Fire Pierre Dorion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It wasn't my intention to make that a lightening rod of a comment.

I guess that's what I'm saying. They lucked into Ovi as a first overall pick, not exactly genius, and they have been a good team, like we were, and finally capitalized (pun) on their trip to the finals, unlike us.

It wasn't a successful rebuild per say, it was 10 years of paying to keep players, while signing free agents, staying good, while adding pieces. Maybe it's just a difference what rebuild means.

If we were a cap team, along with the assets we have, we'd also be a good team with a successful rebuild. I think the attempt to get a better roster every year, with the money to pay for it, its what is putting teams over the top, and we don't seem to be able to do that. We swap in, and try to get better while paying close to the same. It's possible to get b better, but we have to 'win' every deal, and have every prospect be good while cheap.

Think of us having had the money to sign Oshie and simply add him to the team. Not being a cap team hurts us and our ability to compete. What exactly can we do?

At this point I just want us to ice a competitive and exciting team to watch.

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I’m refering to when Washington tore it down in 2004. Ovie drafted, Backstrom drafted two years later. Team makes the playoffs almost every year since 2008. Finally get their cup this year after years of great regular season success but flaming out in the playoffs.

You’re telling me that rebuild didn’t work? They traded away Bondra, Gonchar, Nylander, Jagr and got picks and prospects. Built for the future since they were going nowhere.

How about Chicago? Bad around the same time. Tear it down. Draft Seabrook, Kane, Toews win 3 cups with that group. Not bad right?

LA tears it down and starts over. Kopitar, Quick, Schenn, Doughty. Schenn and Simmons traded for Richards, add Carter. They win two cups.

Pittsburgh? Awful in 2003-2004. Tear it down. Win a lottery, lucky yes. Draft Fleury, Crosby, Malkin, Staal. Cup finals a few years later, cup one year later. One of the best teams over the last decade.

Don’t tell me rebuilds hardly ever work.

I look at rebuilds on a yearly basis. Took Washington more than a decade to win, but up to this year, you cannot say that anyone thought that there was anything successful about Washington. Perennial chokers.

Chicago? Yes. But for every Chicago there are ten Edmontons. Rebuilds scare me exactly for that reason, they do not guarantee success because of who is in charge of rebuilding, and the luck of drafting .

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I look at rebuilds on a yearly basis. Took Washington more than a decade to win, but up to this year, you cannot say that anyone thought that there was anything successful about Washington. Perennial chokers.

Chicago? Yes. But for every Chicago there are ten Edmontons. Rebuilds scare me exactly for that reason, they do not guarantee success because of who is in charge of rebuilding, and the luck of drafting .

Washington was a very successful regular season team. How can you say that rebuild in 2004 didn’t work? They were the worst team in the league that year, and have been one of the best teams the last ten years.

Rebuilds are only about playoff success to you? If so, that’s fine, but that’s where you and I disagree.

My examples were with teams that were awful. Bottom of the standings. They turned it around and become top teams. Not all of them won cups, some did, others didn’t, but I still look at those rebuilds as being successful.

It doesn’t always work. There’s no guarantee if you strip it down you will become a top team,but I objected to the comment that it rarely works. I don’t agree with that.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Yes rebuilds work....if you spend up to the cap as your young players reach their prime. If your a cheapo budget team you're actually probably better to have waves of good and bad years and hope a wave of entry level salary guys have incredible 1st and 2nd years and complement what you have.

Imagine if we had the Leafs' wave of 22-24 year old talent and Cheapo's internal budget. We'd have to dump 1 or 2 of their rising players to save coin and we'd never bring in a Marleau type veteran. So we could eke into the playoffs for a couple of years, then drop off quickly. Sound familiar?

Two 1st round exits. Leafs are exciting, but there is no way of knowing if that team is going to get to the next level. And budget issues will have an impact on them shortly with their rising young stars. I am not ready to say their rebuild is a success because Ottawa has won more rounds than then in the last few years, by far.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

Weren't Buffalo supposed to be super awesome after they got Eichel? Weren't the Islanders supposed to be better? Philadelphia? Jesus, the way people talked about Dallas you'd think they were going to be a dynasty. What about Florida? They had 4 top 3 picks incl. a #1 pick in 5 years.

Rebuilds aren't guaranteed to do anything but give you better draft picks.

Reactions: coladin

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Weren't Buffalo supposed to be super awesome after they got Eichel? Weren't the Islanders supposed to be better? Philadelphia? Jesus, the way people talked about Dallas you'd think they were going to be a dynasty. What about Florida? They had 4 top 3 picks incl. a #1 pick in 5 years.

Rebuilds aren't guaranteed to do anything but give you better draft picks.

Absolutely. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. If Ottawa rebuilds, the most important thing to me is to stick with the plan. Don’t half ass it this time.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Dorion says the locker room was broken and yet not one player came to them. Says maybe they need to be clearer about the open door policy.

So....he is saying the locker room was “BROKEN” but he was totally unaware because the players didn’t come crying to tell him about it??

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Listening to him now.
Sorry I know I’ve been rough on his speaking ability going way back but i HATE when he opens his mouth.
Why barely anyone else realized or admitted this from the start I am still trying to figure out.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Listening to him now.
Sorry I know I’ve been rough on his speaking ability going way back but i HATE when he opens his mouth.
Why barely anyone else realized or admitted this from the start I am still trying to figure out.
gotta link?

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
Hey, maybe our new C.O.O. Crisis Management expert is so good at his job that he hypnotizes Eugene and makes him see the light that the only way to make up for his ridiculousness and avoid a half full arena is to sign Tavares as a free agent.

Or maybe after a week looking around he just makes a run for it.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I really hope Dorion is being pain well (I doubt it), I really do.

I can’t think of a much more degrading job than being Melnyk’s patsy.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
People want to blame Dorions incompetence on Menlyk. As if to assume Melnyk is forcing him to make Terrible decisions - which also assumes Dorion is capable of making great trades/signings.

Dorion is a cheap horrible GM.

I blame Melnyk for hiring him, not for the bad decisions he's made.

Dorion sucks if Melnyk is here or not - the last thing I would want to give Dorion is more money to work with so he can spend it on 4th line plugs.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
People want to blame Dorions incompetence on Menlyk. As if to assume Melnyk is forcing him to make Terrible decisions - which also assume Dorion is capable of making great trades/signings.

Dorion is a cheap horrible GM.

I blame Melnyk for hiring him, not for the bad decisions he's made.

Dorion sucks if Melnyk is here or not - the last thing I would want to give Dorion is more money to work with so he can spend it on 4th line plugs.
Being incompetent while being the owner’s puppet aren’t mutually exclusive.

He’s both.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018

I have to say, considering all the mess going on, I feel bad for the guy being against the wall to answer all the tough questions. Also, as one who has judged him on his public speaking skills in the past, I think he did pretty damn good here... considering.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cloud and Gesus

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I have to say, considering all the mess going on, I feel bad for the guy being against the wall to answer all the tough quetions. Also, as one who has judged him on his public speaking skills in the past, I think he did pretty damn good here... considering.

He seems more comfortable in French as well. He speaks English well but he seems more relaxed in French

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad