Firing Goodenow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
For a start, I know nothing about Labour laws in the US but over here you can fire someone without a payoff if they failed to do their job properly.

Now I dont think anyone can argue Goodenow has failed massively in not taking the previous offer and cost the players a huge amount of money.

Could they legally fire him without compensation?

misterjaggers

Sep 7, 2003
The Duke City
Steve L said:
For a start, I know nothing about Labour laws in the US but over here you can fire someone without a payoff if they failed to do their job properly.

Now I dont think anyone can argue Goodenow has failed massively in not taking the previous offer and cost the players a huge amount of money.

Goodenow can't do anything without the approval of the executive committee. He may have given them bad advice, but they were dummies that accepted it.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Fire him, yes.
Without compensation, doubt it.
The players union would likely have to compensate the remaining term of his contract, subject to the terms agreed upon in the contract.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
Well if that's the only law for it than no way they can fire him without paying him. "not doing your job right" is probably more about illegal actions and **** like that. Goodenow might not have done a good job, but that doesn't mean he didn't do his job right. If he did anything wrong over the last year the players had the right to fire him and maybe if he wasn't representing their views than they could have done it for free....but not now just because they feel he lost negotiations for them.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Steve L said:

He has a contract. Just as you can't get rid of player with a contract because you don't like how he is performing on the ice, same goes for Goodenow. You could get rid of him, but he would still have to be paid the terms of the contract.

But he did do his job. His job was netgotiate a deal and that he has done.

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
consider that goodenow is directly responsible for the ridiculous success of the '94 bargainings....all it's going to take is one loophole to be exploited by player's agents and the owners will be tripping over themselves to pay rookies $3 million dollar bonuses again.

just an example, of course, because surely they'll tie that one up....the point is, a lot of the ramifications of a 500+ page agreement won't be known for years to come. the players did get hosed as to what they could have gotten in february, and they might be pissed, but they made their bed and now they lay in it.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
go kim johnsson said:
Anyone know when Goodenow's contract is up?
I believe before the missed season that he had a total of three years. I can't remember where I read it or if it included a missed season. I do know he is not taking a salary until the players are being paid.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
SJeasy said:
I believe before the missed season that he had a total of three years. I can't remember where I read it or if it included a missed season. I do know he is not taking a salary until the players are being paid.

Well if the CBA is going to be longer than the duration of Goodenow's contract there's no sense to buy him out. When an executive director won't even be "needed" for another 6 years.

barnburner

Apr 23, 2004
go kim johnsson said:
Well if the CBA is going to be longer than the duration of Goodenow's contract there's no sense to buy him out. When an executive director won't even be "needed" for another 6 years.

Good point. The players don't have to suffer any further loss of face by firing him, and at the end of his contract, "Deadline Bob", slips off into the sunset in search of another deadline, armed with a healthy bank account...

Lanny MacDonald*

Maybe the NHLPA will be able to negotiate a "one time buy-out with a 24% rollback mechanism" with Goodenow.

;)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
go kim johnsson said:
Anyone know when Goodenow's contract is up?
Apparently Goodenow has 3 years remaining on a deal that pays him a little over $3 mil per year ..

The papers reported a while back that the buyout to the NHLPA if he was fired would be around $10 mil US ..

Hoss

Feb 21, 2005
What would be the advantage to firing Goodenow? Better to keep him on, IMHO. His advice about the lockout may not have been the best way to proceed but ultimately the responsibility lies with the players. His contract will be up before the new CBA expires. The PA has to pay him one way or the other, might as well make him work for it. He may fall on his sword anyway and resign.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Hoss said:
What would be the advantage to firing Goodenow? Better to keep him on, IMHO. His advice about the lockout may not have been the best way to proceed but ultimately the responsibility lies with the players. His contract will be up before the new CBA expires. The PA has to pay him one way or the other, might as well make him work for it. He may fall on his sword anyway and resign.

I agree with the above post and the preceding ones.

Besides this latest fiasco, Goodenow has got his members where they are today. Even in a hard, low cap environment, his members stand to make far more money that they could have collectively in 1994.

He did a good job with the last CBA, and did a good job orchestrating the increase in salaries through the sharing of information, pressuring agents, etc etc etc. It would be a disservice to feed him to the wolves.

I personally hate what he has enabled a few idiotic owners, players, and agents to do to my game, but there's no denying he has done his job for his members. If the current player percentage of player salaries/revenue was 50% instead of 76%, the players wouldn't be looking at a cap in the thirties.

It is simply fustrating that he fought this war like the last one and expected to win. This will be his legacy, and it will not be one that is cherished by anyone except his own financial adviser.

superstar436

Mar 4, 2004
Goodenow fired is a sure thing that is written on the wall.
call me gary bettman will most probably be fired.

As it is the case with CEO and presidents of companies they always get bonuses whether they do well or not.

Time to clean the garbage

LadyByngJeanRatelle

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
waseem said:
Goodenow fired is a sure thing that is written on the wall.
call me gary bettman will most probably be fired.

As it is the case with CEO and presidents of companies they always get bonuses whether they do well or not.

Time to clean the garbage

Bettman's just doing what he's told to do by the owners. They said go out and get us cost certainty. He did that. I can't see why he would be fired for that.

Brewleaguer

Jan 31, 2005
LadyByngJeanRatelle said:
Bettman's just doing what he's told to do by the owners. They said go out and get us cost certainty. He did that. I can't see why he would be fired for that.
Not for that, but he lost an entire season and the owners had $0.00 in revenues for 04/05 instead of doing negotiations the way they are doing it now. For that, I'd put him on the block.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
Brewleaguer said:
Not for that, but he lost an entire season and the owners had $0.00 in revenues for 04/05 instead of doing negotiations the way they are doing it now. For that, I'd put him on the block.

bettman has been asking goodenow to negotiate since 1999... goodenow has been stalling, and whenever hes asked about why hes stalling, he says its "part of the process"

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
I think that 95% of the NHL players hate him so much that they would all donate the money needed to buy him out as a group. Regardless if that's how it will be done, the guy is toast.

Brewleaguer

Jan 31, 2005
bcrt2000 said:
bettman has been asking goodenow to negotiate since 1999... goodenow has been stalling, and whenever hes asked about why hes stalling, he says its "part of the process"

Thats because Bettman knew he screwed up on the last one and wanted to get things changed. Bettman has been a screw up since he came from the NBA.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
ranold26 said:
Fire him, yes.
Without compensation, doubt it.
The players union would likely have to compensate the remaining term of his contract, subject to the terms agreed upon in the contract.
Slightly off topic, but I absolutely LOVE your avatar.

How much do I have to pay to shake your hand?

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
futurcorerock said:

OT... but I think the dog bowl should say NHL 2005 on it instead of CBA :)

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
Brewleaguer said:
Thats because Bettman knew he screwed up on the last one and wanted to get things changed. Bettman has been a screw up since he came from the NBA.

Didn't the owners go around him to sign the last CBA against his wishes? I can see why he should be fired because his bosses (the owners) decide to not take his advice and it turned out badly for them... :sarcasm:

iagreewithidiots

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Brewleaguer said:
I wouldnt put him on the block with some owners claiming to have lost less money by not having a season.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
futurcorerock said:

LOL, Thank you. I did it using photoshop, if you want to copy/use it, go ahead. Its all good. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->