Fire Pierre Dorion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
He seems more comfortable in French as well. He speaks English well but he seems more relaxed in French
Funny you should say that. Although his first language is French, I feel he has a better flow in English and seems to search his words more en français. But that's possibly from working in English more often than not. Nonetheless, I find he was very professional here. He was thinking fast and answered everything the best that he could, in a very tactful and professional fashion.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Funny you should say that. Although his first language is French, I feel he has a better flow in English and seems to search his words more en français. But that's possibly from working in English more often than not. Nonetheless, I find he was very professional here. He was thinking fast and answered everything the best that he could, in a very tactful and professional fashion.

Yeah, I feel the same way(as a francophone). He's much more eloquent in english.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Those rebuilds were successful not just because they were bad for a while and got high first round picks. Those teams hit on those high picks, but also hit on their 2nd & 3rd round picks as well to produce legit talent... and then on top of all that, they spent money even when their teams were bad as an investment into the team - signed UFAs to flip at the deadline for more picks, made savvy trades, and invested heavily at every level of their organization.

I agree that rebuilds can absolutely have success, but just "being bad for a while" isn't enough - I think that's the point a lot of posters are trying to make when they point at Edmonton or the Islanders or many other teams who have gone towards full rebuilds without seeing the full fruit of their labour. It's a full investment from an organizational level that requires not only that you get high picks, but that your organization is fully committed both from a philosophical level (understanding that the team will be bad, committing to probably missing the playoffs for a while, making hockey decisions that are for the benefit of the future even if it hurts the present, and most importantly being able to effectively communicate that to your fanbase in a way that convinces them that the team is on the right tack and that their support will be rewarded) as well as a financial level (hiring the right people, ensuring that every level of hockey ops is properly staffed, investing in UFAs as capital to be used in hockey deals in the future, investing in marketing to help appease the fanbase during lean years of on-ice success, etc...) towards the end goal. Cutting corners at any point can mean failure.

I am highly skeptical of our organization's willingness to commit at the level necessary needed for a successful rebuild.

I agree in general, taking guarantee's nothing, you still need to manage the team well but Washington didn't really hit on it's 2nd's and 3rds. After tanking, here's the list of picks outside the 1st round to play 100 games:

2004: Lepisto 179 GP, 35 pts.
2005: Kennedy 162 gp 39 pts
2006: Perreault 496 gp 279 pts; Neuvirth 250 gp.
2007:???
2008: Holtby
2009: Orlov 365 gp 124 pts, Eakin 459 gp 181 pts
2010: Grubauer 101 gp.
2011:???
2012: Carrick 167 gp 30 pts
2014:

Not really a lot of impact guys or even guys you can't pick up as a UFA. Holtby was big, though they have Varlamov who landed them the pick for Forsberg I think, who was promptly wasted on Erat.

Washington hit on it's 1st rounders: Ovechkin, Green, Backstrom Varlamov, Alzner, Carlson, Johanson, Kuznetsov, Forsberg, Wison, Burakovsky, that's what they either used in their lineup or as currency.

Reactions: FolignoQuantumLeap

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

I have to say, considering all the mess going on, I feel bad for the guy being against the wall to answer all the tough questions. Also, as one who has judged him on his public speaking skills in the past, I think he did pretty damn good here... considering.

I will admit now that I’ve seen it all together in video it is far from his worst. He does still fluctuate between bumbling and scrambling to overconfident salesman joker. But overall considering the circumstances it was acceptable. No failing grade on this one.

And, somehow with the right picks tomorrow and the proper handling of karlsson(rE-sign or excellent return) I can quickly be back on board and excited about Senators hockey.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I will admit now that I’ve seen it all together in video it is far from his worst. He does still fluctuate between bumbling and scrambling to overconfident salesman joker. But overall considering the circumstances it was acceptable. No failing grade on this one.

And, somehow with the right picks tomorrow and the proper handling of karlsson(rE-sign or excellent return) I can quickly be back on board and excited about Senators hockey.
I feel he was very careful with his replies and think he did well.

Agreed about tomorrow... I just hope we start climbing out of that bucket and actually get out of it.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Who's responsible for the schedule? Probably should fire them too.

Once again the Sens will have the most back-to-backs out of all Canadian teams with 16, with the Habs closest with 12.

It's like they don't know what they're doing or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
So according to Dorion, he is ”really confident”that the team will be “vastly improved” and “will score more goals” than last year.

I am curious about what he said prior to last season. Will have to look that up.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
So according to Dorion, he is ”really confident”that the team will be “vastly improved” and “will score more goals” than last year.

I am curious about what he said prior to last season. Will have to look that up.
Greatly improved, he said, no?

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
You guys are so hard on Dorion. Like, you want him to be Jack Welch. Guess what? Those guys are 1 in a million and they don't manage hockey teams, they manage Fortune 500 companies.

He was pointed, he was measured, he didn't throw people under the bus, he didn't pass the blame, he didn't skirt the questions, he thought about what he was going to say and he said it confidently. I'm not sure what the expectations are for this poor guy. It's like some of you are expecting some combination of Satya Nadella and Tony Robbins.

Also, I can't help but wonder how some of you can simultaneously pin the blame on Dorion for making bad, money-focused trades while also blaming Melnyk for his spending abilities. You can't blame one guy if you truly believe the other guy's money philosophy is the greatest issue facing this team.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I think when all is said and done, folks will have to give PD some credit.
I don’t believe that any GM in the league has been dealt a more bizarre hand.
If all the GMs in the league are playing poker, then Jim Benning and Peter Chiarelli are one card short of a full hand. And I'm pretty sure one of Dorion's cards is a 'Get Out of Jail Free' card.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
The "it's not Dorion's fault, it's Melnyk who ties his hands" thing is old for me. This is not something new, this was happening well before Dorion AGREED to a 3 year extension. When you personally agree to put yourself in this position you are now to blame as you knew the conditions going in. Melnyk hasn't had some philosophy change here...

Adding to this, if none of this is Dorion’s fault he should clearly come out and state with every trade that ownership made him do it for money reasons. It’s called integrity and not being a yes man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad