first-ever goal, 5 minutes into the first half.

vikash1987

Mar 7, 2004
New York
Here were the last goals scored by defunct teams from the Expansion Era (in some cases, these were playoff goals in elimination games):

I don't remember in which of these cases it was known, at the time, that these were in fact the last games and the last goal scorers.

vikash1987

Mar 7, 2004
New York
Here's the rebel league for you: the first WHA goals from the inaugural '72-'73 season. I included this here, primarily, to pay tribute to the "true" first goals for the Oilers, Whalers, Jets and Nordiques.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
It was Brunette.

If you're thinking '98-'99 preseason, Marian Cisar got the first goal (in Huntsville, Alabama!)

I can't believe I left the Senators out. Updated/fixed :)

Funny enough I was thinking Walker before I looked at the spread sheet, then I saw Brunette on there and recognized immediately that I was wrong.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
It's sad to know that Bill Masterton scored the first goal in Minnesota North Stars history and then lost his life to the game in the very same season. Bill had a good job in the Twin cities and a young family before the NHL came knocking. He lost everything a man can loose to play hockey. I'm glad it was Bill who scored that goal so he can be remembered this way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad