Fire Pierre Dorion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Did he end up blowing off Mendes and TSN1200 yesterday? Mendes kept saying that they submitted multiple requests to have him appear on the Drive and they never got an answer, then I got home.
No idea ... not an avid listener.. I just catch the tapes after

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Washington was a very successful regular season team. How can you say that rebuild in 2004 didn’t work? They were the worst team in the league that year, and have been one of the best teams the last ten years.

Rebuilds are only about playoff success to you? If so, that’s fine, but that’s where you and I disagree.

My examples were with teams that were awful. Bottom of the standings. They turned it around and become top teams. Not all of them won cups, some did, others didn’t, but I still look at those rebuilds as being successful.

It doesn’t always work. There’s no guarantee if you strip it down you will become a top team,but I objected to the comment that it rarely works. I don’t agree with that.
Playoff success would be critical to me, yes. For instance, people are saying Toronto is a successful rebuild. I don't call going out in the first round a successful rebuild. You need playoff success because it is about winning the Cup. I would hate to be the Oilers, Carolina, Phoenix, Buffalo, Islanders etc...where drafting high has not worked. There is more to it, right? You need a lot of different pieces to shape a team.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Playoff success would be critical to me, yes. For instance, people are saying Toronto is a successful rebuild. I don't call going out in the first round a successful rebuild. You need playoff success because it is about winning the Cup. I would hate to be the Oilers, Carolina, Phoenix, Buffalo, Islanders etc...where drafting high has not worked. There is more to it, right? You need a lot of different pieces to shape a team.

Well, I would argue Toronto is a successful rebuild since they were awful for a decade and now they’re a good team. Top ten in the league.

If Ottawa rebuilds and were a top ten team in 3-5 years, I’d be happy. Better than spinning your wheels forever.

Reactions: Cosmix

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Well, I would argue Toronto is a successful rebuild since they were awful for a decade and now they’re a good team. Top ten in the league.

If Ottawa rebuilds and were a top ten team in 3-5 years, I’d be happy. Better than spinning your wheels forever.

I think they are on their way, for sure, just not there yet, you know? I wonder if they actually will get there and if their last two seasons are enough to call it a success? I guess it depends on one's expectations. I know around here we all hated first round losses.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I think they are on their way, for sure, just not there yet, you know? I wonder if they actually will get there and if their last two seasons are enough to call it a success? I guess it depends on one's expectations. I know around here we all hated first round losses.

No one likes first round losses, but making the playoffs is a whole lot better than not making them. The other problem for the Leafs was not just missing the playoffs, it was finishing 9th or 10th in the conference so they didn’t get a high pick. Then when they did, they had already traded it to Boston.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
No one likes first round losses, but making the playoffs is a whole lot better than not making them. The other problem for the Leafs was not just missing the playoffs, it was finishing 9th or 10th in the conference so they didn’t get a high pick. Then when they did, they had already traded it to Boston.

I think the Leafs got pretty lucky in their "rebuild" winning the rights to draft Matthews. Bit they haven't accomplished anything yet. They need to sign some young guys to big deals which limits their flexibility and once they've done that they are strapped to address the gaping hole on their backend. And like everyone else they have some bad money contracts. I suspect we'll see Marleau on robidas island in 19 20.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I think the Leafs got pretty lucky in their "rebuild" winning the rights to draft Matthews. Bit they haven't accomplished anything yet. They need to sign some young guys to big deals which limits their flexibility and once they've done that they are strapped to address the gaping hole on their backend. And like everyone else they have some bad money contracts. I suspect we'll see Marleau on robidas island in 19 20.
But will they get away with it without Godfather Lou...

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

The point is they finally decided to rebuild after close to a decade of patching holes. Trading Phaneuf and Kessel was the right thing to do. That team should have rebuilt ten years earlier. Well 7-8 years maybe. They kept spinning their wheels. It wasn’t working. Tearing it down was the right thing to do.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
They absolutely have accomplished something. That team had made the post season once in like 10 years. They just made the postseason 2 years in a row. The ultimate goal is to win the cup but there's no doubt that their rebuild has resulted in the best product they've put forward since the days of Sundin, Roberts and Mogilny.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I thought I heard vastly but I have not listened to it again. Nevertheless, greatly and vastly are close in my mind.
Funny I also thought it was vastly unless he says both at different times. Anyway here on HFBoards we keep the quotes accurate ;)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Just listened again:
6:15 “ greatly improved next year”
14:42 “we’re very confident we’re going to be a vastly improved hockey team next year”.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Just listened again:
6:15 “ greatly improved next year”
14:42 “we’re very confident we’re going to be a vastly improved hockey team next year”.
Ahaha. We’re both wrong and right. Confusing times here.

BritishSen

May 20, 2018
Dorion being sacked is just papering over the cracks, he's deadwood but replacing him won't change our fortunes till we have competent ownership

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Yup. I'm over this franchise until he and Melnyk are gone. I'll keep posting here until I've lost complete interest in hockey, which my guess will happen around November-ish.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic. He's in over his head, but unless ownership is sorted out first it's pointless.

Yeah, we will never know to what extent Dorion was incompetent, and to what extent he was handcuffed by impossible situations (Melnyk and Hoffman).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad