Firing Darcy Right Now Isn't Fixing Anything

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Pre-Regier - The Sabres missed the playoffs 6 times in 27 seasons.

With Regier - The Sabres missed the playoffs 7 times in 15 seasons.

Granted, it's harder to make the playoffs now than it was prior to the NHL expanding to 30 teams. But, I don't get how the thought that Regier might not be the best choice for this team moving forward is somehow without merit.

The fact that Regier made Rolston the full time coach without a real search is a decision that could affect the team for a lot longer than RonRol is the coach.

I'm at the point where I don't really care about whether the team wins or not. That is the team that Regier has built. And it's sad.

My biggest beef with him right now is Rolston. The problems with his AHL team are worse at the NHL-level. The lack of search was troubling, even moreso now seeing the results.

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
My biggest beef with him right now is Rolston. The problems with his AHL team are worse at the NHL-level. The lack of search was troubling, even moreso now seeing the results.

Yeah I have a huge worry that he is going to majorly hurt the development of our youth that is up playing with the big club. To the point that even if/when we get another coach their development will have been "stunted" beyond repair.

Hopefully we can get a real NHL level coach before a lot of the "pipeline" comes up with the big club.

Karate Johnson*

Obviously Rolston is Darcy's biggest **** up. But hiring not only the wrong coach, but an awful coach, isn't paying a guy a million too much, or getting ripped of in a trade. Hiring an awful coach cripples your entire team until its fixed. It hurts the on ice performance (which isn't a bad thing for us) but it also hurts out players development (the only important thing right now)

The Rolston hire, and te circumstance around it ( no effort to hire anyone else) is unforgivable. It's arrogant and stupid and reeks of a desire to have a puppet as coach.

Darcy is a fool.

razzman

Mar 17, 2005
It sounds as if most on this thread want to keep Darcy until the end of the season. I'm not one of them. Enough's enough already and Regier has had 16 years to build this team. Time for a new set of eyes to oversee this operation.

I'm trying to find an address to send this Open Letter to Terry Pegula (or Ted Black).

Dear Terry,

First, I want you to know that the fans and city of Buffalo are appreciative for all the things you are doing. You renovated the First Niagara player locker rooms, added many upgrades to the arena itself. You constructed a French Connection statue tribute, along with other upgrades outside the arena to make it a more pleasurable experience coming and leaving games.

Most of all, thank you for making the Harbor Center possible. That will be a hockey fortress and the true hockey fans of WNY will benefit greatly from that Center when it opens.

However, with that said, we Sabres fans would trade all those improvements for a winning hockey team. When you first came to Buffalo, you promised that we’d be celebrating our first Stanley Cup in approximately 3 years. You gave Darcy Regier the green light and blank check to sign whatever player he could to improve the team. The money that Regier spent on veteran players he brought in weren’t worth the big bucks he gave them.

Instead of a team in the mix for the Stanley Cup, the Sabres have become worse every year. Now they are at the bottom of the league, having won only 1 game and it looks like the season will be one of the worst in franchise history.

We appreciate everything you have done since you became Sabres owner except for one pretty big item. You kept Darcy Regier. Darcy has been here for 16 years and this is his team…a cellar dweller. Most fans wanted Darcy fired as soon as you became owner. It was time for a new set of eyes, a knowledgeable hockey man to evaluate the entire organization and set the path that would lead it to the Stanley Cup eventually. That is not happening under Regier. Sixteen years has been more than enough time for Regier to turn this thing around and have a competitive, entertaining team. Instead, fans are disgusted with the team and management. Every home game now has a huge majority of fans chanting “Fire Darcy!â€

You said when you first came to Buffalo that you would listen to the fans, would read every email, would be receptive and responsive to the feelings of the fans. The fans want a change in upper management and want it now. My question is whether you are listening?

We know you want a competitive team that will have a chance to win the Cup. Darcy warned us in the offseason that we have to prepare to suffer. What’s happening this season is even worse than we imagined. TV ratings are way down and there are more and more empty seats at every game. Is this what you want or promised us when you first came on the scene as Sabres owner? The 2013-14 season could be the absolute worst in Sabres history. The time for a change at GM was a few years ago. Now it’s way overdue.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Q: You know what is worse than Regier making the hockey decisions?

A: Pegula making them.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Razzman,
1) I know you have good intentions, but open letters are kind of cheesy especially when calling for a person to be fired.

2)I don't think it would be fair to send something in speaking for the fans and the city when you are just one person. You act as if every fan has the same view, whereas I personally would feel embarrased if that letter was sent "on behalf of the fans".

3) Its not like they don't know the team stinks

4) They obviously want Darcy for the rebuild, its not like they will be reading your letter and only then realize that the team is losing and that some fans want the GM fired.

5) I personally think the "16 years" thing has gotten old. He has had competitive and entertaining teams in those years. He has not been rebuilding for 16 years. We have to accept that a lot that goes into winning a cup is luck.

6)As mentioned several times, firing Darcy now will only result in a new GM that continues the rebuild, or elevates us to a draft pick not in the top 5.

7) Did I mention that it isn't right for someone to talk on behalf of many that disagree. Saying "fans are disgusted with management" isn't entirely true, and isn't the best thing to write to, well, the management.

Sorry for the rant, and I meant nothing personal, I just disagree with what you wrote.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
I'm on your side Razzman. And completely agree 16 years is more than enough...He's failed...We are the worst team in the league...Time for a new guy to take the reigns over.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
I'm on your side Razzman. And completely agree 16 years is more than enough...He's failed...We are the worst team in the league...Time for a new guy to take the reigns over.

Agree.... Regier is long past his due.... Regier had a few good runs as descibed in the TSN article Woodhouse posted but in the end he's a loser...

Lindy Ruff should be the General Manager right now.... Regier saved his skin by firing Ruff..... truth!

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
Agree.... Regier is long past his due.... Regier had a few good runs as descibed in the TSN article Woodhouse posted but in the end he's a loser...

Lindy Ruff should be the General Manager right now.... Regier saved his skin by firing Ruff..... truth!

Regier saved his skin by firing Ruff for sure..

But why on earth should Ruff be the GM?

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo
With the variety of complaints you hear about Mikhail Grigorenko, I can't help but think back to how "pleasantly" surprised many were when the Sabres managed to snag that promising young player (Grigs) at 12th in the draft, when early on that season, he was expected to go in the top 2 or 3.

How was that possible, right? How did the Sabres get so lucky?

Better yet, how is it that many other GM's passed on Grigs, while Darcy didn't pick up on what those other GM's apparently saw?

This explains a lot about both Grigs AND Darcy.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
With the variety of complaints you hear about Mikhail Grigorenko, I can't help but think back to how "pleasantly" surprised many were when the Sabres managed to snag that promising young player (Grigs) at 12th in the draft, when early on that season, he was expected to go in the top 2 or 3.

Better yet, how is it that many other GM's passed on Grigs, while Darcy didn't pick up on what those other GM's apparently saw?

No it doesn't.

Same boat as Nichuskin was in this year. Someone was going to take a chance on him in the first half of the first round. Don't be obtuse.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
It sounds as if most on this thread want to keep Darcy until the end of the season. I'm not one of them. Enough's enough already and Regier has had 16 years to build this team. Time for a new set of eyes to oversee this operation.

I'm trying to find an address to send this Open Letter to Terry Pegula (or Ted Black).

Dear Terry,

First, I want you to know that the fans and city of Buffalo are appreciative for all the things you are doing. You renovated the First Niagara player locker rooms, added many upgrades to the arena itself. You constructed a French Connection statue tribute, along with other upgrades outside the arena to make it a more pleasurable experience coming and leaving games.

Most of all, thank you for making the Harbor Center possible. That will be a hockey fortress and the true hockey fans of WNY will benefit greatly from that Center when it opens.

However, with that said, we Sabres fans would trade all those improvements for a winning hockey team. When you first came to Buffalo, you promised that we’d be celebrating our first Stanley Cup in approximately 3 years. You gave Darcy Regier the green light and blank check to sign whatever player he could to improve the team. The money that Regier spent on veteran players he brought in weren’t worth the big bucks he gave them.

Instead of a team in the mix for the Stanley Cup, the Sabres have become worse every year. Now they are at the bottom of the league, having won only 1 game and it looks like the season will be one of the worst in franchise history.

We appreciate everything you have done since you became Sabres owner except for one pretty big item. You kept Darcy Regier. Darcy has been here for 16 years and this is his team…a cellar dweller. Most fans wanted Darcy fired as soon as you became owner. It was time for a new set of eyes, a knowledgeable hockey man to evaluate the entire organization and set the path that would lead it to the Stanley Cup eventually. That is not happening under Regier. Sixteen years has been more than enough time for Regier to turn this thing around and have a competitive, entertaining team. Instead, fans are disgusted with the team and management. Every home game now has a huge majority of fans chanting “Fire Darcy!â€

You said when you first came to Buffalo that you would listen to the fans, would read every email, would be receptive and responsive to the feelings of the fans. The fans want a change in upper management and want it now. My question is whether you are listening?

We know you want a competitive team that will have a chance to win the Cup. Darcy warned us in the offseason that we have to prepare to suffer. What’s happening this season is even worse than we imagined. TV ratings are way down and there are more and more empty seats at every game. Is this what you want or promised us when you first came on the scene as Sabres owner? The 2013-14 season could be the absolute worst in Sabres history. The time for a change at GM was a few years ago. Now it’s way overdue.

You better not claim to be a representative of this fan base. You represent the short sighted groups who don't know what a rebuild requires. This team needs to bottom out. They shouldn't bother trying to get in 10th place just to appease fans like you . Darcy is NOT a GM for a contending team but he is a fantastic GM to have in a rebuild. He is getting us picks and prospects in great deals left and right. I'll gladly take that.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY

Dear Terry,

You can add my name... they may even know me... Robert Allen... Sabre mini pack owner 4 years running.... day one Sabre fan 1970... A frequent fan at the Aud in the old days too, before it was torn down.. (and much more)

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I must get this out, but don't the Sabres teams since 2007 play a lot like Darcy Regier's personality?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

We took a chance on the kid. Nothing wrong with that at all, particularly with another pick in the round. We went with a "safer" pick in Girgs with that 2nd pick. Not much point in acquiring extra first rounders if you not going to gamble with a few of them.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad