Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
It’s pretty sad the lack of Kings coverage post the end of season collapse. The most news I’ve seen is the head coaching vacancy and the AHL team’s success.

With Keith getting fired in Toronto, there is some speculation that a quiet market like LA might work for him. The pressure point here is McLellan’s money. As long as he’s on the books for next year, there’s no flexibility for coaching budget.

But if Todd manages to grab a bag in NJ, Toronto, Seattle, Utah, Winnipeg, or even SJ, then an option beyond Hiller exists.

98% chance that Jim is back. There’s too many hard decisions to make now. So the head coach is a coin flip just like goalies and you’re better off going cheap than blowing a wad.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
I’m reminded of a PP goal the Oilers scored in Game 5 of last year’s playoffs where Roy just allowed Kane to skate closer and closer and score. I’m not going to miss his play. I’m just pissed we’re getting nothing for him.
I sure would hope the Kings would at least try to get him sent to a team before the FA window opens that he'd like to negotiate with and get one of those draft picks for rights to negotiate. I doubt they will, but you'd hope.

Magicman

Mar 18, 2008
It’s pretty sad the lack of Kings coverage post the end of season collapse. The most news I’ve seen is the head coaching vacancy and the AHL team’s success.

With Keith getting fired in Toronto, there is some speculation that a quiet market like LA might work for him. The pressure point here is McLellan’s money. As long as he’s on the books for next year, there’s no flexibility for coaching budget.

But if Todd manages to grab a bag in NJ, Toronto, Seattle, Utah, Winnipeg, or even SJ, then an option beyond Hiller exists.

98% chance that Jim is back. There’s too many hard decisions to make now. So the head coach is a coin flip just like goalies and you’re better off going cheap than blowing a wad.
The Kings press coverage isn't good, and it will never be good, that's life.

The Kings can pay any available coach they want I don't recall a salary cup on staff regardless of what TM does.

Baghdad Rob will continue to spew the company line, period, get used to it. As far as Luc, I think the Grecian Formula soaked into his brain, so it's not polite to pick on the afflicted.

The issue is ownership, end of story. When Phil and Ed decide they want to build a winner, they will call Beckerman and tell him to start over. And until that happens, the Kings will continue to be directed by 3 words, Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be

The Kings can pay any available coach they want I don't recall a salary cup on staff regardless of what TM does.

Baghdad Rob will continue to spew the company line, period, get used to it. As far as Luc, I think the Grecian Formula soaked into his brain, so it's not polite to pick on the afflicted.

The issue is ownership, end of story. When Phil and Ed decide they want to build a winner, they will call Beckerman and tell him to start over. And until that happens, the Kings will continue to be directed by 3 words, Lather, Rinse, Repeat.
I was realizing that it was a while since you posted and then I remembered that you are ....

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC

You’re absolutely correct. I’m just trying to draw attention to the propaganda that keeps the majority of the fan base distracted.

I think the one thing ownership pays attention to is missed projections for more than 1 year in a row. I assume that if management fails to meet revenue forecasts two seasons in a row, then regime change is at hand.

The real question is can Dan B. hire a real winner as the manager of our club.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I’m reminded of a PP goal the Oilers scored in Game 5 of last year’s playoffs where Roy just allowed Kane to skate closer and closer and score. I’m not going to miss his play. I’m just pissed we’re getting nothing for him.
Yeah pretty crazy they didn't try to get anything for him. Im not going to miss him either.

• Haha
Reactions: Surf Nutz

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
Save us.

GettyImages-451650104-e1433370159434.jpg

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
I don’t remember where I heard this (32 Thoughts maybe) but if McLellan gets another job, he doesn’t keep getting paid by the Kings next season. Most coach contracts have a clause where they do have to pay a guy if they fire him, but if he gets another coaching job, they’re off the hook. AEG has the money anyway but I’m sure there’s a budget and I can see them not wanting to hire a big name 5M coach if they have to pay Todd next season. Beckerman could wait it out and tie Hiller’s fate to Blake’s.

This is all from my memory of a podcast. It could all be nonsense so let’s keep that in mind you guys.

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
We have basically become Leafs West. Kings also have an expensive and deeply flawed Core 4 with Kopitar, Doughty, Fiala and Dubois. Stitching together a Frankengoalie situation because you overspent on forwards. Robitaille is our version of Shanahan, both should be unemployed. Our front office philosophy is going to be the same fail, we know best just run it back again it will work, because doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is a time-tested road to success.
:pullhair::deadhorse🤮

Oh look Keefe is available, watch Blake bring him in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schrute farms

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
We have basically become Leafs West. Kings also have an expensive and deeply flawed Core 4 with Kopitar, Doughty, Fiala and Dubois. Stitching together a Frankengoalie situation because you overspent on forwards. Robitaille is our version of Shanahan, both should be unemployed. Our front office philosophy is going to be the same fail, we know best just run it back again it will work, because doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is a time-tested road to success.

I think you’re wrong because scarily enough it sounds like the core is still only Kopitar and Doughty.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010

Leafs West without all the valuable assets with trade value

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
Anyone catch Luc imitating Colonel Jessups there? You just know he spent all last night reciting the words in front of a mirror.

Luc: “on our wall we have words like “intregrity, passion, family. Nobody has more integrity than Rob. You know we’re all family…(trails off on some nonsense).”

Jessup : “We use words like "honor," "code," "loyalty." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something.”
Been away since that putrid presser. Spent 3 hours reading every post since Monday.
My last one was that I was not a Blake lover or hater....yet I didn't like Luc and thought he was the bigger problem. Since seeing the presser and reading every post. I am off the Blake fence and with you all, (or any pro Blake's out there or the remaining in hiding?) I was not a Blake lover and was pretty good with most deals, from one of the earlist, Muzzin to one of the last; Portillo. PLD was a group thing. However, this thing is rudderless at best and sinking at worst. I wish ownership would fire them all.

I was going to post the post above, reciting in the mirror even, but not mentioning Col Jeeup. lol.
Ecerything Luc said was shtt and he was so glib. F HIM. The integrity and passion crap....and the "man, we were right there...so close". WTAF? 0 for 10? on the PP and PK giving upo apx 50% , 2 years running? Close in altrernate universes....he now looks like he's from another dimension...a dark one. I'm honeslty not sure that's him. LOL. He used to laugh and be afable....still, not that endearing....I liked Luc the player and Blake, the player before the C ripping off. I'm now done with both of them.

The hope? Not a lot. I've tried to be less pessimistic - not quite on the positive power energy mind can change things in life. I do like that TMAC is forever gone. I hope they hire a good coach that can change things and help change culture...but that's mostly on the players. Hearing Bylsma? Stanovich mentioned U of Denver coach. David Carle. Interesting. Then there's Evason...and now Keefe out there. Maybe it would be refreshing going with someone fresh, like Carle. If he would even know what he was getting into.

I want to give the PLD buyout hopefuls that there *may* be hope...but I think a deal could honestly happen. The hope, being last yr exit presser, Blake, when asked about Cal..."we believe Cal is an NHL goaltender...we need to make him get back there"....3 weeks later, he was quickly jettisoned. SO, don't believe these clowns. I think the presser shows that Blake and Luc are not feeling good about things...maybe personally, professionally, or like they know things are total shttt....compared to last few pressers...some optimism...some smiles and laughs. It's now like they know it's total shht...what that leads to?

They say "we believe in this group...we need to push them to the next level" WTF? Yeah, let's push Fiala to be Rantenan and push QB to be McDavid. WTF? Each year, they do something out of left field, to a degree...Danault signing July 1. Arvy, Edler...and the next Summer, Fiala. Then the PLD horrible atrocity. That include Durzi to Yotes, Cal and Walker to PHI and taking 2.0 mil of Proverov? So, I think they are planning something kinda big...but it will be more to correct the PLD thing....so the result may be that whatever that looks like? Will be going backwards to the day before PLD...AT BEST.

I don't want to speculate, except some salary retained and taking back another contract. Was there truth to they had a deadline deal with Markstrom and he declined to come to LA? SO, I think they tried to make some deals and that PLD for Ulllmark thing was out there. I am not one for the 6+ million goalie solution, that could be a 3-5 yr kind of deal...with Portillo being 24 in Sept. I'm more for a Luarent Brossoit 2 year deal? 2.00 .927 and 15-5 record with WPG. BETTER numbers than the 6.16 Million Hellebuyck. These 6+ mil goalies on longterm deals don't often workout. I am glad that they didn't resign Korpisalo...dodged one there. I say no to Talbot and try to upgrade to 31 yr old Brossoit...and only sign Rittich 1 yr, if cannot get Brossoit or someone better...Jusse Saros seems too costly in assets and Ullmark...not sure about him. Glad they finally have decent G pipeline with Portillo, Slukynsky and Ingham. Some legit talent.

Say let Arvy and Roy walk, try to get a draft pick for each...and let Liz, Grund, Lewis go 100%. Time for a 100% retool line 4 with size and toughness, that can skate an NHL shift. Time for Clarke, Turcotte and Akil....I was at several Reign games in Colo and thought Akil was the best player some games and we saw it translate with the Kings...he feels the game and has good instincts...seems like one that can elevate and nothing phases him. Love that he and Turc have turned corners. Give them spots. FKKKK signing vets that will block them. Arvy, Liz, Lewis, Grund are 4 spots. 2 are Turcs and Akils, in my book.

Lastly, not for dealing #21, unless it's for a legit difference maker under 27. OR, if required to move PLD. I'd rather buyout PLD, than ADD to much / mant assets to rid of him. If they do keep him, he will never succeed with lame talent. I'd try him LW with QB his C. #21 OA...I want a homerun and no vanilla, has a few tools, has size and some skating issues..we think we can have something here bullshit....Yannetti "well, Hughes was #26 on many lists" (wtf? SO that's a good reason you took him?) Liking Dvorak, Ziemmer and Slukynsky picks...maybe there's hope...BUT, love the idea of a potential hime run like LD Kiviharju or LD Cole Hutson at 21. Yes, both smallish LD but both offensivce dynamos that can skate, elite sense...with some true dynamic offensive abilities...The Kings have SUCKED creating adding offense from the blueline...MAYBE with RD Clarke and one of these 2 (in 2 yrs) this can be something that can elevate the backend making the overall offense lift....since the Kings may never have an annual 40 goal scorer! I believe in Kempe, Fiala and QB to score 30. Hoping Ziemmer is the missing top 6 forward in the system...since the Kings effed up Arty, wtf? That pisses me off. I think what would be cool? Fire Luc....make Blake lameduck last yr contract no new extension and take away his buds, Emerson and Murray from offensive dev staff...they have not developed a single forward prospect to make an impact on the Kings! QB and Gabe were going to make it without them, messing them up. Get some good dev people...I am okay with Greene and OD...they seem to actually help develop decent defensemen! Walker, Roy, McNabb...Durrzi, Spence. But what forward has made it, due to Emerson and Murray??

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Look at the size of the Canucks D - same issue Oilers had with the Vegas D last year.

There is a difference between Doughty, Anderson, Roy, and Gavrikov vs. Petro, McNabb, Hague, Whitecloud and Zadorov, Soucey, Myers, and Cole.

Vegas and Canucks both have big mobile D who can move the puck, hit and fight, if needed.
And that's why I would go after some Vegas players. They will need some cap room in the offseason for deals and resigning guys. I'd make plays for Hague, Roy, Kolesar, Thompson, McNabb (last resort). All guys are cheap-ish so they can take them on for picks and prospects while not killing cap space for the Kings.

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
PLD, Moore, and 2nd rounder 2025 for Marner.

Gavrikov and this years 1st for Chychrun

Sign Brossoit 1 year 3 mil
Sign Martinez 1 year 2.5 mil
Sign Bertuzzi 3 years 5.5 mil
Sign Matt Martin 1 year 1 mil
Bridge Deal for Byfield

Turcotte-Byfield-Marner
Bertuzzi-Kopitar-Kempe
Fiala-Danault-Laferriere
Matt Martin-Helenius-Thomas
Lewis

Anderson-Doughty
Chychrun-Clarke
Martinez-Spence
Moverare/Englund

Brossoit/Rittich

This is too easy :sarcasm:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Surf Nutz

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008

Bridge Deal for Byfield

Turcotte-Byfield-Marner
Bertuzzi-Kopitar-Kempe
Fiala-Danault-Laferriere
Matt Martin-Helenius-Grundstrom
Lewis

Anderson-Doughty
Chychrun-Clarke
Martinez-Spence
Moverare/Englund

Brossoit/Rittich

I don't mind it, but Akil Thomas has to be in the bottom 6 over guys like Grundstrom and Lewis. Agreed about signing Brossoit, he's solid and there's the French connect angle. I think Leafs fans would completely turn on the franchise if they acquired PLD, even if it meant ridding them of Marner. I would do that trade just to banish that underachieving less-than-mid loafing waste of space.

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
I don't mind it, but Akil Thomas has to be in the bottom 6 over guys like Grundstrom and Lewis. Agreed about signing Brossoit, he's solid and there's the French connect angle. I think Leafs fans would completely turn on the franchise if they acquired PLD, even if it meant ridding them of Marner. I would do that trade just to banish that underachieving less-than-mid loafing waste of space.
Damn don’t know how I left Thomas out. Fixed…thanks

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

Bridge Deal for Byfield

Turcotte-Byfield-Marner
Bertuzzi-Kopitar-Kempe
Fiala-Danault-Laferriere
Matt Martin-Helenius-Thomas
Lewis

Anderson-Doughty
Chychrun-Clarke
Martinez-Spence
Moverare/Englund

Brossoit/Rittich

I’d much rather Clarke played with Gavrikov. It’d be a car crash with Chychrun. Plus it ignores Gavrikovs NMC.

Reactions: David Lunch

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I'd rather buyout PLD, than ADD to much / mant assets to rid of him. If they do keep him, he will never succeed with lame talent. I'd try him LW with QB his C. #21 OA...

Pretty much. I would prefer that he was jettisoned from the team in any way possible no matter what, but given that we are doomed to keep him I would make him a wing ASAP. He is no longer a centerman in the NHL. He has to play with some sort of drive to earn that right again. He also has to be chained to excellent players. I would roll PLD-Byfield-Fiala at this point and make that our first line.

PLD sucks but he can't sit on the third or fourth line with bottom 6'ers. Blake calls on PLD's past production as if he was playing with Lewis and Laferriere on those teams. He was literally dragged to those numbers by much better players. Hell, if you just force him to be out there on the first line and PP1 the whole year on wing with superior players maybe his value will change and hopefully would waive his clause, though he likely wants to sit on his ass in LA for the remainder of his deal laughing at BLuc's idiocy.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego

Tourigny seems like the right coach for Utah’s trajectory, I think they’re set. He’s been pumped up by the media and the new ownership since the move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad