Firing Darcy Right Now Isn't Fixing Anything

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
The only point that could be made is that perhaps someone could come in a get a better return for either Miller or Vanek, but I'm not sure I could buy in to that.

Devine has the stink of Darcy so of course everyone in Buffalo would hate him as a replacement, but I think he could be a good GM somewhere else.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Sure seems that way right now.

I think somehow people expected us to be competitive during a rebuild. They don't exactly go hand-in-hand, especially in the beginning stages of a rebuild.

yea, Vanek and Miller will keep us from being awful :rolleyes:

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
fire the fan base... they're too soft for a rebuild

Letting Regier fix this team is like asking George W. Bush to help fix our economy.

Lets just call it what it is though, Regier is trying to clean up his own mess. That is why there is frustration. The rebuild sounds great, we have been asking for it for years and ignored by the same GM that is now doing it.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Lets just call it what it is though, Regier is trying to clean up his own mess. That is why there is frustration.

you are the fan base i speak of

Last edited by a moderator:

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
you are the fan base i speak of

I have another question, how many years with no playoffs does Regier get? We will be at 3 years. He has never gone more than 3 years. Does he get 7 years no playoffs? Where do you draw the line.

Those are my 2 biggest reasons for letting Regier go. There was already frustration and anger with Regier, and they want fans to endure a long playoff drought, at least that's what it sounds like.

I think many fans needed something new and fresh, and this will get ugly because they kept Regier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Firing Regier now will, of course, not fix anything for this season (assuming "fix" means more wins).

Firing Regier now may or may not fix this team in terms of how quickly and how efficiently they execute this rebuild. There is, hopefully, information the decision-maker's have that we don't as to the progress of this rebuild. A decision to keep him, or remove him, is based on information we don't have access to.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Fans need to see through the process.

Had we done what many of us stated 2 years ago and started then, we would have been nearing the turn of the rebuild now and last year we could've suffered through half a season to get MacKinnon/Drouin/Barkov.

We are doing it right, it just takes time and patience. (see Blackhawks and Penguins)

If we do this right, we should have a competitive team for years, especially if Regier resigns guys this time (granted ownership issues are stable now)

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
You can rebuild your roster and not be this pathetic.

And I'm going on record saying they (team management) weren't anticipating being this bad.

But it's still early

And I'm going on record saying they were.

Hence, "suffering."

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I have another question, how many years with no playoffs does Regier get? We will be at 3 years. He has never gone more than 3 years. Does he get 7 years no playoffs? Where do you draw the line.

Previous years don't matter... starting this year, he gets this year + 2 to show he has the team headed in the right direction.

drawing lines is silly. you can draw lines. I'll looks at the details along the way.

Those are my 2 biggest reasons for letting Regier go. There was already frustration and anger with Regier, and they want fans to endure a long playoff drought, at least that's what it sounds like.

I don't measure the whole... I measure the eras. or the different situations... they are independent tenures imo. 4 different owners with completely different objectives, business philosophies, and goals.

I think many fans needed something new and fresh, and this will get ugly because they kept Regier.

and that's just being blindly angry...

arsenalgooner

Nov 2, 2011
Fans need to see through the process.

Had we done what many of us stated 2 years ago and started then, we would have been nearing the turn of the rebuild now and last year we could've suffered through half a season to get MacKinnon/Drouin/Barkov.

We are doing it right, it just takes time and patience. (see Blackhawks and Penguins)

If we do this right, we should have a competitive team for years, especially if Regier resigns guys this time (granted ownership issues are stable now)

And, the Sabres have an owner that actually seems to give a darn. The Hawks re-birth didn't start in earnest until Bill Wirtz passed (though the groundwork was laid near the end of his time). The Hawks were basically in perpetual rebuilding mode from 98-2008 or so. No playoffs, no high end prospects. Just a bunch of has beens and some never will be's. One of the biggest issues the Hawks faced though was in the front office. The same group of Wirtz cronies ran the team, and I don't think it's a coincidence that an entirely new front office resulted in the rebirth of the team.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY

And I'm going on record saying they (team management) weren't anticipating being this bad.

But it's still early
I think any roster with Ron Rolston would have a losing record. This is a bad but not terrible roster playing for a terrible coach.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

But it's still early

You have to... otherwise, the cracks in your beliefs will begin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad