Firing Darcy Right Now Isn't Fixing Anything

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Some accolades are worth knowing the details about, some are not.

If your resume includes a presidents cup and not a Stanley Cup you aren't good enough.

The President's Trophy is a much less fluky accomplishment, but I'm not going to bother arguing that since people like their sports mythology. How about going to the conference finals with the same team and falling short due to the entire defense corps being injured? The idea that the only measure of success if being good enough and having the right breaks necessary to win a Cup is ridiculous, especially considering how few GMs have actually won a Cup in recent history.

Dutchess

Jan 23, 2013
Cleveland, OH
It's not fixing anything, true. It's not hurting anything either. A move now would quell the fans, and the fans need quelling.

It will quell them until the losing continues. Then they'll just look for someone else to point the finger at.

People want to blame Regier for the construction of the team and that's fine. But the team wanted him to be the guy to lead the rebuild and pulling the rug out from underneath him this early into a season we all knew would be bad is ridiculous.

The fan base needs to check itself and realize how the system works. I can't wait for the outrage when/if Vanek and Miller get moved.

heartsabres*

It's not fixing anything, true. It's not hurting anything either. A move now would quell the fans, and the fans need quelling.

It could if the new GM thinks the sabres can make the playoffs and we are drafting 13th again.

I am sick of 13th. Just finish last and get it over with. If you can´t handle it as a sabres fan then stop watching because last is where this team is headed.

I could care less of the on ice performance as long as Reinhart and McDavid are on this team 3 years from now. We could be looking at the next Blackhawks here.

Step away from the button.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Detroit hasn't needed to go through this ugliness in decades because of astute management.

How long did it take the Red Wings to win a Cup after Ilitch bought the team?

How long did they go between the last pre-Ilitch Cup and the first Ilitch Cup?

Detroit went through the Dead Wings era and that helped lay the basis for the Yzerman + The Russian 5 era that they have kept alive with Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and company.

If all goes to plan, the next few years should lay the Sabres foundation for a competitive team.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
It could if the new GM thinks the sabres can make the playoffs and we are drafting 13th again.

I am sick of 13th. Just finish last and get it over with. If you can´t handle it as a sabres fan then stop watching because last is where this team is headed.

I could care less of the on ice performance as long as Reinhart and McDavid are on this team 3 years from now. We could be looking at the next Blackhawks here.

Step away from the button.

This team isn't drafting 13th.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
How long did it take the Red Wings to win a Cup after Ilitch bought the team?

How long did they go between the last pre-Ilitch Cup and the first Ilitch Cup?

Detroit went through the Dead Wings era and that helped lay the basis for the Yzerman + The Russian 5 era that they have kept alive with Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and company.

If all goes to plan, the next few years should lay the Sabres foundation for a competitive team.

How the Wings were built and maintained is irrelevant to this day and age. They drafted high and got some gems but their sustained success was due to being one of the top 5 payrolls in the game. In many cases having payrolls that were 2 to 3x what many of their opponents were. The days of being able to that are long gone.

The Cup winner its most realistic to emulate (in terms of team building) in this era is the Bruins. They were built with smart drafting throughout the draft, good trades and a few smart UFA signings. They aren't relying on one of two recently drafted franchise superstars

Karate Johnson*

I just don't get the loyalty to Darcy. He's an alright GM with some major flaws. He's not the worst, but there are better GMs

After 17 years why not shoot for a better GM? Now is the time. It wouldn't hurt anything in regards to a rebuild. It would probably help because a new guy from outside would have no emotion when hurting the final pieces of the roster.

Yes Darcy has had a small window of success, it didn't ultimately work out. I personally don't think he was aggressive enough at adding to the teams we had that had a shot at winning.

But yeah, Darcy is replaceable. Aim higher guys.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
Perhaps....but they might end up drafting 5-8 and frankly what is the point in that?

No. They aren't drafting 5-8 either. You do realize how many wins it takes to get to 5-8? 35+. I don't see this team winning more than 30.

And if its based on the first 10, they won't even get to 20.

We have DOUBLE the chance of finishing dead last right now compared to the next worst team - Philadelphia.

Last edited:

Clock

May 13, 2006
I don't buy any argument for firing Regier that's predicated on making a segment of the fanbase feel better.

A lot of what I'm reading and hearing at the water cooler is basically a thinly veiled cover for the above.

Clock

May 13, 2006
I just don't get the loyalty to Darcy. He's an alright GM with some major flaws. He's not the worst, but there are better GMs

There's a huge distinction between being loyal to Darcy vs. not wanting to fire him for no logical reason at this point in time.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I don't buy any argument for firing Regier that's predicated on making a segment of the fanbase feel better.

A lot of what I'm reading and hearing at the water cooler is basically a thinly veiled cover for the above.

And they won't. I could see Reiger's time ending, but it would be in the summer months IF it happened.

We're head-deep in the dark-days boys. Pace yourselves. It'll likely be 2015,2016 before we pull out of the death dive. In these turbulent times, you just gotta focus on flashes. Zadorov's goal. The checking of Larsson,Girgensons,Flynn. We're bad by all accounts, but look at the standings. 2-3 teams right with us.

heartsabres*

And they won't. I could see Reiger's time ending, but it would be in the summer months IF it happened.

We're head-deep in the dark-days boys. Pace yourselves. It'll likely be 2015,2016 before we pull out of the death dive. In these turbulent times, you just gotta focus on flashes. Zadorov's goal. The checking of Larsson,Girgensons,Flynn. We're bad by all accounts, but look at the standings. 2-3 teams right with us.

Plus these kids are not idiots or pieces of glass. Why people think losing or terrible coaching will destroy their entire future is just ludicrous.

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012

If he hitched his wagon to the wrong coach, is that enough of a reason to fire him during the season? If not, is it enough of a reason to fire him at the end of the season?

Whammer

Sep 22, 2005
Grand Island
www.myspace.com
If he hitched his wagon to the wrong coach, is that enough of a reason to fire him during the season? If not, is it enough of a reason to fire him at the end of the season?

Add to the fact that apparently there was no coaching search either. If that is true then that fact along with Rolston being in over his head are good enough for me to fire Darcy at the end of the season.

heartsabres*

If people are worried about problems now in the dressing room also with the trade of Vanek and Miller looming what do people think will happen to Buffalo if they fire a NEW coach and General Manager after 10 games into a season. Not going to happen.

It is the type of thing happening in the off season and I think it still might not happen until after next year.

Last edited by a moderator:

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
If people are worried about problems now in the dressing room also with the trade of Vanek and Miller looming what do people think will happen to Buffalo if they fire a NEW coach and General Manager after 10 games into a season. Not going to happen.

It is the type of thing happening in the off season and I think it still might not happen until after next year.
This organization does so many things at a snail's pace, it would be a breath of fresh air if Pegula admitted how wrong he's been and did fire Regier after game #11. Regier should have been fired at least twice already since Pegula purchased the team.

There are a plethora of reasons to fire Regier yesterday. I don't care how odd the timing looks if it happend today. It needs to happen. Waiting to do it does what? I'm reading posts about how silly the Sabres will look if they do it now. How silly do they look for NOT doing it??

It's not about how the dressing room will feel about it. It's about an organization admitting it's mistakes. That's progress. Don't worry, they'll still finish in the bottom 3. The rebuild will continue without Regier.

Karate Johnson*

There's a huge distinction between being loyal to Darcy vs. not wanting to fire him for no logical reason at this point in time.

I've been very clear on why I personally want to go in another direction. Nobody has to agree. I don't want him as the long term GM here. We could fire him and Rolston and lose every game this year and that would be fine.

I don't care if we win this year, and I don't expect firing the GM to improve the on ice product this season.

heartsabres*

This organization does so many things at a snail's pace, it would be a breath of fresh air if Pegula admitted how wrong he's been and did fire Regier after game #11. Regier should have been fired at least twice already since Pegula purchased the team.

There are a plethora of reasons to fire Regier yesterday. I don't care how odd the timing looks if it happend today. It needs to happen. Waiting to do it does what? I'm reading posts about how silly the Sabres will look if they do it now. How silly do they look for NOT doing it??

It's not about how the dressing room will feel about it. It's about an organization admitting it's mistakes. That's progress. Don't worry, they'll still finish in the bottom 3. The rebuild will continue without Regier.
in the 100 years of professional sports and any major sport, have you ever seen that happen? Never.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

The summation of your second paragraph is essentially "I don't care, we need to fire Regier, get it done!" Your third then concludes "We'll still be bad."

Then what's the point? "admitting...mistakes?" They actually did that already, last season. They concluded that the current team wasn't going to win much, and started shipping off parts for futures. Those futures, are still today, futures.

The cry for Regier's firing immediately is advised against by some here, because its illogical. He didn't build a team for this season, which is why we're just a loose collection of talent. He's here now, (in my opinion), because he's shown great ability to maximize trade value, and we have trades coming very soon that could have great impact on the future.

Now, if you asserted come draft time he shouldn't be here, I could at least understand it. Right now, its just an emotional response.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad