First and Last Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

harvey

Jun 5, 2006
Ottawa
As I vowed during the lockout, I will not be going to the first home game of the season tonight. This marks the first time in 20 years where I will miss the opening game.
Further this is the last time I will have that opportunity, as I am retiring my seasons tickets
and will not renew next year.

It has been a great and wonderous ride, but the greed of the players and owners pushed me to my decision that it is time to no longer have my extraordinary tickets that I have enjoyed for years.

I am a huge hockey fan, and a fan of the Senators, but of the NHL? NO.

I can well understand why many of you can't wait to see a game.. This is what I was like when I was a kid and younger than I am right now.

But I have to look forward to my retirement, to helping family in need, rather than feeding the millionaires and billionaires.

I'll still watch the games on TV. I'm still a fan......

but I am very sad.

take care

neutral zone trap13

Dec 15, 2009
Ottawa
At least you'll still remember all the games you went to! What are some of the best games you went to at the Civic Centre or Corel Centre/Scotiabank Place?

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
Good for you. Thanks for supporting our team in the past.

harvey

Jun 5, 2006
Ottawa
At least you'll still remember all the games you went to! What are some of the best games you went to at the Civic Centre or Corel Centre/Scotiabank Place?

WOW, the VERY first home game at the civic centre when we beat montreal.
Loosing a game after being ahead 5-0 in the third :O

Our first playoff game WOW was it ever loud at the corel center.

Our first playoff series win.

Going to the stanley cup finals... oh if we just could have beat the refs.

ah well, it was a great run

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Ok well, thanks for letting everyone know.

You'd think that the older you get, the less you'd be offended by such things. In the end its still only ever going to be a game and you can spend your money on whatever you want. You obviously care too much about a fickle form of entertainment.

harvey

Jun 5, 2006
Ottawa
I was the 850th person to sign up for the senators to support getting a team in Ottawa. That was my priority number. I'm sure it is very much lower now.
I NEVER EVER thought in my life I would be able to have season's tickets for a NHL
team.

My name is up on the wall in Scotia Bank Place for being one of the season's ticket
holders who supported the team when we moved there.
I eventually got my seats, section 308, row 2, seats 7,8 after 5 years of moving, the seats that I think are the best in the house for actually watching hockey.
I love the game.
i will miss being at all the games.
But I still will buy seats for a few games, maybe a box for a game for my friends.

As a kid growing up in North Bay, I dreamed of playing in the NHL, but even though I was big for my age, I was too slow. Being able to go to games has been a privilege for me.

But now, to see the money they get where I really don't see a proporitional giving back....

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I can understand and support your position.

The new CBA will not stop the quick rise in the cap and the current spread between the floor and top is much too large. That will only encourage teams with unlimited funds to spend to the max and push the cap up. The owners haven't learned their lesson. Case in point the latest signing in TO.

There was never any thought to long term reduction in prices for the fans it was all about how to split the pie and make it bigger for themselves.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
Sorry to see you go , nanuuq. Hopefully even though you won't be in the stands, we will still see you around the Sens board.

Cheers man.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Thank you, you are one of the reasons we have a home town team to cheer for.

In my opinion the lockout went on too long but maybe some of the adjustments will be better for the league in the long run

But I know that there may be other ways to spend the money that could be more important for you. But I bet you will always support this team whether or not you attend as many games.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The reality is the lockout does a lot more to ensure that we do not end up like the Jets or the Nordiques. If you love your Senators you would at some point realize that while no one here enjoyed the lockout, we have to ensure that the CBA keeps our team viable. I don't know what I would do if we ended up like Winnipeg or Quebec City. I understand your frustration and I have had seasons since 96 and while my partner kinda wanted to skip this year ( mad) I told him that I want to watch Alfie play. I have watched him all his career and I want to enjoy every last minute and he quickly changed his tune...but there is bitterness.

I have chosen to move on and the wisdom that I have attained as I am older now is enjoy what life has, enjoy what you can do today because you don't know what tomorrow may be.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
I understand the sentiment. One of the Sens players made a very astute observation, that it was great to have a full house with cheering fans, but that doesn't mean there isn't lingering ill will towards the situation and what happened.

I think that is correct. I have the first two games and am cheering the guys on but don't intend to renew my half season ticket next year. I will buy games here and there and attend some, cheer them on the tv but feel abosultely no motivation to making a big commitment next season.

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
This is what the Boycott looked last night

Ottawa-SBP2013_zpsec3abd61.jpg

Shaky picture brought to you by BB phones

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Do they have puck in your ivory tower?

I only meant this as a joke but I can't help but laugh at some of the people who are 'boycotting' hockey. Its easy to empathize with them and honestly we really should be letting the owners and players have it for their behaviour but some people who take no moral stand against anything then get all up in arms about this topic are hilarious. We knowingly give our money to ruthless billionaires and millionaires who harm far more than our entertainment industry on an hourly basis. Try not shopping at Walmart or buying chinese products first then get back to me about these greedy puck mongers. Maybe vote once in awhile too.

Leachman

May 13, 2007
The 'greedy NHL owners and players' are analogous to the two sides in any labour conflict; primary public school teachers vs. The government of Ontario, or UAW vs. the big three auto makers is another.

Greed is all around us; the difference with the NHL labour issue is it pokes everyone out of their apathy because we love hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad